Cancelled Singles

Archive for quick access to detailed information about the band.
Rorie

Cancelled Singles

#1 Post by Rorie »

Was just reading this here. Some of it I have heard before, but some of it seems new:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost ... stcount=68

Pet Shop Boys

It Always Comes As A Surprise [Promoted in magazines after A Red Letter Days release for an August release date but cancelled due to not being able to come up with a suitable radio edit]

Discoteca [Cancelled due to not being able to come up with a suitable radio edit]

Closer To Heaven [Would have been 4th single from Nightlife to support Musical]

London [UK release cancelled as EMI didn't want to be seen to be promoting violence in London - We were in London, Let's do it, Let's break the law]

Pandamonium [The boys felt it was a strong candidate for single release EMI felt differently and released Did You See Me Coming? instead of All Over The World then Pandamonium].

The Sodom And Gommorah Show [The boys wanted it as a single but EMI wereput off by the title alone]

Happiness Is An Option [Neil and Chris felt it was a suitable choice for lead single EMI disaprroved]

Also, I cannot remember if I have mentioned this before, but around 1999/2000 I was speaking with Mike Fiorenza. He had some good connections at the time with the US label. He told me they wanted the PSB to do a second US leg of the Nightlife Tour in the summer of 2000, and mentioned cities like Philadephia. I remember in the fall of 99 speaking with Neil after their Montreal Nightlife show, and I mentioned this to him, and he said that was the plan.

The Nightlife Tour was originally supposed to then evolve into what Mike called a "Shed Tour" doing festivals in the US. The US label (the ones who went out and remixed I Don't Know What You Want.....) really liked Radiophonic. The idea was to promote the album and the PSB liked the idea to help promote this Shed Tour thing. They wanted trance remixers. Ferry Corsten was approached but he was unavailable. I forget who the other remixer was they spoke to, but it was the same thing. It could not be completed in the time frame the US label wanted.

As we all know, the second leg of the Nightlife Tour never materialized (and I knew they had intended to have a second US leg after Europe because Neil confirmed that was the intent and we discussed specific cities they wanted to hit second time around). The Summer 2000 Tour is what actually happened, the Radiophonic single, or promo single and remixes never materialized.

R

Undertaker

Re: Cancelled Singles

#2 Post by Undertaker »

No Time For Tears and Positive Role Model were pencilled in as well and i'm sure The Survivors was. I think Neil said so on an interview for the Brit Awards.

drunk14

#3 Post by drunk14 »

i've heard somewhere that ''Miserablism'' was considered as a (first) single from ''Behaviour'', but ultimately PSB felt bored with the track and it didn't even appear on LP (I guess it was recorded as one of the first track duringthe session(s) and when album was finished, they realized it's completely out of place)
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

Nickname

#4 Post by Nickname »

Rorie wrote: Pandamonium [The boys felt it was a strong candidate for single release EMI felt differently and released Did You See Me Coming? instead of All Over The World then Pandemonium].

The Sodom And Gommorah Show [The boys wanted it as a single but EMI wereput off by the title alone]
Wrong steps.

very2000

#5 Post by very2000 »

Circa March '94, before the release of Liberation, I read on Teletext (remember that?!) how "One in a Million" was to be released as a single. I enquired about this at my local Andy's Records store (remember them?!) and the guy confirmed they weren't aware of the release, however I was the second person to ask about it that same day. Another single that never was.
Protection
Prevention
Detection
Detention

shaunh7

#6 Post by shaunh7 »

I'm sure in a Radio 1 interview they said 'To step aside' was going to be a single.

Sandy Shaw

#7 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Down in the Woods...
What's for supper?

michael888

#8 Post by michael888 »

To step aside was a double a-side with Se A Vida E in US
Down in the Wodds is a mistake which the people had repeated for many times.
A small voice of calm and reason.

Radiophonic

#9 Post by Radiophonic »

Sandy, stop confusing foreigners with irony.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

tottenhammattspurs

#10 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Saturday night forever was pencilled in too, hence the radio edit mix by love to infinty. Thank god it wasnt.
is is and isnt isnt

britboy

#11 Post by britboy »

I have no problem with Saturday Night Forever whereas I find Electricity depressing durge, hard to imagine it's from the same album.

Danimal

#12 Post by Danimal »

Radiophonic was indeed to be released as a US only maxi-single with exclusive mixes. I remember this well.

daveid

#13 Post by daveid »

Weren't Postive Role Model and SEBusiness both going to be singles from the cancelled Greatest Hits in 2000?

Danimal

#14 Post by Danimal »

I think so. There was to be three new songs on it, Positive role model, SEB, and a cover version of an old song produced by Peter Rauhoffer (don't remember which) but the cover didn't work with Neil's voice, then they decided to scrap the project because they felt they hadn't "earned" another hits compilation yet.

Frequency

#15 Post by Frequency »

I suppose the original version of Go West was a canned single from 1992, I remember they were talked out of it, at the time, by the record company.