Go West (Direct Hit Mix)

Archive for quick access to detailed information about the band.
retrofuturist

Go West (Direct Hit Mix)

#1 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Remix Service mixes often suck, but Direct Hit did a good mix of Go West back in the day. I can even remember specifically hearing this mix on the radio a few times and wondering where the hell it came from. Eventually I found out it was from this Direct Hit compilation, which now seems to be released on iTunes.

http://itunes.apple.com/au/album/direct ... d310824818

You can hear a bit of a preview of the mix on the site... it's quite good, quite percussion heavy and maintains the structural integrity of the song and doesn't sound like a jumbled mess (unless many remix service mixes)... it's also got the odd surprise 'sample' that adds to the experience.

Anyone else familiar with this mix... Enjoy? Don't enjoy? Personally I prefer it to all the Go West remixes other than those done by Brothers In Rhythm, and probably on par with the mixes from Mark Stent.

(Whilst not on the iTunes version, the original CD issue also contained a mix of FGTH's Relax 93 which IMO was better than any of the Relax 93 mixes).

Retro. :)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

grantwww

Re: Go West (Direct Hit Mix)

#2 Post by grantwww »

I hadn't heard it before so splashed out and bought it on iTunes. Not a bad remix at all in that the song is still recognisable.

There is also a good remix of Absolutely Fabulous on volume 9 of the same series.

http://itunes.apple.com/au/album/direct ... d342620355

York Minster

#3 Post by York Minster »

The Relax 93 mixes were god awful.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

DJAMIX

#4 Post by DJAMIX »

I wonder how they are dealing with copyright issues. Maybe an agreement with the Boys?
One can't find the way to peace. Peace is the way itself. (Gandhi)

VinnyM227

#5 Post by VinnyM227 »

grantwww wrote:I hadn't heard it before so splashed out and bought it on iTunes. Not a bad remix at all in that the song is still recognisable.

There is also a good remix of Absolutely Fabulous on volume 9 of the same series.

http://itunes.apple.com/au/album/direct ... d342620355
Which is what I hate about most modern remixes! If the original is good, don't obliterate it! Honestly, when did that trend start? It's obviously about the DJ being the star and remaking the song, but it doesn't work for me.

Ramzy

#6 Post by Ramzy »

[insert libraries' worth of spiel about the calling-into-question of authorship that electronic dance music culture has shiftingly driven and reflected]
I must disengage your recreational music.

retrofuturist

#7 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings DJAMIX,
DJAMIX wrote:I wonder how they are dealing with copyright issues. Maybe an agreement with the Boys?
On the booklet of the original CD it says against the track, (c) 1993 Parlophone Records

So presumably ownership resides with Parlophone?

"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

Sandy Shaw

#8 Post by Sandy Shaw »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings DJAMIX,
DJAMIX wrote:I wonder how they are dealing with copyright issues. Maybe an agreement with the Boys?
On the booklet of the original CD it says against the track, (c) 1993 Parlophone Records

So presumably ownership resides with Parlophone?

Was that then just before Pet Shop Boys Partnership took control of the catalogue?

EDIT:

24th April. I think these versions have been removed
What's for supper?

Ramzy

#9 Post by Ramzy »

The PSBP was definitely set up prior to the release of the 1993 material. I think it took place between Introspective and Behaviour, judging by the various copyright details on the album artwork. It coincided with the termination of their relationship with Tom Watkins, didn't it? Which makes it 1988 or 1989. I think.
I must disengage your recreational music.

Sandy Shaw

#10 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Ramzy wrote:The PSBP was definitely set up prior to the release of the 1993 material. I think it took place between Introspective and Behaviour, judging by the various copyright details on the album artwork. It coincided with the termination of their relationship with Tom Watkins, didn't it? Which makes it 1988 or 1989. I think.
You must be right. Well researched!

The Ab Fab mix is on Youtube btw. It seems to be a dancefloor friendly mash up of some of the official mixes!
What's for supper?