Forum Rules  |   Forum Contacts  |   Problems registering?  |   Official Website

Integral lyrics : I'm puzzled

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
nekko

Integral lyrics : I'm puzzled

#1 Post by nekko » Thu 30 Aug 2007, 7:06 pm

I definitely don't understand those lines :

Long live us
the persuaded we
integral
collectively
to the whole project
it's brand new
conceived solely
to protect you

Is that meant to be single words/sentences ? Like : "Long live us", "The persuaded we", "Integral","Collectively".

But then, what does "the persuaded we" mean (they persuaded us ?)

BTW, album and remixes version sound like Neil says "It's brandS new"... Weird... :wink:

Thanks for any explaination.

Very

#2 Post by Very » Thu 30 Aug 2007, 7:13 pm

I think it's a phrase actually
Madrid / Bucharest 2007

Posh Boy

#3 Post by Posh Boy » Thu 30 Aug 2007, 7:21 pm

I understand it to be the words from someone in the government ("us", "the persuaded we") telling you that you should be happy that they have thought up this ID project ("a project to protect you")
"Your boring face I love it"

nekko

#4 Post by nekko » Thu 30 Aug 2007, 7:40 pm

amandote wrote:I think it's a phrase actually
Long live us, the persuaded we, integral, collectively to the whole project,it's brand new, conceived solely to protect you.

which would mean :

Long term idea, for sure (we are persuaded ?), complete (?), let's gather around this whole project, it's brand new and conceived solely to protect you.

Something like this ? Still doesn't completely makes sense to me... :cry:

BlueSwan

#5 Post by BlueSwan » Thu 30 Aug 2007, 8:17 pm

The song is basically one long reference to fascism, the way I hear it. The whole concept of "if you've done nothing wrong you've got nothing to fear" is an old fascist/conservative idea that allows government almost unlimited control over its citizens. In the eyes of Neil Tennant, the concept of ID cards is one step towards a fascist society. At least that's the way I interpret it.
http://www.soundcloud.com/blueswan (Blue Swan tracks, my solo tracks and remixes)

http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)

Posh Boy

#6 Post by Posh Boy » Thu 30 Aug 2007, 8:22 pm

BlueSwan wrote:The song is basically one long reference to fascism, the way I hear it. The whole concept of "if you've done nothing wrong you've got nothing to fear" is an old fascist/conservative idea that allows government almost unlimited control over its citizens. In the eyes of Neil Tennant, the concept of ID cards is one step towards a fascist society. At least that's the way I interpret it.
Agree.
"Your boring face I love it"

CDRDJ6620

#7 Post by CDRDJ6620 » Fri 31 Aug 2007, 12:19 am

Long live us = Long live Animal Farm???

redsock

#8 Post by redsock » Fri 31 Aug 2007, 1:56 am

While we're on the subject of the meaning of the lyrics and the connotations of them, does anyone else feel that the chorus is such as strong statement, that it could be misconstrued as actually "supporting" the idea of a facist style government ? :shock: :lol:
Kind of in the same way that many companies took the lyrics of Opportunities at face value and often played the track at conventions and seminars as an anthem.

You've got to admit ...

If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear,
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here.

Is a pretty bold statement that is actually hard to argue against in light of the current terrorist threat to this country.

Let the flamewar begin .... :twisted: :P

Syncratic

#9 Post by Syncratic » Fri 31 Aug 2007, 2:55 am

I take it you understand satire?

gregf

#10 Post by gregf » Fri 31 Aug 2007, 4:20 am

I think Opportunities is more vulnerable to mis-understanding then Integral.

And I agree that Integral like the whole Fundamental album, is commenting
on a range of issues around Western civilisation as a whole,
gradually sliding into Fascism with a democratic face.
"Remember Bender, if you do it right, no one is sure you have done anything at all". -God. In Godfellas.

beautyqueen85

#11 Post by beautyqueen85 » Fri 31 Aug 2007, 4:46 am

CDRDJ6620 wrote:Long live us = Long live Animal Farm???
:lol:

redsock

#12 Post by redsock » Fri 31 Aug 2007, 10:53 am

Syncratic wrote:I take it you understand satire?
You didn't matey. :P :wink:

pethead_anna1989

#13 Post by pethead_anna1989 » Fri 31 Aug 2007, 1:32 pm

"BTW, album and remixes version sound like Neil says "It's brandS new"... Weird... "

Neil always has a very strong diction in his words, that's why I always perceive him singing "Always on my mint" :lol:

KW1

#14 Post by KW1 » Fri 31 Aug 2007, 6:54 pm

So in otherwords,

Long live us ("Long live the Government and it's people")

the persuaded we ("The Government which has been persuaded that this new ID card project is awesome", the "we" implies that the government is speaking on behalf of it's people, but the song is against the notion of ID cards and as such is satire on over-controlling governments)

integral, collectively ("all of us, the people, together as one", meaning that the ID card is now integral to you as a person. "Collectively" implying that you are now a number and no longer are an individual - you exist collectively with everyone else.)

to the whole project ("What the government has been persuaded to do - namely ID cards")

it's brand new

conceived solely
to protect you (Satire of a over-controlling government's spin to attempt to influence it's people.)

nekko

#15 Post by nekko » Mon 03 Sep 2007, 5:23 pm

Thanks, KW1, that's exactly what I expected :up:

Rational, perfect !