Track-by-Track: From Please to Nonetheless

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Too Many Shadows

Re: Track-by-Track: From Please to Nonetheless

#406 Post by Too Many Shadows »

Leonidas wrote: Sun 26 May 2024, 6:21 pm This single hit the whole PSB package. Lovely sleeve photos, good song and good b side and good versions - dance and disco mix. Even the video was bloody good - not many singles have achieved this perfect slam!

I also loved the remix 12”, substituting Heart with the word Remix with an identical font etc. That was clever branding.
Talking of packaging and branding, remember the separate Neil and a Chris sleeve designs? Possibly not the sole reason Heart got to number one, but it can't have done any harm.

Here in the UK, Discogs average price for Neil cover: £1.90. Discogs average price for Chris cover: £1.74. Read into that what you will.
Look at my hopes, look at my dreams...

jasonjohn

#407 Post by jasonjohn »

Ian McKellen sure made a quintessential vampire, didn't he?

Wonder if the "horror" vibe was intended in the instrumentation, or just something the director heard as a possibility. The strings certainly are dramatic!

Anyone gone bat spotting at Mokrice Castle?

Neilatrone

#408 Post by Neilatrone »

Pinhead44 wrote: Sun 26 May 2024, 2:27 pm Track 25: Heart

Chronology: Actually, Track 9

Always loved this track, and the single mix adds some great additional elements to the song, especially the guitar in it.

Just a great pop song
Eloquently put. The single mix is a favourite track for me.

Patrick Bateman

#409 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I suppose it's fitting that Heart marks the apogee of their imperial phase as it's a remixed fourth single from an album that gets to number one, replete with companion sleeves of each band member and perhaps their most narrative video. I definitely prefer the single version to the album one as it amplifies the insistence of the, erm, beat.

I always think they should have written more simple pop songs like Heart and part of the reason they became less popular in the 90s was they either forgot how to do that or chose not to.

TallThinMan

#410 Post by TallThinMan »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Tue 28 May 2024, 9:01 am I suppose it's fitting that Heart marks the apogee of their imperial phase as it's a remixed fourth single from an album that gets to number one, replete with companion sleeves of each band member and perhaps their most narrative video. I definitely prefer the single version to the album one as it amplifies the insistence of the, erm, beat.

I always think they should have written more simple pop songs like Heart and part of the reason they became less popular in the 90s was they either forgot how to do that or chose not to.
Surprisingly, it’s the album version of ‘Heart’ that is the remix. Although released later, the single version was the original mix.
Love Pet Shop Boys? You'd probably enjoy TIERGARTEN: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

Disco.

#411 Post by Disco. »

The single version is ace, video ace, sleeves ace. Great mixes, apart from Julian Mendelssohns 12” remix, which is a bit of a mess. Only wish that the Boys had done a mix themselves of I Get….., which should have been put on the 12” Remix release.Otherwise does pop music gets better than this ! ? Not in my estimation.

Leonidas

#412 Post by Leonidas »

Excited version on Electric tour was banging!

Sadly, writing simple songs like Heart are the toughest to pull off.

Gabby

#413 Post by Gabby »

Leonidas wrote: Tue 28 May 2024, 5:59 pm Excited version on Electric tour was banging!

Sadly, writing simple songs like Heart are the toughest to pull off.
I still want a studio version of that "...Excited"

Neil/Chris make it so!

VRIDD

#414 Post by VRIDD »

TallThinMan wrote: Tue 28 May 2024, 5:22 pmSurprisingly, it’s the album version of ‘Heart’ that is the remix. Although released later, the single version was the original mix.
How can you state that? :oops:

daveid

#415 Post by daveid »

VRIDD wrote: Tue 28 May 2024, 9:31 pm
TallThinMan wrote: Tue 28 May 2024, 5:22 pmSurprisingly, it’s the album version of ‘Heart’ that is the remix. Although released later, the single version was the original mix.
How can you state that? :oops:
Because it's true. The single mix was made before the album version. It's on record.

Towa

#416 Post by Towa »

Interesting, I did not know that! But yes, it makes sense since the 7” version is mixed by producer Andy Richards rather than JM.

Leonidas

#417 Post by Leonidas »

Wow, I didn’t know that either! For me, the single version is far superior to the album version. I’ll have a re-listen. Thanks.

VRIDD

#418 Post by VRIDD »

daveid wrote: Tue 28 May 2024, 10:09 pmBecause it's true. The single mix was made before the album version. It's on record.
I completely forgot about it. Thanks.
Moreover, it makes sense!
Towa wrote: Tue 28 May 2024, 10:25 pmInteresting, I did not know that! But yes, it makes sense since the 7” version is mixed by producer Andy Richards rather than JM.

Sandy Shaw

#419 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Too Many Shadows wrote: Sun 26 May 2024, 2:59 pm
Pinhead44 wrote: Sun 26 May 2024, 2:27 pm
Just a great pop song
I agree regarding its greatness.

About 15 seconds from the end of the song the beat stops only to be resuscitated. Lovely stuff. I know it’s going to happen but I enjoy it. Every time.
Yes, the false ending a great moment for a radio DJ to name check PSB!
I'm your puppet

Neilatrone

#420 Post by Neilatrone »

Track 26: King's Cross

Chronology: Actually, Track 10

Possibly my favourite PSB album track. :clap: