New album Nonetheless

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Xakrij

Re: New album Nonetheless

#1051 Post by Xakrij »

Gabby wrote: Wed 15 May 2024, 11:44 pm 20240515_184804.jpgGrey vinyl arrived! It's the USA Warner version so am wondering if we have a similar colour issue between it and the EU copy. Anyone want to compare?

Also read today that the German Amazon clear vinyl "might" be different to the two already identified from Amazon USA and Amazon UK. I have no photo evidence to support this.
See post #1040 for pic (member: zukunft)
Maybe they can help?

Or the pics here:
viewtopic.php?t=37961
Shot in the fatal cause 'of frock-and-droll'

telys

#1052 Post by telys »

I've finally properly arrived at loving Nonetheless (at least large portions of it). It's been on repeat all day and have (along with a morning cup of coffee) made me feel good. I programme the following on my cd-player

Loneliness
Feel
New London Boy
Dancing Star
Secret of Happiness
Bullet for N
Love is The Law
(A New Bohemia)

I think feeling between 70 and 80 % of the album is majestic is enough at this stage.
----
You've got me all wrong

ChrisLove

#1053 Post by ChrisLove »

If Jesus had a sister should have been on the album in my opinion right close to Bullet for Narcissus. Such a fantastic song with lovely mood.
Your life's a mystery, mine is an open book. If I could read your mind, I think I'd take a look.

vincenzosz

#1054 Post by vincenzosz »

donbrae wrote: Mon 13 May 2024, 11:59 am
vincenzosz wrote: Mon 13 May 2024, 6:11 am
A good portion of synth sounds on this album sound very tinny and cheap, like they are a demo.
Compared to almost any synth song in my current rotation of music produced within the last six months it’s not good.
I have to assume that choosing vintage analog synths on this album was a deliberate aesthetic choice. It’s not supposed to sound like Hans Zimmer.
Hotspot had vintage sounding synths, other than Dancing Star I’m not hearing “vintage” I’m hearing cheap, tinny, demo-y, basic, flat.
My point is they didn’t find the right sounds for the album. I guess it’s because to me the Pet’s music always appealed to me because of their unique sounds. And in general that’s why I like electronic music - you can create new sounds, almost an infinite number of new sounds.

The boy's music has always had unique synths. This is the first time their electronics sound generic. i especially notice it as there are less. This album has more strings and guitars, so the few synths in each song are what give it its personality. Compared to their other music im finding it sounds too much the same. It sounds low budget.

Anyways, I’m not trying to convince anyone of anything. I’m just clarifying my opinion.

telys

#1055 Post by telys »

vincenzosz wrote: Mon 20 May 2024, 7:04 am
donbrae wrote: Mon 13 May 2024, 11:59 am
vincenzosz wrote: Mon 13 May 2024, 6:11 am
A good portion of synth sounds on this album sound very tinny and cheap, like they are a demo.
Compared to almost any synth song in my current rotation of music produced within the last six months it’s not good.
I have to assume that choosing vintage analog synths on this album was a deliberate aesthetic choice. It’s not supposed to sound like Hans Zimmer.
Hotspot had vintage sounding synths, other than Dancing Star I’m not hearing “vintage” I’m hearing cheap, tinny, demo-y, basic, flat.
My point is they didn’t find the right sounds for the album. I guess it’s because to me the Pet’s music always appealed to me because of their unique sounds. And in general that’s why I like electronic music - you can create new sounds, almost an infinite number of new sounds.

The boy's music has always had unique synths. This is the first time their electronics sound generic. i especially notice it as there are less. This album has more strings and guitars, so the few synths in each song are what give it its personality. Compared to their other music im finding it sounds too much the same. It sounds low budget.

Anyways, I’m not trying to convince anyone of anything. I’m just clarifying my opinion.
You're right in that their unique sounds are a key to their success. Their production has always held high class. But I don't agree with you on your assessment of Nonetheless.
----
You've got me all wrong

jasonjohn

#1056 Post by jasonjohn »

Marie loves PSB

#1057 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Hi! Hope you are all well. I haven't commented on this album before now as when I first heard it a couple of times I wasn't all that keen on it to be honest. It is a "grower" and it is begining to sink in now. For some reason I do not like The Secret of Happiness.

lalolalo

#1058 Post by lalolalo »

Almost a month released and I can't get enough of it. I play it at least once a day.
I'm working at a café while having breakfast right now and I saw the waitress smiling at me, apparently I was singing Schlager out loud whit my headphones on. Well, not out loud, but loud enough for her to listen.
She even asked me what it was.

By the way, I can confirm for sure now that "Love is the law" is my third favorite Pet shop boys song of all times.
(After Being boring of course, and The way it used to be)
Last edited by lalolalo on Wed 22 May 2024, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gabby

#1059 Post by Gabby »

Marie loves PSB wrote: Wed 22 May 2024, 10:13 am Hi! Hope you are all well. I haven't commented on this album before now as when I first heard it a couple of times I wasn't all that keen on it to be honest. It is a "grower" and it is begining to sink in now. For some reason I do not like The Secret of Happiness.
Definitely a grower. I'm not listening to it much so not getting as into it as I could be, but I find myself randomly humming the tunes daily. And nothing specific - the tune changes, so it's not just one song that's sticking in my brain.

tottenhammattspurs

#1060 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

My US Amazon copy has arrived and it is indeed “milky white”
Attachments
IMG_5980.jpeg
IMG_5980.jpeg (4.18 MiB) Viewed 598 times
IMG_5979.jpeg
IMG_5979.jpeg (4.3 MiB) Viewed 598 times
is is and isnt isnt

Gabby

#1061 Post by Gabby »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Wed 22 May 2024, 6:00 pm My US Amazon copy has arrived and it is indeed “milky white”
:dance:

Straight_Talker

#1062 Post by Straight_Talker »

Marie loves PSB wrote: Wed 22 May 2024, 10:13 am Hi! Hope you are all well. I haven't commented on this album before now as when I first heard it a couple of times I wasn't all that keen on it to be honest. It is a "grower" and it is begining to sink in now. For some reason I do not like The Secret of Happiness.
I totally agree. I LOVE the album. I thinks it’s superb. Every song is great and it’s so cohesive. Except for “Secret of happiness”. I don’t like it. Each to their own. I’ll skip it if listening to the album and on my Spotify version, I haven’t included it. But that’s only personal taste. The album is incredible. Absolutely love it!
More strobes and BANGING, please!

innerxsanctum

#1063 Post by innerxsanctum »

I would love to understand why so many people dislike The secret of happiness. To me, it's the best song on the album, something completely new and fresh with its bossa nova-inspired sounds, lyrics that have layers and layers of meaning, and the ambiance it builds is excellent. Maybe it's because I grew up listening to Gilberto and Jobim's music so it sounds natural and cohesive to me (and to the rest of the album).

RyaB

#1064 Post by RyaB »

I ordered the bundle that included the deluxe white vinyl, deluxe CD set, Loneliness CD, Nonetheless on cassette, and the signed print, but the sleeve for the cassette arrived bent due to pressure from the other items in the set. I'm disappointed with Warner UK's return policy for situations like mine - I have to send the cassette back to the United Kingdom, from Canada, at my own expense, in hopes they won't just send me another damaged item.
For comparison, last year Warner Music Canada unfortunately delivered a few things to me that arrived slightly damaged, like the Relentless vinyl and Green Day's Dookie anniversary vinyl box. However, when I reached out to them, they simply just sent me new copies, without even asking for the original items to be returned.
I know the only way to get this particular set was ordering from the UK, but the discrepancies between these two branches of the same corporate entity is just annoying. Rant over 😂

telys

#1065 Post by telys »

RyaB wrote: Wed 22 May 2024, 9:29 pm I ordered the bundle that included the deluxe white vinyl, deluxe CD set, Loneliness CD, Nonetheless on cassette, and the signed print, but the sleeve for the cassette arrived bent due to pressure from the other items in the set. I'm disappointed with Warner UK's return policy for situations like mine - I have to send the cassette back to the United Kingdom, from Canada, at my own expense, in hopes they won't just send me another damaged item.
For comparison, last year Warner Music Canada unfortunately delivered a few things to me that arrived slightly damaged, like the Relentless vinyl and Green Day's Dookie anniversary vinyl box. However, when I reached out to them, they simply just sent me new copies, without even asking for the original items to be returned.
I know the only way to get this particular set was ordering from the UK, but the discrepancies between these two branches of the same corporate entity is just annoying. Rant over 😂
Didn't you order the shellac 78-rpm record as well?
----
You've got me all wrong