B sides of Dancing Star thread

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

B sides of Dancing Star thread

#1 Post by Nickname »

We can use this thread for the other songs of the single and let the other one for the song itself, "Dancing Star" and the mixed songs.

If Jesus had a sister:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dZ7l7jA_Dk

Sense of time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM4Vbf7VMi4
Last edited by Nickname on Wed 03 Apr 2024, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gabby

Re: B sides of Dancing Star thread

#2 Post by Gabby »

Like them both so far.

"Jesus..." might ruffle some feathers.

Kaputnik

#3 Post by Kaputnik »

They'd have to be ridiculously over sensitive to have their feathers ruffled by it. Seems a pointless thread though when most discussions happening in the one for the single
Last edited by Kaputnik on Wed 03 Apr 2024, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drunk14

#4 Post by drunk14 »

Sense of time is OK +.

Jesus is boring as hell. I believe I will never listen to this second time.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

Gabby

#5 Post by Gabby »

Kaputnik wrote: Wed 03 Apr 2024, 12:13 pm They'd have to be ridiculously over sensitive to have their feathers ruffled by it. Seems a pointless thread though when most discussions happening in the one for the single
In the UK I'd agree. Here in North America, home of MAGA and anti abortionist religious fanatics, there are plenty who'd likely find it highly offensive. Not saying it makes sense, but that's just the state of affairs in some parts of the world today.

ChoonHound

#6 Post by ChoonHound »

Rotfl…. not one Trump voter is listening to an obscure PSB b-side from 2024. Be real.

Sense of Time is amazing. It should be on the album. It should be the single.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

Gabby

#7 Post by Gabby »

ChoonHound wrote: Thu 04 Apr 2024, 2:38 am Rotfl…. not one Trump voter is listening to an obscure PSB b-side from 2024. Be real.

Sense of Time is amazing. It should be on the album. It should be the single.
How many Trump voters have read one of the books they want to ban?

ChoonHound

#8 Post by ChoonHound »

Get a grip. Really. My goodness.

retrofuturist

#9 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Being Australian, I'm not a Trump voter, but I do like him. I'm also Christian. And, for what it's worth, I think "If Jesus Had A Sister" is great... much better than the lead track.

:clap:

It reminded me of Matthew 12:46-50...

While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”

He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

If Jesus did have a sister, she probably would indeed try to bend her to her own inferior perspective, much like Mary did, which adds a great deal of plausibility to Neil's hypothetical scenario.

As for "Sense Of Time", it's quite good too. A little PSB-by-numbers perhaps, but very enjoyable nonetheless. 8)

Retro. :)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

Debussy

#10 Post by Debussy »

Sense of time. Still b side material for me. The production is too 90s.
I can't get past the notion of a b side as being not good enough for the album, or not fitting the theme, or not quite as good as the single. I dunno, it feels less confident.

If Jesus had a sister. This I love. It's a bit more experimental in it's sound, and theme. It's straight into my PSB favourites playlist.

I'm less excited for the album after Dancing Star 😢

petshopgrrl

#11 Post by petshopgrrl »

I'm enjoying Sense of Time the most because I like that kind of frenetic 90's dance track, although it's giving off strangely New Order vibes. I can imagine Bernard Sumner singing it.

Jesus is taking its time sinking in. It's a bit slow for me at the moment but might be one of those ones I come back to in a few weeks' time and weep buckets over after one too many glasses of wine.

jules

#12 Post by jules »

Jesus is awesome and makes me feel sad. It's in the vein of the forgotten child.

NotInvisible

#13 Post by NotInvisible »

retrofuturist wrote: Thu 04 Apr 2024, 6:04 amI'm not a Trump voter, but I do like him.
Why? Is it the racism, the rapes, the felony indictments, the cons, the lies or the authoritarianism?

ChoonHound

#14 Post by ChoonHound »

You can’t possibly like PSB on a deep level and support MAGA closed-mindedness. Unless maybe you’re a self-hating deeply closeted queer? That’s a tale as old as time.

I will give the poster some slack tho being Australian. I imagine it’s possible to be shielded from much of the iodiocracy of MAGA on the other side of the planet.

glennjridge

#15 Post by glennjridge »

I am thinking we have gotten to the point where they have released as B-sides most of the missing in action tracks talked about in the various literallys.

one by one over the course of the last few years they have seemingly emptied the vaults, and now to hear possibly "Clean air hybrid bus" thats almost everything I think save for "China".