Piano Room Month - 2024

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
TwizzleUK

Re: Piano Room Month - 2024

#316 Post by TwizzleUK »

Has there ever been a PSB studio album where every track features an orchestra before? Fundamental maybe?

leesmapman

#317 Post by leesmapman »

TwizzleUK wrote:Has there ever been a PSB studio album where every track features an orchestra before? Fundamental maybe?
Battleship Potemkin and Most Incredible Thing

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

psbfannyc

#318 Post by psbfannyc »

leesmapman wrote: Wed 28 Feb 2024, 6:02 pm
TwizzleUK wrote:Has there ever been a PSB studio album where every track features an orchestra before? Fundamental maybe?

All true. And maybe one day "A Man from the Future".

Dog

#319 Post by Dog »

Close… Just I’m with Stupid and Twentieth Century without.
Woof.

agent doris

#320 Post by agent doris »

They were released by Tennant / Lowe, not Pet Shop Boys 😆😉

leesmapman

#321 Post by leesmapman »

Potato potato

Xakrij

#322 Post by Xakrij »

See YouTube for video link
Shot in the fatal cause 'of frock-and-droll'

y3potential

#323 Post by y3potential »

leesmapman wrote: Wed 28 Feb 2024, 10:36 pm Potato potato
:up:
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

telys

#324 Post by telys »

agent doris wrote: Wed 28 Feb 2024, 9:53 pm

They were released by Tennant / Lowe, not Pet Shop Boys 😆😉
That's not a valid excuse.
----
You've got me all wrong

Remark

#325 Post by Remark »

Just watched the full Radio 2 performance on YouTube, after of course hearing it "live" on the actual show the previous week.

The good:
- Production value is excellent
- Orchestra is amazing — LOVE that our pop icons can command an orchestra in such a compelling way in their songs!
- Chris and Neil look great; Chris' sense of humour never ceases to be funny! :lol:
- Extended interview moments were good

The bad:
- The interviewer/host was not good (e.g. Paradise Garage in Chicago, Royal Festival Hall :roll: )
- The "voice note" questions were awful
- Awkward silence at the end of each song with no applause
- NEIL'S VOICE. I'm sorry but no matter how much praise this performance gets on the socials etc. it is TERRIBLY out of tune! Which is so annoying given that we all know Neil can land all those notes and chords in Dreamworld shows or other live performance moments. I thought this when I heard it on the radio but now seeing it filmed it's even more evident. And that Bowie cover :shock: It's all a bit...embarrassing? I am still shocked reading posts on PSB's Facebook and IG accounts that keep saying how "amazing" the performance is...? :shock: :? Incorrect. I know Neil sounds nasally due to a cold or whatever but it is so bad that I can't even share this link with friends and non-fans because it's so bad :cry:

Gabby

#326 Post by Gabby »

Remark wrote: Thu 29 Feb 2024, 10:17 pm Just watched the full Radio 2 performance on YouTube, after of course hearing it "live" on the actual show the previous week.

The good:
- Production value is excellent
- Orchestra is amazing — LOVE that our pop icons can command an orchestra in such a compelling way in their songs!
- Chris and Neil look great; Chris' sense of humour never ceases to be funny! :lol:
- Extended interview moments were good

The bad:
- The interviewer/host was not good (e.g. Paradise Garage in Chicago, Royal Festival Hall :roll: )
- The "voice note" questions were awful
- Awkward silence at the end of each song with no applause
- NEIL'S VOICE. I'm sorry but no matter how much praise this performance gets on the socials etc. it is TERRIBLY out of tune! Which is so annoying given that we all know Neil can land all those notes and chords in Dreamworld shows or other live performance moments. I thought this when I heard it on the radio but now seeing it filmed it's even more evident. And that Bowie cover :shock: It's all a bit...embarrassing? I am still shocked reading posts on PSB's Facebook and IG accounts that keep saying how "amazing" the performance is...? :shock: :? Incorrect. I know Neil sounds nasally due to a cold or whatever but it is so bad that I can't even share this link with friends and non-fans because it's so bad :cry:
I echo your sentiment. I do think the long pauses and no applause are intentional. My suspicion is there is a plan these will be released in some form down the road so they're trying to keep the audio clean.

michael888

#327 Post by michael888 »

I think the performances in the Piano Room always have clean intros and outros.
A small voice of calm and reason.

telys

#328 Post by telys »

The role of a proper interviewer is actually to ask quite dumb question. Or rather to ask different kinds of questions in order to get as much information as possible or good answers and good quotes. People often make a mistake taking the journalist as a fool. I'm not sure in this instance if the questioner had journalistic ambitions.. as soon as they start talking about their own PSB experience in the 80's or so, I turn a deaf ear to it. If I were PSB I'd quote Monty Burns "Are there any real questions?"
----
You've got me all wrong

rashomon

#329 Post by rashomon »

It's a short skit in between songs - not much chance to get in depth

We should get more insights from Alan Yentob via the Imagine programme ...
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Gabby

#330 Post by Gabby »

rashomon wrote: Fri 01 Mar 2024, 11:26 am It's a short skit in between songs - not much chance to get in depth

We should get more insights from Alan Yentob via the Imagine programme ...
To be honest I'm kind of tired of retreading the same beats on how they met, what they did, so on and so forth.

It's actually fun to ask some different, maybe slightly off the wall, questions which disarm both the interviewee and the viewer/listener, and sometimes give a bit more insight than you might realise.

I actually use some very non-standard questions when I interview people for jobs and it starts a better conversation with them, creates a different atmosphere, and disarms them enough to be a bit more truthful and forthcoming rather than spewing out rehearsed answers. The people I have subsequently hired have told me that my interviews were very good for that exact reason.