2018 Remasters

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Harry

Re: 2018 Remasters

#16 Post by Harry »

negative_0ne wrote: Mon 03 Oct 2022, 2:41 pm
Harry wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022, 10:03 am I find the 2018 remasters do sound better than the 2001 editions. There are slight variations on "Violence", "Love etc." and "Building a wall", the first two might pass as improvements and the third is barely noticeable.

The packaging is also improved. 17 years on, my 2001 Catalogue editions were very tatty, and they all had the issue with the label on the slipcase that tore the artwork. That was solved with the 2018 reissues.

Farrow also tidied up the track listings - if you compare the two editions of Please, for example, the 2018 edition is neater. I am possibly the only person in the world who noticed this...
I'm not sure what you do with your sets.

mine are in mint condition from the day that I bought them.

I only opened them once to rip to them to digital, and they have stayed
like the originals. Still have the shrink wrap on them.

nothing was wrong with the original packages.

later
I'm talking about the 2001 releases. There was an issue with the hype stickers that were directly and untidily applied to the slipcases, which tore the artwork when removed. Neil has expressed his frustration with this in Annually.

The 2017/2018 releases were shrink wrapped with no hype sticker on the slipcases, and had tidied-up tracklistings on Please-Bilingual.

As for what I did with my 2001 sets, while I admire your careful curation of your sets, I was a 16 year-old fan with a discman, I didn't have the facility or the desire to rip them, I probably didn't even know what that was. I used the sets heavily. I loved the booklets and pored over them constantly. They came with me to boarding school, university, holidays abroad and survived five house moves. This is why the re-releases were a benefit to me - the 2001 sets had become tatty after 17 years of use, and I was pleased to have new pristine sets. I'm not suggesting this is a fault in the packaging.
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

telys

#17 Post by telys »

Harry wrote: Tue 04 Oct 2022, 3:03 pm
Harry wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022, 10:03 am I find the 2018 remasters do sound better than the 2001 editions. There are slight variations on "Violence", "Love etc." and "Building a wall", the first two might pass as improvements and the third is barely noticeable.

The packaging is also improved. 17 years on, my 2001 Catalogue editions were very tatty, and they all had the issue with the label on the slipcase that tore the artwork. That was solved with the 2018 reissues.

Farrow also tidied up the track listings - if you compare the two editions of Please, for example, the 2018 edition is neater. I am possibly the only person in the world who noticed this...

later
I'm talking about the 2001 releases. There was an issue with the hype stickers that were directly and untidily applied to the slipcases, which tore the artwork when removed. Neil has expressed his frustration with this in Annually.

The 2017/2018 releases were shrink wrapped with no hype sticker on the slipcases, and had tidied-up tracklistings on Please-Bilingual.

As for what I did with my 2001 sets, while I admire your careful curation of your sets, I was a 16 year-old fan with a discman, I didn't have the facility or the desire to rip them, I probably didn't even know what that was. I used the sets heavily. I loved the booklets and pored over them constantly. They came with me to boarding school, university, holidays abroad and survived five house moves. This is why the re-releases were a benefit to me - the 2001 sets had become tatty after 17 years of use, and I was pleased to have new pristine sets. I'm not suggesting this is a fault in the packaging.
I know the feeling. My copy of Alternative, for example, has been around the world with me and is actually really worn and torn. I should get another copy. Life in the fast lane!
----
You've got me all wrong

negative_0ne

#18 Post by negative_0ne »

Harry wrote: Tue 04 Oct 2022, 3:03 pm

later

hi,

yeah, i was talking about the 2001 original remasters also.

again, no issues, no problems with the packaging.

i will post a picture of the sets when i can.

now its great that you used the sets, but you could have easily transferred to a blank
case or something else to reduce wear and tear. as far as the booklets go, a digital scan or pdf
would have also preserved those.

anyways, you have the new one ones now. so it doesn't really matter.

later

negative_0ne

#19 Post by negative_0ne »

here's my original remasters.

i think this is the 2nd or 3rd time i took them out, including the booklets.

i have scanned the booklets, and converted them to PDF with OCR on the text.

i only got the sampler a few years ago though..

the shrinkwrap and price stickers are all as they originally were when i bought them.
only played the cds 1 or 2 times.

later

G_Goalden

#20 Post by G_Goalden »

negative_0ne wrote: Tue 11 Oct 2022, 8:36 am here's my original remasters.

i think this is the 2nd or 3rd time i took them out, including the booklets.

i have scanned the booklets, and converted them to PDF with OCR on the text.

i only got the sampler a few years ago though..

the shrinkwrap and price stickers are all as they originally were when i bought them.
only played the cds 1 or 2 times.

later
What is the sampler - was this a promo?
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough & Sheffield 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017 | Manchester 2022 | Leeds 2023

negative_0ne

#21 Post by negative_0ne »

G_Goalden wrote: Tue 11 Oct 2022, 7:52 pm What is the sampler - was this a promo?
https://www.discogs.com/release/145193- ... ys-Sampler

Pet Shop Boys – Sampler
Pet Shop Boys - Sampler album cover
More images

Label: Parlophone – PSB 001
Series: Further Listening
Format:
CD, Promo, Remastered, Sampler
Released: 2001
Genre: Electronic, Pop
Style: Synth-pop, Disco

Code: Select all

From Please	
1		Opportunities (Let's Make Lots Of Money ) (Full Length Original Seven-Inch)
4:36
2		Why Don't We Live Together (Original New York Mix)
5:14
From Actually	
3		King's Cross
5:11
4		I Want To Wake Up (Breakdown Mix)
5:59
From Introspective	
5		Domino Dancing
7:42
6		So Sorry, I Said (Demo For Liza)
3:26
From Behaviour	
7		My October Symphony
5:20
8		Being Boring (Extended Mix)
10:40
From Very	
9		The Theatre
5:13
10		Go West (1992 Twelve-Inch Mix)
9:12
From Bilingual	
11		The Survivors
4:32
12		Discoteca (Single Version)
5:15
-	
13		Always On My Mind (Dub Mix)
2:04
Total Time:		1:14:2
later

jasonjohn

#22 Post by jasonjohn »

they look so good when out together like that

PSB have such a fantastic catalogue to play with. They'll release this all again at some point no doubt