US TOUR

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
psbnyc

Re: US TOUR

#226 Post by psbnyc »

I was there as well, last night! PSB did an incredible show, and Neil sounded perfect! I also found that Losing my mind/Always on my mind were highlights, as well as Left to my own devices. I agree that they could have opened up to the band a bit sooner. It just felt way too short but I was very happy to finally see PSB live again. And even though I hate these huge venues, it was exciting to see them play in front of such a big audience!

I found New Order boring, honestly. I'm also a big fan but they simply lacked a more dynamic lead singer. It was also very hard too hear Bernard, and I found that overall the sound was not nearly as good as with PSB. I agree that True faith underwhelmed me and I had really been looking forward to it. I left just after Blue Monday and could frankly have missed the show. Maybe it also felt so flat because PSB had been so perfect!?

I can't go to MSG because I'm leaving for Europe this evening, but I hope you all have a great time!

DopeFiend

#227 Post by DopeFiend »

Meebabi wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022, 4:46 am
Pod wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022, 9:44 am Thanks y3! Any photos of the merch stall anywhere?

Is there anyone kind enough to get one for me? Please PM if so. It goes without saying I’d pay all costs.
It may be difficult to see in the merch photos DopeFiend posted- there is also a small silver unity tour keychain.
Closer pic of the keychain:

More merch stall pics:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Notice the PSB USA hoodie.

To me it's curious they're not selling the full range on the website.
The mug I can understand since it must be fragile to post in the mail.

Meebabi
Canada

#228 Post by Meebabi »

A note to any fans thinking of picking up any merch at the Vancouver show- in Canada the prices are higher.😡

And thank you, DopeFiend for the photos! 🙂

MikeyC

#229 Post by MikeyC »

DopeFiend wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022, 2:05 am
Meebabi wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022, 4:46 am
Pod wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022, 9:44 am Thanks y3! Any photos of the merch stall anywhere?

Is there anyone kind enough to get one for me? Please PM if so. It goes without saying I’d pay all costs.
It may be difficult to see in the merch photos DopeFiend posted- there is also a small silver unity tour keychain.
Closer pic of the keychain:

More merch stall pics:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Notice the PSB USA hoodie.

To me it's curious they're not selling the full range on the website.
The mug I can understand since it must be fragile to post in the mail.
That’s my photo of my key ring but it’s fine that you’re using it! 😎
Might get the mug on Wednesday night!

Pod
Great Britain

#230 Post by Pod »

Any photos of the poster or mug?
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

minimal

#231 Post by minimal »

So quintessentially PSB merchandise doesn’t include any hints of design at all these days and looks cheap as f***. Wow, for a band that’s been so detailed with their artworks etc. for at least 3/4 of their career that’s just disappointing. I’d be ashamed to sell that ugly garbage.

m+

tottenhammattspurs

#232 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

That “pet shop boys since 1984” and the west end girls t shirts are both absolutely awful! I’ve seen cheap knock offs outside venues for a fiver better than those.
is is and isnt isnt

tottenhammattspurs

#233 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

They missed a trick not doing :- Pet shop boys Actually 1987 in the New Order Substance style and have a “New Order/Technique” bar on the introspective artwork.
is is and isnt isnt

leesmapman

#234 Post by leesmapman »

We had this topic:
viewtopic.php?t=35849

Dog

#235 Post by Dog »

I suspect the issue is that PSB and NO have jointly gone with Scott King for this project, rather than using their traditional Farrow or Saville.
Woof.

NotInvisible

#236 Post by NotInvisible »

Dog wrote: Wed 28 Sep 2022, 9:07 am I suspect the issue is that PSB and NO have jointly gone with Scott King for this project, rather than using their traditional Farrow or Saville.
I mean to be fair Pet Shop Boys have a long history of terribly designed tour shirts. For such a design conscious group, they've probably offered four or five well-designed shirts in their entire career.

MikeyC

#237 Post by MikeyC »

Had another fabulous night, this time at MSG! New Order was MUCH better tonight and much more energetic, not surprising since they changed up the set list and did more of their upbeat, synth-heavy material!!

PSB were again amazing and exuded joy and enthusiasm at finally playing The Garden!! 😎

rashomon

US TOUR

#238 Post by rashomon »

Yup 100% agree MikeyC

It was a smashing evening and one I’ll not forget!

Both bands absolutely delivered to the brief. We had our synth pop cake … and ate it!

It’s way too early for me to be up but jet lag has kicked in so may as well add my thoughts now while fresh …

Got there for around 7.15 pm and Paul Oakenfold was playing some bangers that really got the crowd warmed up nicely.

Barneys voice was a bit all over the place on the opening song Regret but he soon got into it.

Was surprised at how much guitar work he does now and he was moving around a lot more than when I saw them play last.

Loved the whole New Order set but Bizarre love triangle and Temptation were standouts for me. Barney said he had no idea what the lyrics for Subculture were about which got a big chuckle.

Really enjoyed the interplay of the band and Gillan is as cool as Chris behind a keyboard - so underrated it’s criminal! Though no doubt recycled from their recent tour I really enjoyed their visual projections as they were new to me.

As for the PSB - just a flawless set of the hits - same set list as other nights so no surprises here.

Neil was clearly thrilled to be playing MSG and name dropped ‘New York City’ a few times to the delight of the crowd … and we got at least one ‘aaah YEAH!’

In regards to the other thread topic- Neil is definitely singing live - no doubt at all in my mind on this point.

Still think that I don’t know what you want should be switched out for What have I done to deserve this in this set list.

Noticed a slight change in presentation of Love comes quickly - Neil did his slow walk in FRONT of the screen. At the O2 he was behind it as far as I recall.

The venue itself was brilliant - sound quality was loud and clear. Some feedback trouble here or there but only for a few seconds. I was impressed with how quickly we got in past security and to our seats … slick operation!

A brief word on the crowd - met some really nice fans alongside me in section 108 from Dallas and had some fun conversations, nods and smiles just passing by other people. My first concert experience abroad and the crowd here felt a bit less reserved than in the UK.

Generally from what I could see everyone in The Garden was having a top time. It was literally bouncing from around halfway through New Order’s set and nobody sat down at all during the entirety of the PSB set. High energy fun!

One special shout to Paul Oakenfold’s second set. He played some great crowd pleasing remixes - Bowie, Human League, Killers and Depeche but what was truly fantastic was hearing Jump Around by House of Pain just before the boys started - don’t think I’ll hear that again in a PSB concert but it had me grinning and jumping all the way through!

Righto - best try get some sleep now! I’m
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

MikeyC

#239 Post by MikeyC »

rashomon wrote: Thu 29 Sep 2022, 9:52 am Yup 100% agree MikeyC

It was a smashing evening and one I’ll not forget!

Both bands absolutely delivered to the brief. We had our synth pop cake … and ate it! Image

It’s way too early for me to be up but jet lag has kicked in so may as well add my thoughts now while fresh …

Got there for around 7.15 pm and Paul Oakenfold was playing some bangers that really got the crowd warmed up nicely.

Barneys voice was a bit all over the place on the opening song Regret but he soon got into it.

Was surprised at how much guitar work he does now and he was moving around a lot more than when I saw them play last.

Loved the whole New Order set but Bizarre love triangle and Temptation were standouts for me. Barney said he had no idea what the lyrics for Subculture were about which got a big chuckle.

Really enjoyed the interplay of the band and Gillan is as cool as Chris behind a keyboard - so underrated it’s criminal! Though no doubt recycled from their recent tour I really enjoyed their visual projections as they were new to me.

As for the PSB - just a flawless set of the hits - same set list as other nights so no surprises here.

Neil was clearly thrilled to be playing MSG and name dropped ‘New York City’ a few times to the delight of the crowd … and we got at least one ‘aaah YEAH!’

In regards to the other thread topic- Neil is definitely singing live - no doubt at all in my mind on this point.

Still think that I don’t know what you want should be switched out for What have I done to deserve this in this set list.

Noticed a slight change in presentation of Love comes quickly - Neil did his slow walk in FRONT of the screen. At the O2 he was behind it as far as I recall.

The venue itself was brilliant - sound quality was loud and clear. Some feedback trouble here or there but only for a few seconds. I was impressed with how quickly we got in past security and to our seats … slick operation!

A brief word on the crowd - met some really nice fans alongside me in section 108 from Dallas and had some fun conversations, nods and smiles just passing by other people. My first concert experience abroad and the crowd here felt a bit less reserved than in the UK.

Generally from what I could see everyone in The Garden was having a top time. It was literally bouncing from around halfway through New Order’s set and nobody sat down at all during the entirety of the PSB set. High energy fun!

One special shout to Paul Oakenfold’s second set. He played some great crowd pleasing remixes - Bowie, Human League, Killers and Depeche but what was truly fantastic was hearing Jump Around by House of Pain just before the boys started - don’t think I’ll hear that again in a PSB concert but it had me grinning and jumping all the way through! Image

Righto - best try get some sleep now! I’m
“I’m… I’m…”?? You leave us hanging rashomon! 😎

A great read, thanks for your wonderful review! And you were in section 108?? I was in 105!!

I wanted to add that I’ve seen every PSB tour in NYC since the Nightlife Tour and it felt different - and thrilling - experiencing them at The Garden. Now I know this is probably due to New Order’s participation but it was also the first time the audience was greatly expanded beyond the usual niche audience of primarily gay guys (I can say this, I’m a gay guy, and you probably know their primary audience in the U.S. is gay guys). It was a huge party of electronic pop lovers!!

TwizzleUK

#240 Post by TwizzleUK »

rashomon wrote: Thu 29 Sep 2022, 9:52 am Noticed a slight change in presentation of Love comes quickly - Neil did his slow walk in FRONT of the screen. At the O2 he was behind it as far as I recall.
I was at O2, and the walk was in front of the screen - jut as it was at Glastonbury.