Unity Tour Spoilers & Reviews

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
NotInvisible

Re: Unity Tour Spoilers & Reviews

#151 Post by NotInvisible »

OakeyDokey wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022, 12:44 pmStripped-down gigs in their dotage without any bells and whistles, semi-acoustic with storytelling between songs is the tour I wanna see.
Yeah, the Release tour was great and I'd love to see another one like it. Something like Kylie's Anti-Tour, with deep cuts etc. But let's be honest, it probably wouldn't sell many tickets.
What are "grips" by the way, stage-movers or stage props?
Filmspeak for stagehands.

NotInvisible

#152 Post by NotInvisible »

DopeFiend wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022, 2:29 amWe're talking hypotheticals here and you're fixated on the number of dates as if that's not also something that could be changed.
The reality is there are 13 dates. If wishes were horses...
I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect some variation from the previous tour given not only the above facts but since it's titled differently, had it's own rehearsals and had a 2 month gap from Dreamworld.
It was obviously conceived as the US leg of the Dreamworld tour, which is how it's cost effective on just 13 dates.This is like asking that the UK MCMLXXXIX shows be much different to the Asia MCMLXXXIX shows. The name change was necessary because of the double bill; New Order isn't going to adopt the name of the PSB tour and vice versa.
I'd like PSB to impress us with something surprising, whether it's live or a studio release.
I think it's overdue, that's why we're having this reaction.
A greatest hits tour is a greatest hits tour - you're not going to get many surprises there. But even within that limitation, we've got at least one new mix and a deep cut b-side. I find it interesting that the people clamoring for a different setlist have refrained from sharing what their proposed alternate setlist would look like, presumably because they know it would collapse in the face of a crossover audience who's showing up to hear the hits. The hits are the product. They're what make these tours possible in the first place. I'd love to hear A New Life live. This isn't the audience for it.

Dog

#153 Post by Dog »

Interesting to read the reaction from New Order fans.

Woof.

Meebabi
Canada

#154 Post by Meebabi »

Dog wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022, 6:09 am Interesting to read the reaction from New Order fans.
Honestly, seeing those comments doesn’t surprise me.

We ran into a huge NO fan at our hotel the day after the concert & he said he thought NO was great, but was blown away by PSB.
Last edited by Meebabi on Thu 22 Sep 2022, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meebabi
Canada

#155 Post by Meebabi »

Luke Colorado wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022, 2:22 am It’s remarkable how few posts there have been from people who were at these shows (so far). Hopefully that will change when they hit NY and California.
Are you referring to social media posts, or posts in this forum?

D.J.

#156 Post by D.J. »

Wow! I’m so happy to see these incredible comments full of appreciation by the NO fans. I mean I am a big NO fan, but PSB is my favorite musical act ever.

Flaffer

#157 Post by Flaffer »

NotInvisible wrote: Wed 21 Sep 2022, 8:09 am
The live musicians from the Super tour isn't feasible. Three of their old tours lost money on far more than 13 dates, so obviously none of that is feasible.
The live musicians from Super are on the tour, albeit with one personnel swap. I never got how Somewhere lost money, as it was sold out iirc. the stage set wasn’t that elaborate, simple costumes and only two others on stage and no touring/travel costs.
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

rashomon

#158 Post by rashomon »

Flaffer wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022, 7:46 am
The live musicians from Super are on the tour, albeit with one personnel swap. I never got how Somewhere lost money, as it was sold out iirc. the stage set wasn’t that elaborate, simple costumes and only two others on stage and no touring/travel costs.
I guess The Savoy doesn't come cheap - even with the extended stay discount applied :D
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Disco.

#159 Post by Disco. »

Savoy must be expensive, Neil said at the time that they lost £200.000 playing the Savoy shows.

Harry

#160 Post by Harry »

I think we have to remember that this forum and its members are a very tiny minority of the audience for the Unity Tour. Type "Pet Shop Boys" into Instagram or Twitter and you'll see reams of very positive comments about how good the Boys are live, how amazing the set is, how good they look and sound.

The videos people are posting look fabulous (much better than those of New Order), the Dreamworld show delivers exactly what most attendees will want to see. I haven't seen any disappointed comments. Yes, the setlist is a greatest hits one, yes, it is Dreamworld cut down, but we need to remember just how good it is when you're actually there experiencing it.

The very large majority of people who see this tour won't have been watching Dreamworld shows on YouTube beforehand, they'll be seeing the Pets for the first time in a long time and seeing a show that is streets ahead of what most bands dating back to the 80s would put on.

This is not me blindly worshipping every choice Neil and Chris make, I am simply pointing out that the only negative comments I have seen ANYWHERE have been on this forum, and I have been following how Unity is received with interest (like a football fan when their favourite team is away). I'm pleased to see them showing North America how vibrant they are in 2022.
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

leesmapman

#161 Post by leesmapman »

Nice to see such positive reviews from people who aren't really fans of the band, but regular music aficionados.
My collegue who is a huge New Order fan but doesn't like PSB at all was interested in this tour too, after she got an email from New Order about this US tour. She wants the Unity tour to come to the Netherlands now :-)

Dog

#162 Post by Dog »

Woof.

rashomon

#163 Post by rashomon »

Well said Harry - I think you've hit the nail on the head here. This tour is certainly not aimed at us hardcore fans and is going down very well it would seem with those attending.

I'm based in the UK and making the trip out for the NYC show next Wednesday - also happens to be a significant anniversary year for me and the Mrs so this trip tied in nicely. She's always said "there are four of us in this marriage" - so its quite appropriate!

I have seen Dreamworld at the O2 already this year (as well as the warm up for Glastonbury at the Electric Ballroom) but I'm still very much looking forward to seeing this truncated show in the US as it really is a fantastic spectacle and the boys are at their absolute best - the O2 gig was incredible. I'm equally excited to see New Order put on a greatest hits set - last time I saw them was in 2012 at Brixton Academy so I'm well overdue here. Hoping that 1963 and Your Silent Face get played at the MSG show.

Don't get me wrong, when this tour was first announced and up until VERY recently I was still hoping for something a bit left field thrown in for fan service - even one Electronic song would have had been amazing as Luke and others have also expressed ... but it's clear we are not going to get this which is a damn shame and those stars REALLY REALLY should have aligned 😭

On a personal note, I've been lucky to have seen the boys perform on pretty much all their previous tours so I've seen some of those less obvious songs and different arrangements played out so won't grumble about this set being the same. Even when considering the same arrangements are being used here though ... it's not like they are crap right? The Being Boring intro on this tour gives me goosebumps still just thinking about it.

Also, there may be future opportunities for more low key shows from the boys with more risks being taken ... Dreamworld/Unity seems to me like it is their last hurrah in terms of big expensive visual shows - 'Pet Shop Boys for the masses' eh?

Finally - It's gonna be fun seeing both New Order and Pet Shop Boys fans rubbing shoulders with each other - that in itself is kinda weird and exciting for me.

Counting down the days! 😍
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Native

#164 Post by Native »

Harry wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022, 4:33 pm I think we have to remember that this forum and its members are a very tiny minority of the audience for the Unity Tour. Type "Pet Shop Boys" into Instagram or Twitter and you'll see reams of very positive comments about how good the Boys are live, how amazing the set is, how good they look and sound.
rashomon wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022, 7:04 pm Well said Harry - I think you've hit the nail on the head here. This tour is certainly not aimed at us hardcore fans and is going down very well it would seem with those attending.
Good points made here - I also think it is worth noting that this forum is a very tiny majority of 'hardcore' fans across the world, let alone regular PSB fans.

Rorie

#165 Post by Rorie »

PSB are great at touring. Because they've spent the money to put on great shows and are pros at touring. Their shows do not disappoint.

I would say that compared to other tours they have done, maybe we are a bit spoiled. Which is why we complain. We are used to 22+ songs, more b-sides being played. Something for even the die hard fans thrown in. But this is a Greatest Hits tour. Most songs are pretty close to the originals. I really love the new parts, like the intro to Don't Know What You Want, and the newer version of Love Comes Quickly. But a lot of the other tours had more unique intros, unique to the tour versions. So when you get a tour that may be a little less of that, then we complain.

Again, we are all very fortunate that they have performed for most of our lives, the extensive touring around the world, the number of songs they have written, and that they are focused and determined to carry on entertaining us.