Disappointed, once more...

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
TallThinMan

Re: Disappointed, once more...

#46 Post by TallThinMan »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Wed 20 Jul 2022, 7:22 pm It still seems odd that Chris was on neither - they're arguably far superior to much of their 90s output.
Johnny Marr revealed in 2021 that the bassline for Getting Away With It was done by Chris.

OakeyDokey

#47 Post by OakeyDokey »

Oh did he now? Someone's been getting away with it for 30 years...

minimal

#48 Post by minimal »

*GLITCH alert*

It is only this morning when I was listening to Disappointed with my headphones on that I noticed some sort of glitch in the intro right between 0:12 and 0:13. I can't identify what exactly it is. Maybe someone was just having a bad breath or something but when listening carefully with your headphones on you can hear a significant 'scratch'.

Have you noticed?

m+

telys

#49 Post by telys »

TallThinMan wrote: Wed 20 Jul 2022, 7:49 pm
Patrick Bateman wrote: Wed 20 Jul 2022, 7:22 pm It still seems odd that Chris was on neither - they're arguably far superior to much of their 90s output.
Johnny Marr revealed in 2021 that the bassline for Getting Away With It was done by Chris.
This is from https://music.apple.com/us/album/electr ... /693892654 where Johnny comments every track on the Electronic album. Needles to say, Chris was very much involved in GAWI according to Marr. But then why isn't he credited?!
The Patience of a Saint”
“We’d written ‘Getting Away With It’ the day before with Neil [Tennant] and Chris [Lowe]—I had us set up in a bedroom in my house. And then we all went out to The Haçienda, which was a real fun night. The next day, we wrote ‘The Patience of a Saint.’ It has a very comedown-y vibe about it—which makes sense. Neil and Chris were a really, really big part. Their involvement really helped build the foundation of Electronic and not only helped make it successful, but gave us more of a focus.”

“Getting Away With It”
“I always try to come prepared with some ideas when I’m collaborating with people. That was something I learned to do from being a boy, joining different bands. So in the afternoon [before Tennant and Lowe arrived], I came up with a chorus, the chord change, the bassline, and the topline. Then Neil and Chris arrived. Bernard came up with the piano chords for the verse. Then Neil kind of arranged it. And Chris said, ‘Well, the bassline should do this.’ And before we knew it, we had this single. It really helped define what Electronic was going to be about. It helped when it was a real huge hit.”
----
You've got me all wrong

Dog

#50 Post by Dog »

telys wrote:
TallThinMan wrote: Wed 20 Jul 2022, 7:49 pm
This is from https://music.apple.com/us/album/electr ... /693892654 where Johnny comments every track on the Electronic album. Needles to say, Chris was very much involved in GAWI according to Marr. But then why isn't he credited?!
The Patience of a Saint”
“We’d written ‘Getting Away With It’ the day before with Neil [Tennant] and Chris [Lowe]—I had us set up in a bedroom in my house. And then we all went out to The Haçienda, which was a real fun night. The next day, we wrote ‘The Patience of a Saint.’ It has a very comedown-y vibe about it—which makes sense. Neil and Chris were a really, really big part. Their involvement really helped build the foundation of Electronic and not only helped make it successful, but gave us more of a focus.”

“Getting Away With It”
“I always try to come prepared with some ideas when I’m collaborating with people. That was something I learned to do from being a boy, joining different bands. So in the afternoon [before Tennant and Lowe arrived], I came up with a chorus, the chord change, the bassline, and the topline. Then Neil and Chris arrived. Bernard came up with the piano chords for the verse. Then Neil kind of arranged it. And Chris said, ‘Well, the bassline should do this.’ And before we knew it, we had this single. It really helped define what Electronic was going to be about. It helped when it was a real huge hit.”
Because, interestingly, writing a bassline doesn’t earn you a writing credit for a song.
Woof.

telys

#51 Post by telys »

I know that (bassline doesn't give you writing credit), but why isn't he listed as a performer?
----
You've got me all wrong

Dog

#52 Post by Dog »

telys wrote:I know that (bassline doesn't give you writing credit), but why isn't he listed as a performer?
I kind of know what you mean but from the credits below we can see he didn’t feature in the recording.

Woof.

telys

#53 Post by telys »

Dog wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022, 6:04 pm
telys wrote:I know that (bassline doesn't give you writing credit), but why isn't he listed as a performer?
I kind of know what you mean but from the credits below we can see he didn’t feature in the recording.

It's an enigma. Couldn't he have recieved some kind of producer's credit?
----
You've got me all wrong

domino

#54 Post by domino »

minimal wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022, 9:02 am *GLITCH alert*

It is only this morning when I was listening to Disappointed with my headphones on that I noticed some sort of glitch in the intro right between 0:12 and 0:13. I can't identify what exactly it is. Maybe someone was just having a bad breath or something but when listening carefully with your headphones on you can hear a significant 'scratch'.

Have you noticed?

m+
Really subtle, good ears! :)
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

One of the crowd

#55 Post by One of the crowd »

There's probably loads they got involved in along their journey that theyve never been credited for. Maybe they didnt want to be.

An example is Neil Tennant removed the sax solo on the album version of Dusty's Arrested By You and replaced it with a seuence on an Emulator.
Fishing