Shopping

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Undertaker

Shopping

#1 Post by Undertaker »

Fact of the day...

Shopping should have been a single. Simon Mayo thinks so and I agree.

Another one of them tomorrow.

TallThinMan

Re: Shopping

#2 Post by TallThinMan »

Which other Actually single would have been dropped in favour of Shopping though?
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

Undertaker

#3 Post by Undertaker »

Probably none but couldn't there have been another shoe-horned in?

leesmapman

#4 Post by leesmapman »

Shopping is a great album track, but as a single? I doubt it.

tottenhammattspurs

#5 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Heart. Could have easily dropped Heart.
is is and isnt isnt

TallThinMan

#6 Post by TallThinMan »

Undertaker wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022, 11:04 pm Probably none but couldn't there have been another shoe-horned in?
Well of course, but their album campaigns usually have four singles and that’s before you even count Always On My Mind.
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

dio2005

#7 Post by dio2005 »

‘I want to wake up’ would have been a great single!

Disco.

#8 Post by Disco. »

Heart was a fantastic single, and was ofcourse scheduled to the first singe of Actually. They should have released more singles from Actually, another 2 singles would have been great.

leesmapman

#9 Post by leesmapman »

dio2005 wrote: Mon 18 Jul 2022, 8:21 am ‘I want to wake up’ would have been a great single!
IMHO the weakest track on the album.

On topic: they wanted Larry Blackmon (from Cameo) to work on Shopping. That would have been interesting. Ultimately, that didn't work out, and maybe for the better. The album has a consistent feel to it.

jasonjohn

#10 Post by jasonjohn »

Shopping might have been a more topical Christmas #1 for them

But at any rate, they were over exposed at this point. One less single might of even helped more than a different one.

TwizzleUK

#11 Post by TwizzleUK »

Disco. wrote: Mon 18 Jul 2022, 8:25 am Heart was a fantastic single, and was ofcourse scheduled to the first singe of Actually. They should have released more singles from Actually, another 2 singles would have been great.
Something I'd never noticed until revisiting 'Heart' yesterday following its inclusion in the latest tour. The single remix is slightly sped up compared to the album version. The version on 'Actually' is in A minor, but the single mix is closer to B flat minor and has a faster tempo. I wonder if this was intentional (to give it a little more pace as a single), or if it was some sort of production or mastering error? I've checked on multiple releases (original CD single, Discography, Ultimate, US PopArt, Actually Further Listening) and both the single mix and Disco Mix are faster and pitched higher.

Anyone else heard this mentioned before?
Last edited by TwizzleUK on Mon 18 Jul 2022, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwizzleUK

#12 Post by TwizzleUK »

[Duplicate post]

Dog

#13 Post by Dog »

TwizzleUK wrote:
Disco. wrote: Mon 18 Jul 2022, 8:25 am Heart was a fantastic single, and was ofcourse scheduled to the first singe of Actually. They should have released more singles from Actually, another 2 singles would have been great.
Something I'd never noticed until revisiting 'Heart' yesterday following its inclusion in the latest tour. The single remix is slightly sped up compared to the album version. The version on 'Actually' is in A minor, but the single mix is closer to B flat minor and has a faster tempo. I wonder if this was intentional (to give it a little more pace as a single), or if it was some sort of production or mastering error? I've checked on multiple releases (original CD single, Discography, Ultimate, US PopArt, Actually Further Listening) and both the single mix and Disco Mix are faster and pitched higher.

No but oddly the single version is the original version. It was remixed for the album, which was then the version which was released first.
Woof.

TallThinMan

#14 Post by TallThinMan »

Dog wrote: Mon 18 Jul 2022, 2:54 pm
TwizzleUK wrote:

No but oddly the single version is the original version. It was remixed for the album, which was then the version which was released first.
There was also an accident that wiped the drums from the multitrack for the start of the album version. They liked it, so decided to keep it that way. Maybe the slight pitching downwards happened at the same time?

raggatwin

#15 Post by raggatwin »

I was of the opinion that the single version of Heart had added disco potential....ie the added wah wah guitar
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.