2000s: the reasons why PSB became pop legends when nobody expected

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

#1 Post by Nickname »

The situtation for PSB in 2000s was a bit complicated. Its career was 2 decades long. Pet Shop Boys were not being played on Radio 1 anymore and they were not old enough to be considered pop legends. Chart rules were going to change and PSB had their last Top 10.

They have to reborn again with a younger sound. Yes was a perfect album in that way but the best they could do was to put a bigger effort in the live performances and get the train of music festivals (it was the most successful movement of PSB in the last decades). Just because when they got the Brit Award they started to appear almost on every festival of the world and Es Devlin did a good job with the design. They even had a longer exposure going on tour with Take That.

It was even further with the exposure because of the Olympics. I was fascinated how much they were involucrated on everything about that: Winbledon, closing ceremony (even West End Girls sounded in the opening ceremony) and with the athletes in Buckingham Palace. I really believe they were getting the level of British treasures at that time.

With the last albums, they were getting a bit of younger audiences and now they are pop legends. The Radio 2 concerts (thank you Radio 2 again and again!) made them get a higher status.

That's why you can see many people going to their concerts, many other living pop acts of their generation can't say the same.

Shopper

Re: 2000s: the reasons why PSB became pop legends when nobody expected

#2 Post by Shopper »

Good one!! also N&C are quintessential popstars who dare I say, love being famous, and in the now. So many simply retire or move away from the public eye.
Left to my own devices, I probably would...

https://www.instagram.com/chit2clix/

Nickname

#3 Post by Nickname »

It's funny because they talk about the same facts on the interview of the other day.

telys

#4 Post by telys »

Well, if you stick around long enough your early younger fans will have grown up and passed on the fandom to their kids or influenced other artists etc. The kids who listened to PSB in 1987 became grown up and well off at the other half of the 00's. It's just a question of sticking to it long enough. I believe I read somewhere that AC/DC sold heaps of records in the years between Stiff Upper Lip (2000) and Black Ice (2008), mostly because of their legacy status being cemented.
----
You've got me all wrong

tottenhammattspurs

#5 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

80s - Imperial
90s - respected in pop
00s - wilderness
10s - respect
20s - legends.
is is and isnt isnt

Dog

#6 Post by Dog »

84-86 arrival
87-93 imperial
94-08 survival
09-21 revival
22-xx mythical
Woof.

RichBeard

#7 Post by RichBeard »

Great article 👍 It feels like surviving the 2000s has been the key to their recent legendary/mythical status! Many other bands would have broken up or disappeared. I think they survived the naughties because of their songs ultimately. I became a fan in 99, so all the albums after I listen to more than pre 99, because I have more memories attached to them.

Also, seeing Dreamworld at the O2, it was great to ‘feel the love’ from the fans. There was a sense that people really appreciated the music and the boys’ contribution to pop as well as their own lives. It was a great ‘vibe’, much different to other shows I’ve been to. I also always think N & C could release a black Lace covers album & I would still buy & love it.. 😂

In general, I think people respect integrity & they respect great songs, and even though the 2000s commercially weren’t as successful as the 80s or 90s, they maintained both those qualities in that decade (their integrity & song writing). And fans like me, who were kids & teenagers in the 80s & 90s & knew something of the boys, we’re drawn in by their songs and their ability to keep rejuvenating their sound. And of course their side projects - the CTH soundtrack is a great album in itself & BP is beautifully crafted.

I’m also one of those rare fans who loves Release..😲 it could well be my favourite PSB album.. 😲😲. So I love the boys in 2000s! 😂😂