2000s: the reasons why PSB became pop legends when nobody expected

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

2000s: the reasons why PSB became pop legends when nobody expected

#1 Post by Nickname »

The situtation for PSB in 2000s was a bit complicated. Its career was 2 decades long. Pet Shop Boys were not being played on Radio 1 anymore and they were not old enough to be considered pop legends. Chart rules were going to change and PSB had their last Top 10.

They have to reborn again with a younger sound. Yes was a perfect album in that way but the best they could do was to put a bigger effort in the live performances and get the train of music festivals (it was the most successful movement of PSB in the last decades). Just because when they got the Brit Award they started to appear almost on every festival of the world and Es Devlin did a good job with the design. They even had a longer exposure going on tour with Take That.

It was even further with the exposure because of the Olympics. I was fascinated how much they were involucrated on everything about that: Winbledon, closing ceremony (even West End Girls sounded in the opening ceremony) and with the athletes in Buckingham Palace. I really believe they were getting the level of British treasures at that time.

With the last albums, they were getting a bit of younger audiences and now they are pop legends. The Radio 2 concerts (thank you Radio 2 again and again!) made them get a higher status.

That's why you can see many people going to their concerts, many other living pop acts of their generation can't say the same.

Shopper

Re: 2000s: the reasons why PSB became pop legends when nobody expected

#2 Post by Shopper »

Good one!! also N&C are quintessential popstars who dare I say, love being famous, and in the now. So many simply retire or move away from the public eye.
I was born in a hospital room with green walls, the doctor who delivered me wore a green overall, so did the nurses hovering around. So much greenery around, its no wonder that it is my favourite colour !

My Blog
On Facebook

Nickname

Re: 2000s: the reasons why PSB became pop legends when nobody expected

#3 Post by Nickname »

It's funny because they talk about the same facts on the interview of the other day.