BBC2 Takeover

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
psbnyc

Re: BBC2 Takeover

#16 Post by psbnyc »

Future Lover wrote: Wed 29 Dec 2021, 11:59 am I've listened to it with no problem!
Same here!

Nickname

#17 Post by Nickname »

I was listening the whole show live on Radio 2 the other day.

I expected a more modern sounding. Something similar they did for Radio 1 many years ago but with sound of the new millenium. But well it was Radio 2, so instead of that we found a show plenty of tracks from the 70's (when Neil and Chris were teenagers), disco songs and some musical tunes. With a few tracks you wouldn't expect from Pet Shop Boys. I love when they play something unexpected coming from them.

On terms of quality, the show was good but it sounded quite dated. Even for Pet Shop Boys, they came from the 80's.

Dog

#18 Post by Dog »

Nickname wrote:I was listening the whole show live on Radio 2 the other day.

I expected a more modern sounding. Something similar they did for Radio 1 many years ago but with sound of the new millenium. But well it was Radio 2, so instead of that we found a show plenty of tracks from the 70's (when Neil and Chris were teenagers), disco songs and some musical tunes. With a few tracks you wouldn't expect from Pet Shop Boys. I love when they play something unexpected coming from them.

On terms of quality, the show was good but it sounded quite dated. Even for Pet Shop Boys, they came from the 80's.
I think reflective is a fairer description than dated. It felt like an honest picture of where they are at right now - a distillation of all things PSB. We are hardly all out clubbing every week as things stand but there were still some current tracks in and amongst. Lockdown themes of loneliness and missing others came across clearly. And it was interesting that they played so many tracks from artists they have collaborated with, or have mooted future collaborations with.
Woof.

TallThinMan

#19 Post by TallThinMan »

Dog wrote: Wed 29 Dec 2021, 4:36 pmAnd it was interesting that they played so many tracks from artists they have collaborated with, or have mooted future collaborations with.
They need the royalty money.

Dog

#20 Post by Dog »

TallThinMan wrote:
Dog wrote: Wed 29 Dec 2021, 4:36 pmAnd it was interesting that they played so many tracks from artists they have collaborated with, or have mooted future collaborations with.
A good chunk of them weren’t their compositions.
Woof.

TallThinMan

#21 Post by TallThinMan »

Dog wrote: Wed 29 Dec 2021, 6:56 pm
TallThinMan wrote:
A good chunk of them weren’t their compositions.
Well I wasn’t being entirely serious, but did you ever notice how Neil has a habit of singing on the remixes they do for other people? I think they probably get a small amount of money from that. Seriously, I’m sure it’s done for artistic reasons. After all, we are talking about the group that lost money from the Performance tour and the original Very CD case.

Disco.

#22 Post by Disco. »

They didn’t loose money from the original Very cd case, but 40p was deducted from their royalties for each “ Lego” cd case sold, but ofcourse you could say that it cost them money, which it did.

stussyboy

#23 Post by stussyboy »

It’s no longer like the old days when their radio shows would shape my entire musical taste, but still 1 or 2 unheard gems pop up - in this case Paradis and the MGMT track which I hadn’t heard. Like the Chemical Bros track too

They made a joke when playing Marvin Gaye about how he’s been a big influence, but no one would know from their music. It seems Chris is increasingly enjoying more “soul” music / Northern Soul etc. What influence, if any, this will have on PSB in the future remains to be seen
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

minimal

#24 Post by minimal »

I'd like to copy my original post into this thread as it fits much better.

Again, thanks for the (now complete) playlist. Wasn't able to listen to the whole show when aired and still have to give it a proper spin. However, I've checked the Spotify playlist and Neil chose to play Paradis whose debut released a couple of years ago is probably my most favourite and most cherished electronic record for three years now.

I like the idea of PSB considering to collaborate with Pierre Rousseau of Paradis (the band is no more) and let him produce new music of theirs. He's probably one of the most talented and up and coming producers around and did a great job with Nicolas Godin's album last year. Also admiring his soundtracks and solo works. As a producer it appears to me that Rousseau has a very subtle (may I say gentle) yet effective signature. I'd say he's a thinker (composer) with a strong focus. However, structurally he's not that predictable (thinking outside the box) and the outcome always has an emotional appeal. He's certainly got a thing for pop. And that combination would make him an interesting choice for Neil and Chris. He's able to adapt to an artist's original sound aesthetic while helping them shape their characteristics and strengths. In my opinion, that's what they need the most. It's also how they've always worked.

Indeed, in a romantic French pop vision of mine I find the idea of PSB and Rousseau together residing somewhere in France and record some new pop jewels very appealing.

You reading this, Neil? 🙋🏼‍♂️

m+

Vince

#25 Post by Vince »

I'm halfway through the set, and I love it.
This is what I wanted from the boys. Classical recommendations with a smattering of new songs.
H.A.P.P.I.N.E.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.
S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.

My Poems:
http://wordsunchained.blogspot.com/

lucienchardon

#26 Post by lucienchardon »

I like the song by the Chemical Brothers that Chris picked. It reminds me of Vocal.

PopArt

#27 Post by PopArt »

Agree- Chemical Brothers song was great. There was a really nice mix of tracks across the whole show. A bit more chat from them would have been nice though. But then again I have always been of the view that Neil and Chris should have their own regular TV/radio show!
I'm always waiting...

jasonjohn

#28 Post by jasonjohn »

22 days left to listen, I assume someone has this "backed up" somewhere for prosperity?

minimal

#29 Post by minimal »

minimal wrote: Thu 30 Dec 2021, 7:20 am [...]

I like the idea of PSB considering to collaborate with Pierre Rousseau of Paradis (the band is no more) and let him produce new music of theirs. He's probably one of the most talented and up and coming producers around and did a great job with Nicolas Godin's album last year. Also admiring his soundtracks and solo works. As a producer it appears to me that Rousseau has a very subtle (may I say gentle) yet effective signature. I'd say he's a thinker (composer) with a strong focus. However, structurally he's not that predictable (thinking outside the box) and the outcome always has an emotional appeal. He's certainly got a thing for pop. And that combination would make him an interesting choice for Neil and Chris. He's able to adapt to an artist's original sound aesthetic while helping them shape their characteristics and strengths. In my opinion, that's what they need the most. It's also how they've always worked.

Indeed, in a romantic French pop vision of mine I find the idea of PSB and Rousseau together residing somewhere in France and record some new pop jewels very appealing.

You reading this, Neil? 🙋🏼‍♂️

m+
This is Rousseau's latest work. Dope. I'd love to see him work with Neil and Chris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK3aSZ9zldI&t=4s

Spoiler: At 7.38 minutes in, there's a real PSB-like moment. ;)

m+