Shep Pettibone collection

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Pod

Re: Shep Pettibone collection

#31 Post by Pod »

Dog wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021, 7:25 am
Pod wrote:Some signed copies been made available again on Amazon UK if you are quick!
Oddly it’s signed by Arthur Baker, rather than Shep.
Yeah I thought that too, but I suppose it is ‘Arthur Baker Presents…’

Sold out again now.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Tom Angel

#32 Post by Tom Angel »

I was aware that Shep did the immaculate disco mix of What Have I Done To Deserve This?

But I understand there was a (Shep Pettibone Remix) too. Does anyone know what this was released on?
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Tom Angel

#34 Post by Tom Angel »

Nice one - thank you - I hope one of his What Have I Done To Deserve This? mixes will make it onto volume 2
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

oakey

#35 Post by oakey »

Pod wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021, 9:58 pm
Dog wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021, 7:25 am
Pod wrote:Some signed copies been made available again on Amazon UK if you are quick!
Oddly it’s signed by Arthur Baker, rather than Shep.
Like I said before, Shep has retired from the music bussiness ages ago and he is not in any way involved in this release either.
Tom Angel wrote: Fri 01 Oct 2021, 2:41 pm Nice one - thank you - I hope one of his What Have I Done To Deserve This? mixes will make it onto volume 2
Volume 2 will feature remixes by another DJ/remixer, so not just another release with more from Pettibone

Dog

#36 Post by Dog »

oakey wrote:
Pod wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021, 9:58 pm
Dog wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021, 7:25 am Oddly it’s signed by Arthur Baker, rather than Shep.
Like I said before, Shep has retired from the music bussiness ages ago and he is not in any way involved in this release either.
Tom Angel wrote: Fri 01 Oct 2021, 2:41 pm Nice one - thank you - I hope one of his What Have I Done To Deserve This? mixes will make it onto volume 2
Volume 2 will feature remixes by another DJ/remixer, so not just another release with more from Pettibone
Yes, I know, but the point remains that it is slightly strange that a four CD set of Shep’s remixes arrives signed by someone else. I understand how and why that is the case but I wonder if at any point the oddity had struck Arthur Baker.
Woof.

TwizzleUK

#37 Post by TwizzleUK »

Tom Angel wrote: Fri 01 Oct 2021, 2:15 pm I was aware that Shep did the immaculate disco mix of What Have I Done To Deserve This?

But I understand there was a (Shep Pettibone Remix) too. Does anyone know what this was released on?
I assume that's just the 'Disco Mix' under a different name?

raggatwin

#38 Post by raggatwin »

Two further mixes of What have I done to deserve this? by Shep on the US 12 inch.

A more percussive version and a superior dub of that from what I recall.
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

One of the crowd

#39 Post by One of the crowd »

TwizzleUK wrote: Sat 02 Oct 2021, 10:21 am
Tom Angel wrote: Fri 01 Oct 2021, 2:15 pm I was aware that Shep did the immaculate disco mix of What Have I Done To Deserve This?

I assume that's just the 'Disco Mix' under a different name?
Extended Mix 6:53 (12R6163) - Julian Mendelsohn
Disco Mix 8:13 (12R6163) - Shep Pettibone
The Shep Pettibone Remix 8:28 (EMI Manhattan V56080 & E1 75211) - Shep Pettibone
Dub Mix 7:17 (EMI Manhattan V56080 & E1 75211) - Shep Pettibone
Did Zoe Ball let something slip today? (31:01:24)

Oznerol

#40 Post by Oznerol »

Oznerol wrote: Thu 01 Jul 2021, 5:45 am .....
The strange thing here, is that the original "Mastermix" (on that CD and also on the 12" releases) is 8:09 in lenght. But The track lenght on this new Pettibone compilation is reported as 8:27 (on CD) and 8:35 (on vinyl). Maybe a mistake on the lenghts information, or maybe we´ll get a variant (or two? I don´t think so...) of the original Mastermix!
It seems that (one of) the early lenght reports was right, as the vesrion included on this new CD is 8:35, instead of the original 8:09 Mastermix from the 12" singles!
I didn't had the chance to hear it yet, but I´m guessing that it must be the "full lenght" Mastermix..staring as on the original 12" singles, but with the full-ending as on the Disco album..and not faded as on the 12" singles.
Anybody can confirm that?
This is not my signature.

Dog

Shep Pettibone collection

#41 Post by Dog »

Oznerol wrote:
Oznerol wrote: Thu 01 Jul 2021, 5:45 am .....
The strange thing here, is that the original "Mastermix" (on that CD and also on the 12" releases) is 8:09 in lenght. But The track lenght on this new Pettibone compilation is reported as 8:27 (on CD) and 8:35 (on vinyl). Maybe a mistake on the lenghts information, or maybe we´ll get a variant (or two? I don´t think so...) of the original Mastermix!
It seems that (one of) the early lenght reports was right, as the vesrion included on this new CD is 8:35, instead of the original 8:09 Mastermix from the 12" singles!
I didn't had the chance to hear it yet, but I´m guessing that it must be the "full lenght" Mastermix..staring as on the original 12" singles, but with the full-ending as on the Disco album..and not faded as on the 12" singles.
Anybody can confirm that?
Yes, I think this is what we have here. So:

West End girls (Shep Pettibone Mastermix) from the 12” single has an early fade. (8:09)

West End girls (untitled mix on the Disco album) replaces the intro with that from West End Dub and has the full fade out (9:04)

This version has the original Mastermix intro as heard on the 12” single, but also the full fade as heard on Disco. (8:35)
Woof.

Oznerol

#42 Post by Oznerol »

Yes, I already heard it and that´s deinetely what we have! The "full" mastermix..after more than 35 years. Confirming that the 'full ending' as on Disco, was always there.
Now the question is WHY somebody decided to fade out the ending of full version that was released on the 12" remix singles on 1986!!
This is not my signature.

Gary1962

#43 Post by Gary1962 »

Anybody bought this collection, if so what is the mastering like??

Looks a fabulous release, good to see Shep getting some recognition, loved his PSB mixes.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

Disco.

#44 Post by Disco. »

Fantastic collection, can’t wait for the next release in this series !

tottenhammattspurs

#45 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

What do reckon the next collection will be? I’m guessing Jellybean. He had a lot of mixes out in the 80s including his own compositions.
is is and isnt isnt