It’s A Sin - Years & Years cover (Moderator Comment Post 276)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Patrick Bateman

Re: It’s A Sin - Years & Years cover

#226 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Dog wrote: Sat 15 May 2021, 1:05 amI guess we don’t know firmly whether or not Neil was originally supposed to sing as part of the performance / on the release. If the Variety interview is correct, and that Neil and Chris didn’t attend rehearsals because it was not necessary for their performance, it suggests there was never any vocal. If that is the case, I agree PSB would be hard pushed to claim any lead credit on what was originally an Olly and Elton collaboration. They were simply the producers. If they disagreed to the point where they removed Neil’s vocal from the record, that for me would be a different story.
Exactly. It does seem like something occurred simply because of the way they have barely acknowledged the performance but there's no indication that Neil was ever slated to sing on the track.
Last edited by Patrick Bateman on Sat 15 May 2021, 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greendrake

#227 Post by Greendrake »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Sat 15 May 2021, 1:56 am And how many songwriters that don't perform on the record are actually credited as the performing artist?
Wait, why "don't perform"? They say: "It is true that Pet Shop Boys had been asked to be part of the performance".

The whole fuss is about that they didn't perform — in whatever role — be it singing, engaging in a Sodom and Gomorrah show or just standing still.

So, if they were to perform in the show (and, consequently, would be deemed to perform on the record, even if not voicing anything), they would certainly be credited as performing artist. The theory that they did not perform because they could not agree on the exact credits is viable and it indeed may have contributed to them walking away. But it does not corroborate with what the O2 insider reportedly said, or with the It's a sin 1989 post.

Sandy Shaw

#228 Post by Sandy Shaw »

There's precedent for giving the producers of recordings top line credits if they've had a substantial contribution such as Peter Rauhofer+Pet Shop Boys=The Collaboration. As someone has mentioned however on that basis Elton and Ollie would have needed to credit Stuart Price too, so it all gets really unwieldy.
What's for supper?

Sandy Shaw

#229 Post by Sandy Shaw »

leesmapman wrote: Thu 13 May 2021, 6:15 pm
rashomon wrote: Thu 13 May 2021, 2:55 pm
G_Goalden wrote: Thu 13 May 2021, 2:13 pm My take away from the performance was: 'how great did that video screen look'? - Hopefully Es took the idea from the planned Dreamworld tour staging and that we have that to look forward to next year.
Don't think Es Devlin is involved in the Dreamworld Tour. At least that's whatI remember reading somewhere way back when.
No, during the Dreamworld/Hotspot promoting Neil mentioned she was working on a big play at that moment. A Mary Poppins stage play?
She's been working with Abba on the "Abbatars".
What's for supper?

TallThinMan

#230 Post by TallThinMan »

It’s seems likely that the single was made before the Brits performance, so I don’t think Neil ever appeared as a vocalist. My guess is that they would have been unveiled on stage playing keyboards or something when the synth arpeggio from their version kicked in.

Also, I just listened to a snippet of the single on iTunes and Elton’s vocal really is bloody awful. I’ll stick with the definitive version from 1987 thanks.
Last edited by TallThinMan on Sat 15 May 2021, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

ype

#231 Post by ype »

Rewatching the performance, it seems that from 4:09 till 4:24 there's an unnecessary repetition of the chorus and the screen with projections goes all blue. It feels a little like an anticlimax. I think this is probably where Neil and Chris were supposed to feature.

romy

#232 Post by romy »

But all in all you can see-even today it is possible to reach the Official Single Charts....

MikeyC

#233 Post by MikeyC »

Wow, surprisingly U.S. publication “Variety” is now reporting the story:

https://variety.com/2021/music/global/p ... 73257/amp/

Eleven

#234 Post by Eleven »

Elton John vocal performance of Its A Sin is easy the worst thing I heard from him, he has songs that are gold, he isnt in its sweet spot since way back to the early 90s

TallThinMan

#235 Post by TallThinMan »

What’s the point of having moderators who won’t moderate?
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

Greendrake

#236 Post by Greendrake »

TallThinMan wrote: Sat 15 May 2021, 11:37 pm What’s the point of having moderators who won’t moderate?
Who is having them? They have us here :mrgreen:.

jasonjohn

#238 Post by jasonjohn »

TallThinMan wrote: Sat 15 May 2021, 12:29 pm It’s seems likely that the single was made before the Brits performance, so I don’t think Neil ever appeared as a vocalist.
Yeah this is very true. Single would of been made before the rehearsals, even.

tucky101

#239 Post by tucky101 »

TallThinMan wrote: Sat 15 May 2021, 11:37 pm What’s the point of having moderators who won’t moderate?
I would like the moderators and or admin of this forum to explain why they let one individual post so much homophobia. I complained Months ago but received no response.

I’ve posted some links above to websites to make a point about mental health, and homophobic bullying. I’m a gay man who, like many, struggled with mental health as a result of my sexuality and found empathy in the music of the pet shop boys. Clearly this individual is as damaged as I am.

Apologies this has nothing to do with the topic. Needed saying. Logging off now and I doubt I’ll return.

tottenhammattspurs

#240 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

As a side note, Olly is in danger of becoming the 21st century Andy Bell. Being flamboyant and comfortable with your sexuality is fine, I couldn’t give two hoots who or floats anyone else’s boat, but you can’t keep that “profile” when you’re in your 50s. You don’t get taken seriously. There’s a reason the Boys are revered and get Glastonbury slots and Andy Bell sings A Little Respect on Ant and Dec. Perhaps the It’s A Sin performance was just something they simply didn’t want to do.
is is and isnt isnt