Burning the heather

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Patrick Bateman

Re: Burning the heather

#196 Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue 19 Nov 2019, 11:55 am

Future Lover wrote:
Tue 19 Nov 2019, 11:11 am
These attempts to shoehorn meanings that aren't there are honestly pathetic, and show to which lengths the conservative underbelly is always on the hunt to find """secret meanings""" that somehow prove that the world is gonna f*** them over, the little man the gays and migrants will ruin. If this song was indeed about Brexit, surely someone else would notice? Equally imbecilic as attempting to read the word Hotspot as something migrant-related.

If it wasn't clear enough, they kept the politics separate by releasing Agenda first. Dreamland was explained as being metaphoric about the migrant plight back in 2017, before we heard even a second of it, but stop... trying to tie the entire album into it? It's weird.
It’s what most humanities academics spend their lives doing.

ArtHist

#197 Post by ArtHist » Tue 19 Nov 2019, 1:04 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Tue 19 Nov 2019, 11:55 am
Future Lover wrote:
These attempts to shoehorn meanings that aren't there are honestly pathetic, and show to which lengths the conservative underbelly is always on the hunt to find """secret meanings""" that somehow prove that the world is gonna f*** them over, the little man the gays and migrants will ruin. If this song was indeed about Brexit, surely someone else would notice? Equally imbecilic as attempting to read the word Hotspot as something migrant-related.

If it wasn't clear enough, they kept the politics separate by releasing Agenda first. Dreamland was explained as being metaphoric about the migrant plight back in 2017, before we heard even a second of it, but stop... trying to tie the entire album into it? It's weird.
It’s what most humanities academics spend their lives doing.
See also 'Scienceguy'.

Ghost within this house

#198 Post by Ghost within this house » Tue 19 Nov 2019, 1:45 pm

Future Lover wrote:

One question:

'And where I am bound, no one knows'...

In your view, does this simply mean that the narrator in the song doesn't know where he is going after he's had his drink - whether he'll go home, or perhaps stop at the chip shop?

If yes, then fine, and I have nothing further to say to you.
If no, then where do you draw the line on implicit meaning?
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

onzio

#199 Post by onzio » Tue 19 Nov 2019, 2:00 pm

Future Lover wrote:
Equally imbecilic as attempting to read the word Hotspot as something migrant-related.
Probably because in Italy we have more hotspots for migrants than hotspots for internet.

:lol:
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

TallThinMan

#200 Post by TallThinMan » Tue 19 Nov 2019, 3:40 pm

Ghost within this house wrote:
Tue 19 Nov 2019, 1:45 pm
One question:

'And where I am bound, no one knows'...

In your view, does this simply mean that the narrator in the song doesn't know where he is going after he's had his drink - whether he'll go home, or perhaps stop at the chip shop?
It’s none of the above. It means the narrator has been kidnapped and is tied to a chair in a remote farmhouse.

Future Lover

#201 Post by Future Lover » Tue 19 Nov 2019, 3:45 pm

Sorry about that, onzio, makes sense that way. :)
I'm just tired of using the Boys' leftist leanings as a stick to beat them with, and putting a ruminative song about old age and the difficulty of romance into the tired connect-the-dots, decipher-the-political-subtext kind of box. It's no different to when everyone thought they were always ironic early on. We all know that's bullshit. They are political, but not everything they do these days is to be projected through that prism.

And no, Ghost, please don't trivialize. There are more and less valid ways of seeing things. You would say Mona Lisa is a man just because Leonardo fancied them.

glennjridge

#202 Post by glennjridge » Tue 19 Nov 2019, 4:54 pm

Future Lover wrote:
These attempts to shoehorn meanings that aren't there are honestly pathetic, and show to which lengths the conservative underbelly is always on the hunt to find """secret meanings""" that somehow prove that the world is gonna f*** them over, the little man the gays and migrants will ruin.
Small correction. it is not the conservative types who see Trumps and Guilianis inserted in everything and imagine jail cells for Trump. Those type of observations are usually made by the left.

ZiggyPSB

#203 Post by ZiggyPSB » Tue 19 Nov 2019, 5:56 pm

Guys, stop trying to ruin this song and this album. Stop trying to shoehorn politics into everything because this place is bitter enough as it is.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

glennjridge

#204 Post by glennjridge » Tue 19 Nov 2019, 6:27 pm

This is all Neils fault. He planned this.

Ghost within this house

#205 Post by Ghost within this house » Tue 19 Nov 2019, 6:53 pm

The song is not about Brexit, but the assumptions the narrator fears the bar staff are making about him reflect a wider narrative about changing social mores in this country - the abrasive, labelling, cynical and presumptuous way we interact with each other these days, in a nation that is fundamentally divided. And, since Brexit lies at the heart of this rift, it is, in some sense, a song written in the shadow of Brexit.

I'm not ruining the album by saying this. And some posters might do well to be less naive. Politics cuts across all social interactions, and Neil is one of the great social commentators of his time. The album WILL be 'about' Brexit, even if none of the songs is explicitly about Brexit.

Unvarnished in its telling.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

Waffleon

#206 Post by Waffleon » Tue 19 Nov 2019, 7:06 pm

I just read Ghost's response, which sums up everything I think (more eloquently too). The song is about burning the bloody heather, getting rid of the old to make way for the new. So of course it isn't JUST about a man in a pub. It is about aging, time, global warming, society. It is brilliant really. I'm shocked that people are so antagonised. I want PSB to be writing lyrics like this, it is why I love them. Neil is a flaming legend.

Patrick Bateman

#207 Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue 19 Nov 2019, 7:13 pm

Well, I still think it’s a Brexit allegory - even if the thought police aren’t happy about that. :shhh:

alig

#208 Post by alig » Tue 19 Nov 2019, 7:35 pm

Such a heated discussion over a mediocre ditty.
"John 3:16."

Nicholas

#209 Post by Nicholas » Tue 19 Nov 2019, 7:46 pm

Waffleon wrote:
Tue 19 Nov 2019, 7:06 pm
flaming
lolz

EDIT: This was actually the start of quite a long and insightful post, but for whatever reason the ‘lolz’ seems to be the only bit that saved properly so sorry about that.
Last edited by Nicholas on Tue 19 Nov 2019, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stopthecar

#210 Post by stopthecar » Tue 19 Nov 2019, 8:03 pm

Okey after letting the song sink in for a few days :
My initial thoughts were meh not another gitar song.
But then it grew on my, and now I think it's bloody brilliant.

I already played this a lot more than Dreamland and still loving it.