Bilingual US re-issue CD on Sire label

Q&As about collecting and collections, items and value of PSB related material. Discuss new and old PSB collector items.
deekay

Bilingual US re-issue CD on Sire label

#1 Post by deekay »

I have recently acquired the US re-issue CD of Bilingual on the Sire label (which I think was released in 1999) and which has proved very hard to find at a reasonable price. I found it online eventually for the equivalent of about £15 plus overseas shipping.

The date on the disc and sleeve state 1996 but it was originally released on the Atlantic label in 1996 and Sire took over production at a much later date so can anybody confirm when it was released on the Sire label?

I would suggest that because it was a limited production run then the value can only increase over time but I can’t find any indication of how many of these were actually produced or the current value unless somebody out there knows differently.

retrofuturist

Re: Bilingual US re-issue CD on Sire label

#2 Post by retrofuturist »

These people MAY have listed it wrongly, but if they're right, the asking price is not much... https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-B ... se/6834215

As for the dating, Discogs doesn't specify it, and PSB Catalogue lists it only as 2000-something.
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

deekay

#3 Post by deekay »

Thanks for that information. Nightlife was released towards the end of 1999 in the US on the Sire label only but I was led to believe that a limited Sire reissue of Bilingual was released as a dummy run / precursor to the Nightlife main launch in early November of that year.

retrofuturist

#4 Post by retrofuturist »

You could be right. No one seems to know much about it. If you do discover anything, let us know. :)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

dynamobjornen

#5 Post by dynamobjornen »

The relese number on the Sire release of Bilingual is 31088-2

https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-B ... se/6834215

The number on Nightlife is 31086-2.

https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-N ... ease/47725

Given that, probably released roughly at the same time.
"Sometimes someone gets upset doesn't hear the laughter takes it as a threat".

deekay

#6 Post by deekay »

Yes well spotted. As the US release of Nightlife was 2nd November 1999 it would seem that the Bilingual reissue was just after that but still in 1999 as previously surmised.

retrofuturist

#7 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
deekay wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019, 12:06 pm Yes well spotted. As the US release of Nightlife was 2nd November 1999 it would seem that the Bilingual reissue was just after that but still in 1999 as previously surmised.
Possibly but not necessarily. From what I've seen, catalogue numbers are usually issued once a decision is made to proceed with the "project". It's not something that happens at the tail-end of the process in a chronological order aligned with release dates, because the catalogue number needs to be included on the artwork etc. Some projects take longer than others, and some are pushed through more quickly as a matter of priority.

That said, I do think though you could safely narrow it down to either 1999 or 2000.

Retro. :)