Ausfahrt = EXIT

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
y3potential

Re: Ausfahrt = EXIT

#16 Post by y3potential » Sat 14 Sep 2019, 10:28 pm

To borrow a phrase: Let's enjoy it all while it lasts...
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

ArtHist

#17 Post by ArtHist » Sun 15 Sep 2019, 5:47 pm

Marie loves PSB wrote:
Sat 14 Sep 2019, 5:33 pm
ArtHist wrote:
Sat 14 Sep 2019, 10:23 am
Ausfahrt- the sound one makes after breaking wind in the bath? : (
ArtHist - you made me laugh that much you made my newly pierced ear hurt! :lol:
Sorry! :oops:

jules

#18 Post by jules » Sun 15 Sep 2019, 6:03 pm

ArtHist wrote:
Thus the "pet" shop boys.
julien676.skyblog.com

Marie loves PSB

#19 Post by Marie loves PSB » Mon 16 Sep 2019, 8:36 am

ArtHist wrote:
Sun 15 Sep 2019, 5:47 pm
Marie loves PSB wrote:
Sat 14 Sep 2019, 5:33 pm
ArtHist wrote:
ArtHist - you made me laugh that much you made my newly pierced ear hurt! :lol:
Sorry! :oops:
It's Alright. :wink:

onzio

#20 Post by onzio » Mon 16 Sep 2019, 9:22 am

Sorry, long post and sorry for mistakes and my english.

This negativity is absolutely natural at this point.
If you look at PSB carreer they went through all the phases that a long lasting celebrity could live.
Early excitement and sudden succes. PSB as a One Hit Wonder? No way.
They went through their imperial phase making them one of the most succesful and talented acts of the 80's.
They obviouly become familiar, categorized and too much exposed so with discography everything seemed over. PSB as an 80's band? No way.
Very arrived, their best charting album in the UK. That makes them a mature act with a strong fanbase and that success was enough to make them survive to the 90's. Neil came out, that moved them a little bit closer to the ghetto, Bilingual and Nightlife were experimental and not propably not commercial enough. PSB as a gay band? No way
Release was their nadir, poor sales, average quality and we get a little bit tired of such a common scheme. PSB finished? No way.
The resurrection comes, starting with Disco 3 and getting topping with YES and the Brit's. From now I will stop asking if PSB are finished.
Everything we get is a bonus, for us: the fans. PSB as a living legend.
Another shorter cycle of less success comes with the couplet Elysium, leaving Parlophone and Electric, starting x2 followed by Super, made up for touring... endlessly. PSB as a live indie electric band.
Now we are through a phase where pepole is getting bored again, like the end of the '80s. Nothing really new musically comes from the PSB side, they become more exposed on social themes and that is divisive, but the song are made to be liked by us, the fans. Everything is familiar, kinda "already heard" feeling. No new fans will come, we are in a fade out phase that will end with a greatest hits.
What will happen to PSB in the next couple of years?
I don't really know the answer but I know for sure what will be the last phase: the regretting one. PSB after their retirement will be celebrated as one of the greatest electronic bands of history, and they will grow a strong post carreer fame.
That happened to Amy Whinehouse, so it will happen to everybody.
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

pepesilva

#21 Post by pepesilva » Thu 19 Sep 2019, 8:04 am

The song is about Brexit and the word Ausfahrt is because it's the Berlin metro. i think the boys wouldn't have a problem saying so if it was their last work

daveid

#22 Post by daveid » Thu 19 Sep 2019, 9:10 am

fasto wrote:
Sat 14 Sep 2019, 5:58 pm
That word jumped out at me too, but not because I interpreted it in terms of PSB quitting, but simply because it's the wrong word to use in a U-Bahn station. Ausfahrt and Ausgang both mean Exit, but Ausfahrt comes from fahren (=to drive), and is what you'd use to get off a highway, whereas Ausgang comes from gehen (=to walk) and would be what those signs would be labelled in a german subway station. I wonder if that's intentional or just badly translated (since they both mean exit).
Exactly. I've never seen AUSFAHRT used in the context of a station or other public building. Always AUSGANG. This was obviously put together by someone who'd never been to Germany.

le petit corbusier

#23 Post by le petit corbusier » Thu 19 Sep 2019, 2:48 pm

pepesilva wrote:The song is about Brexit and the word Ausfahrt is because it's the Berlin metro. i think the boys wouldn't have a problem saying so if it was their last work
The song is about refugees, it seems. Neil explained that in the preconcert interview.
Look left, then right
And run for your life

onzio

#24 Post by onzio » Thu 19 Sep 2019, 3:56 pm

le petit corbusier wrote:
Thu 19 Sep 2019, 2:48 pm
pepesilva wrote:The song is about Brexit and the word Ausfahrt is because it's the Berlin metro. i think the boys wouldn't have a problem saying so if it was their last work
The song is about refugees, it seems. Neil explained that in the preconcert interview.
Yes, it is what he's got on his mind. I heard it too, but I still think that could be a sort of escape-from-routine love song.
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music