Dricography: Ranking Behaviour

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Palpatine

Re: Dricography: Ranking Behaviour

#16 Post by Palpatine »

The only thing I don't like about the Jealousy single package (at least on the CD single) is the sleeve. The picture of Neil fits the song but Chris looks like he's having way too much fun and the font is too rave-y.

StevePSB
Site Admin

#17 Post by StevePSB »

I wish I had the patience and talent to write half as eloquently as Drico, but I'll sum it up like this :

For many years PSB were my favourite act. In recent years I haven't been as enthusiastic about their post 1991 output and I've come to realise that my first love (Midge Ure era Ultravox) deserve, and take, the top spot again. They didn't make a single track that I didn't at worst like, or at best absolutely love.

BUT!

Behaviour is the best album I've ever heard from any band ever. Full stop. No arguments.

With Behaviour PSB grew up and made the most beautiful, personal (yet still very electronic) music they ever had, or ever would. I never, ever tire of listening to it. It's as close to perfection as I think I'll ever hear in an album, and I listen to it in awe.

StevePSB

Philby2

#18 Post by Philby2 »

Behaviour is currently my favourite PSB album (maybe its the time of year), a position variously swapped and shared with Introspective and Actually.

Half of Behaviour is 5 of the finest songs in PSB canon, in Being boring, This must be the place, My October Symphony, So hard and Jealousy, and the other 5 are merely essential.

Don't think i've ever skipped a song on Behaviour.

dynamobjornen

#19 Post by dynamobjornen »

Drico One wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018, 12:18 am I marvelled at the secret appeal of Pet Shop Boys and how much they must be loved for anybody to want to buy West End Sunglasses.
A sign of true devotion indeed :lol:
"Sometimes someone gets upset doesn't hear the laughter takes it as a threat".

It can be two things

#20 Post by It can be two things »

DJ Culture is about the plasticity of meaning, no? The post-modern experience par excellence - everything is surface, nothing is real (because what is realistic or matieral is "terribly old-fashioned", after all)...

An when nothing is what it seems - where war can be a game or a holiday (cf. Baudrillard) - you can be whoever and whatever you want to be. Take a little from here and a little from there, just like a DJ takes a passage from one song and a beat from another to create something new. You can remix yourself into something new.

That sense of remaking the self is particularly apposite for those at the margins of a culture. If you're not in and of the mainstream - if the mainstream actively rejects and marginalises you - how do you be you? What tools do you have you self-realisation/self-actualisation?

One approach is camp - a particularly knowing performance of identity. Is camp not "indulgent" and matter of "pride"? Doesn't it provide a voice to the voiceless - may the marginalised, Lord, have a chance to say something?

Enough $5 words. Let the bass kick.

It can be two things

#21 Post by It can be two things »

The only thing I don't like about the Jealousy single package (at least on the CD single) is the sleeve. The picture of Neil fits the song but Chris looks like he's having way too much fun and the font is too rave-y.
Neil is wondering why you didn't phone when you said you would. Chris is rushing through the crowd, the sweat pouring off him.

Palpatine

#22 Post by Palpatine »

It can be two things wrote: Fri 16 Nov 2018, 5:39 pm
Neil is wondering why you didn't phone when you said you would. Chris is rushing through the crowd, the sweat pouring off him.
:lol: That never occurred to me.

York Minster

#23 Post by York Minster »

It can be two things wrote: Fri 16 Nov 2018, 5:35 pm DJ Culture is about the plasticity of meaning, no? The post-modern experience par excellence - everything is surface, nothing is real (because what is realistic or matieral is "terribly old-fashioned", after all)...

An when nothing is what it seems - where war can be a game or a holiday (cf. Baudrillard) - you can be whoever and whatever you want to be. Take a little from here and a little from there, just like a DJ takes a passage from one song and a beat from another to create something new. You can remix yourself into something new.

That sense of remaking the self is particularly apposite for those at the margins of a culture. If you're not in and of the mainstream - if the mainstream actively rejects and marginalises you - how do you be you? What tools do you have you self-realisation/self-actualisation?

One approach is camp - a particularly knowing performance of identity. Is camp not "indulgent" and matter of "pride"? Doesn't it provide a voice to the voiceless - may the marginalised, Lord, have a chance to say something?

Appears Drico has a new account.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

It can be two things

#24 Post by It can be two things »

It can be two things wrote: ↑Fri 16 Nov 2018, 5:35 pm
DJ Culture is about the plasticity of meaning, no? The post-modern experience par excellence - everything is surface, nothing is real (because what is realistic or matieral is "terribly old-fashioned", after all)...

Appears Drico has a new account.
Pretension is a broad church ;)

Pod

#25 Post by Pod »

Palpatine wrote: Thu 15 Nov 2018, 6:01 am The only thing I don't like about the Jealousy single package (at least on the CD single) is the sleeve. The picture of Neil fits the song but Chris looks like he's having way too much fun and the font is too rave-y.
Wasn’t it meant to show jealous feelings?
Neil: solemn
Chris: anger
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Patrick Bateman

#26 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I always thought it was showing the disparity between someone who was jealous (Neil looking glum in black and white) and the person they are jealous of (Chris looking chipper in colour).

Elbagarpie

#27 Post by Elbagarpie »

What happened to this thread? Where are numbers 4 - 1? I was eight when Behaviour was released and actually received the album as a Christmas present in 1999. Aged 16 it had a similar impact on me, then, this coming-of-age, already grown and looking-back piece of lyrical and instrumental genius. My favourite track of the time, This Must Be the Place I Waited Years to leave harmonised with the end of some difficult private school years and quite a lonely entry into sixth form some four months previously. That eighties-are-over crescendo introduction ploughed me into the new Millennium and was on my CD player until the Spring. Nor though did I want to belong. I've been nostalgic since I was twelve. These days, it's mostly for music and a world grown old around me. These days, Being Boring is my committal. Only I look back to this turn of the Millennium era. I made many friends on a version of this forum long ago and am happily connected with most of them still. My line to them lately was that we had survived. But the dreams of the faded photographs seem absent.

OakeyDokey

#28 Post by OakeyDokey »

Tis the crunchy leaf mould season of decay for Behaviour and high time for Drico to regale us of further tales from Ireland in the early 90s as we finally countdown from 4 to 1 on his Behaviour Era chart....

joe stalin

#29 Post by joe stalin »

Funnily enough I’ve been revisiting behaviour recently. Triggered partly by my fascination and awe of the blade remix of ‘to face the truth’ which i feel takes the track to whole new levels of beauty. The last 45 seconds deserve a track entry all on their own.

On top of that, I’ve been wondering why they haven’t worked with AF since Behaviour. AF speaks very fondly of the experience and there’s nothing from N&C to suggest anything otherwise from them.

The production on Behaviour is lush, spacious, rich and warming. An autumnal album which is very apt at this time. It’s less electronic than the Stuart Price output but in a way that’s not so bad.

In my wildest dreams I wish the next album to be produced by the same team that produced ‘Violator’… but I suspect that’s never going to happen. I’m not sure another Trevor Horn album would give us anything new. However a Behaviour 2 wouldn’t be so bad.

Perhaps they could call it ‘strange behaviour indeed’ ;-)

OakeyDokey

#30 Post by OakeyDokey »

Violator was on heavy rotation with the boys in the lead-up to recording Behaviour.