Are we content ?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Tom Angel

Re: Are we content ?

#46 Post by Tom Angel » Thu 16 Aug 2018, 9:57 am

My vote is still on Ewan Pearson ..
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

minimal

#47 Post by minimal » Sat 18 Aug 2018, 10:07 am

In my humble opinion as well as in my dreams PSB should leave Berlin for a while and move to Cologne. The so-called Cologne-scene with all it's up and coming artists (Lunas, Huyghend, Akwuar etc.) and now established acts (Xul Zolar, Vimes, Roosevelt, Coma etc.) is at it's peak right now and way more influential as, say, the Berlin scene. I'd love to see Coma or (inclusive or) Roosevelt producing a follow-up PSB record. I'm sure it would result in revitalised creative energy and great output. Coma and Roosevelt are both musicians and producers and create awesome electronic pop music. I'd be totally hooked if that happened. :) Roosevelt is connected with Greco Roman and Coma are signed to Kompakt. I'm sure both Neil an Chris took notice of said artists.

m+

canveyboy

#48 Post by canveyboy » Sun 19 Aug 2018, 11:26 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Sat 11 Aug 2018, 12:56 am
Greetings,

Having just discovered (excuse the pun) Electric Light Orchestra's "Discovery" album this week, and having felt compelled to listen to it on repeat, I'm actually all in favour of Jeff Lynne producing a Pet Shop Boys album.

"Discovery" is a great album, and actually reminds me a lot of a Pet Shop Boys album... a killer opening and closing track, a creative use of electronics, well-crafted pop songs in a mix of different styles and tempos, yet incredibly cohesive as an end-to-end listen etc.

Retro. :)
Hey Retro,

I’ve been an ELO fan now for a good 20+ years. Discovery is a good album but if you don’t know it already the ‘Out of the Blue’ should be checked out. It was a double album released in 1977 and was an absolutely groundbreaking release. So many classics, literally every track is huge, Mr Blue Sky, Turn to stone, It’s over, Steppin out, Wild West hero, Standing in the rain, Sweet talkin’ woman, Summer and lightning, Sweet is the night....it is without doubt, the best orchestral pop album ever. A defining record. If anyone is reading this having never heard this album before then buy it, download it or stream it now. If you love sweeping, orchestral, guitar pop then you need this album in your life. I was 5 years old when Mr Blue Sky was released as a single so I grew up with ELO and soon discovered this album in my young adult life. A classic in every sense of the word.
Its taken me all of my life to find you

Hillbilly

#49 Post by Hillbilly » Sun 19 Aug 2018, 8:13 pm

I am content even if their next album will be their last! At least we can expect one more album, which is very satisfying in itself. Everything must come to an end, and to be honest PSB have been around long enough to call it a day. I wouldn't blame them if they choose that way.

Ghost within this house

#50 Post by Ghost within this house » Mon 20 Aug 2018, 12:38 am

Quite frankly, it is an unexpected pleasure to be contemplating 12 months of delicious anticipation ahead of a new album, and far more than we could have hoped for when Bilingual, Nightlife or Release came out. Those albums felt like a tailing off of the whole project, so their rebirth through Fundamental and Yes, surely their strongest later/middle period albums, is a truly wonderful thing. If Elysium was a staged death, their afterlife is like a garish pastiche; I have enjoyed the Price albums - or, rather, some moments from them.

So, in terms of the bigger picture, we are a thoroughly spoilt fan base with no reason to be anything other than content with the existing canon.

As a thoroughly spoilt fan, if I may venture to express a preference, while I enjoy theatrical Pet Shop Boys, and club Pet Shop Boys with all the production sheen, the Pet Shop Boys I love most is DARK. I sincerely hope that Price's final fling is dark / Italo / perhaps a little more mid-tempo while adhering to the pure electronic blueprint. Sinister songs with a political edge would be great.

If Neil really did say recently that they have 22 songs demo-ed, and if the hints in the last recording diary are to be believed (e.g. the songs 'The one I want' and 'Method in your madness' being on "the next pop album"), then I'd like to think we might get two more albums from them before Pet Shop Boys ends.

I just hope that the third Stuart Price album is not followed by yet-another-banging-lasers-three-year-tour, because I'd love to see them channel their resources into a sustained period of recording.

So: Price 3rd album in 2019, and a final fully fledged and serious/exhilarating pop album - a definitive late-period artistic statement - in 2021.

With thanks from an over-entitled and thoroughly spoilt fan!
Gunpoint has a firm voice

retrofuturist

#51 Post by retrofuturist » Mon 20 Aug 2018, 12:43 am

Greetings,
Ghost within this house wrote:
Mon 20 Aug 2018, 12:38 am
I just hope that the third Stuart Price album is not followed by yet-another-banging-lasers-three-year-tour, because I'd love to see them channel their resources into a sustained period of recording.
+1

Or retiring if they'd rather.

I think by this stage, no matter where fans live, everyone who desperately wanted to see them live has had a chance to see them perform at least once, and often many times.

Kevinthehorse

#52 Post by Kevinthehorse » Mon 20 Aug 2018, 8:45 am

Even if the boys do retire as performing and recording artists as Pet Shop Boys, I'd like to think they could continue as songwriters for other artists. I seem to recall that back in the "Literally" book all those years ago they jokingly suggested that one day they'd create a "Pet Shop Boys: Next Generation" performing duo while they stayed in the background writing the music!

Ghost within this house

#53 Post by Ghost within this house » Mon 20 Aug 2018, 9:08 am

Or even a swansong tour, but only after the next 'pop' album...
Gunpoint has a firm voice

One of the crowd

#54 Post by One of the crowd » Mon 20 Aug 2018, 12:04 pm

canveyboy wrote:
Sun 19 Aug 2018, 11:26 am
retrofuturist wrote:
Sat 11 Aug 2018, 12:56 am
Greetings,

Having just discovered (excuse the pun) Electric Light Orchestra's "Discovery" album this week, and having felt compelled to listen to it on repeat, I'm actually all in favour of Jeff Lynne producing a Pet Shop Boys album.

"Discovery" is a great album, and actually reminds me a lot of a Pet Shop Boys album... a killer opening and closing track, a creative use of electronics, well-crafted pop songs in a mix of different styles and tempos, yet incredibly cohesive as an end-to-end listen etc.

Hey Retro,

I’ve been an ELO fan now for a good 20+ years. Discovery is a good album but if you don’t know it already the ‘Out of the Blue’ should be checked out. It was a double album released in 1977 and was an absolutely groundbreaking release. So many classics, literally every track is huge, Mr Blue Sky, Turn to stone, It’s over, Steppin out, Wild West hero, Standing in the rain, Sweet talkin’ woman, Summer and lightning, Sweet is the night....it is without doubt, the best orchestral pop album ever. A defining record. If anyone is reading this having never heard this album before then buy it, download it or stream it now. If you love sweeping, orchestral, guitar pop then you need this album in your life. I was 5 years old when Mr Blue Sky was released as a single so I grew up with ELO and soon discovered this album in my young adult life. A classic in every sense of the word.
I was also 5 when this album came out and my parents had, and still have, the original double vinyl.

Even at that age I fell in love with "The Whale".

When I had my first record player (Must have been about 8 ) I used to sneak the album into my room, make a den and chill out on the floor listening to it.

I also remember my Granddad playing the Midnight Express soundtrack and The Chase. He was also into Jarre, Kraftwerk, Donna Summer :D
Fishing

Shopper

#55 Post by Shopper » Mon 20 Aug 2018, 2:43 pm

PSB cannot retire, esp after they delivered Electric and Super and proved they still had it in them!

If not full length albums...i'd be happy, if they moved into creating soundtracks, special singles etc
I was born in a hospital room with green walls, the doctor who delivered me wore a green overall, so did the nurses hovering around. So much greenery around, its no wonder that it is my favourite colour !

My Blog
On Facebook

SynthMan Wales

#56 Post by SynthMan Wales » Mon 20 Aug 2018, 3:13 pm

Ghost within this house wrote:
Mon 20 Aug 2018, 12:38 am
As a thoroughly spoilt fan, if I may venture to express a preference, while I enjoy theatrical Pet Shop Boys, and club Pet Shop Boys with all the production sheen, the Pet Shop Boys I love most is DARK. I sincerely hope that Price's final fling is dark / Italo / perhaps a little more mid-tempo while adhering to the pure electronic blueprint. Sinister songs with a political edge would be great.
+1 from me.

This sounds like the perfect PSB album as far as this fan is concerned.

jrusher12

#57 Post by jrusher12 » Mon 20 Aug 2018, 7:50 pm

True fans will never be content. We always want more. Look at the interest that two new ABBA songs generated,and they're not even going to be heard until, I think, the end of the year. I think N&C will continue for some time. Not wishing to regurgitate an old debate, who's to say what the next album will sound like? Doesn't have to be a Super style album, Price could easily produce a Behaviour style or equally a Very sounding album. What matters is that creatively they have lots left to produce. Yes they may make more, perhaps, instrumental, film music type albums. Who knows? All I want is more from them, because even their worst is better than other's best.

Marie loves PSB

#58 Post by Marie loves PSB » Wed 22 Aug 2018, 5:08 pm

Please make me even more contented by finally bringing out a Pet Shop Boys calendar! When I was young I waited every year for one. lol... :pray:

tottenhammattspurs

#59 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Wed 22 Aug 2018, 6:42 pm

Marie loves PSB wrote:
Wed 22 Aug 2018, 5:08 pm
Please make me even more contented by finally bringing out a Pet Shop Boys calendar! When I was young I waited every year for one. lol... :pray:
There’s only ever been one. 1987. Full of pictures from the Please era including a fantastic McDonalds eating one!
Attachments
18653624-69A9-465C-B379-59671D86DF88.jpeg
18653624-69A9-465C-B379-59671D86DF88.jpeg (27.58 KiB) Viewed 783 times
is is and isnt isnt

Pod

#60 Post by Pod » Wed 22 Aug 2018, 6:51 pm

Still got mine from 1987. Here’s April’s classic photo:
Attachments
070BFC2A-BAE7-4753-B45B-BA81936F8843.jpeg
070BFC2A-BAE7-4753-B45B-BA81936F8843.jpeg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 779 times
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.