Jean-Michel Jarre & Pet Shop Boys - Brick England/Electronica 2

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
rollo

Re: Jean-Michel Jarre & Pet Shop Boys - Brick England/Electronica 2

#256 Post by rollo »

This is the first song I've heard in a long time that I just want to play on constant repeat! So good...
Check out my new music blog...
http://musicforstowaways.wordpress.com/

Zog

#257 Post by Zog »

joe stalin wrote:
East End Bhoy wrote:Just bought Brick England, love how raw and dark it is. It's one of those songs I feel sounds better the louder it is
What's this? 30 yrs in & more shivers down the spine stuff! whoo hoo
I agree.

Also, it's funny that the reviews today dismiss brick England as typically anthemic as if it's some kind of discount shop offering. It's the sort of thing that David guetta would go to number 1 with around the world. Shame it will probably never even make it to a single release. I'd love to hear an extended version
Here's a famous true story about critics (and I do mean true):

The German composer Max Reger, wrote this letter to a critic who was constantly panning his works:

Dear Sir,

I am sitting in the smallest room of my house, with your review in front of me. It will soon be behind me."

Sincerely,
Max Reger

(FYI , Reger is largely known for his organ and chamber music, from the late Victorian era)

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

Pod

#258 Post by Pod »

joe stalin wrote:
Pod wrote:Brick England is very good - no doubt about it. However, I don't think it's as outstanding as some are making out in my humble opinion.
In the land of the blind
The one eyed man is king
Honesty is the best policy...
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

PopArt

#259 Post by PopArt »

I must say I am really loving this track. I just listened to it walking from Shoreditch to the City (via Brick Lane). I hope their next album follows in this vein. Moody electronic tracks. Brilliant. So atmospheric.
I'm always waiting...

miserabalism

#260 Post by miserabalism »

Fantastic track, I prefer it to anything on Super. I'd love the next PSB album to have this sort of tone.

Yoofaloof

#261 Post by Yoofaloof »

More super than Super.
...I smell youth, vintage youth.

chrissyboy

#262 Post by chrissyboy »

Somehow Brick England reminds me of Fundamental. Which is a very good thing indeed.

BoyStrange

#263 Post by BoyStrange »

Will it reach the top 20-list of Geowayne's Rating Project?

alig

#264 Post by alig »

It passes the time but no way is this better than any tracks on SUPER.
"John 3:16."

Hillbilly

#265 Post by Hillbilly »

JJ Naas wrote:I'm an old Jarre fan as well, his were among the first albums besides PSB I ever owned. I like this Electronica 2 much more than Electronica 1. I feel the mood is lighter and more mellow.. which suits me. Brick England keeps on growing on me. First I didn't much like the "out of the ground, of the ground" -repeats, but now those bits work as well, merging seamlessly into the structure of the song. Other favourites: Jarre's solo tracks, the Yello track and the Cyndi Lauper one.
I've given Electronica 2 a few spins, and so far I think it's a bit stronger than the first volume, which I also liked much. The Cyndi Lauper track is indeed a stand-out, but what is her connection with electronic music?

Butters

#266 Post by Butters »

Zog wrote: Here's what I mean by that: "Super" is typical of good PSB albums: in the fact that it rewards the listener more on repeated listenings. In fact the fascinating quality that many PSB albums/tracks have is that often, more details and beauty often only become more obvious upon having the album after a few weeks. For this is the essence of the PSB. As another fan once mentioned to me "Even if you don't listen to them daily, you never seem to get sick of them". How true. And the PSB are the only pop/electronica group that I can say this about too. In this respect they have this in common with much good "classical music". All great music reveals different aspects of itself even when heard often. Why have Bach and Mozart (for two) survived the test of time? This may, at first seem a silly question, but pause for a sec and consider it. Why do people listen to Mozart's 40th symphony in g minor for the umpteenth time (check it out on YouTube, you'll recognize it)?
Couldn't agree more. You just brought me back 25 years to when I as a kid wrote an essay about my love for music. About how the details reveal themselves after repeat listening. I didn't mention any genre or artist, but off course my teacher loved it as she thought it was about classical music and not a" throw-away" pop band such as Pet Shop Boys. (Which it was).
Just tax the stupid people!

No Muscle Mary

#267 Post by No Muscle Mary »

I see from the official site that Brick England lyrics are partly-based on Hard Times by Charles Dickens. I had been scratching my head, knowing it reminded me of something in my distant memory. I studied the book for my school English literature exams at 15.

This is from Charles Dickens description of Smoketown in the book:

It was a town of red brick, or of brick that would have been red if the smoke and ashes had allowed it; but as matters stood, it was a town of unnatural red and black like the painted face of a savage. It was a town of machinery and tall chimneys, out of which interminable serpents of smoke trailed themselves for ever and ever, and never got uncoiled.
Churlicious

Hillbilly

#268 Post by Hillbilly »

Yet another proof reading mistake... In the lyrics section on the new website it's got the title "Brick England released today"!
http://www.petshopboys.co.uk/lyrics/bri ... ased-today

:lol:

leesmapman

#269 Post by leesmapman »

Jean-Michel Jarre has said that some collaborators will join him on stage during his tour. I see that when JMJ is in the Netherlands (22 nov), PSB have a break of 10 days... And 6 days after JMJ, PSB play in Tilburg... Here's hoping they'll play a tune!

No Muscle Mary

#270 Post by No Muscle Mary »

Hmmm... If they play UK dates in October, JMJ will be in our neck of the woods then too.
Churlicious