North America Promotion, Press, and Reviews Thread

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
jaydc2

Re: North America Promotion, Press, and Reviews Thread

#46 Post by jaydc2 »

New CD from Pet Shop Boys worth saying ‘Yes’ to
Latest album from British pop-group proves pleasurable

"Every track is a new candy, fresh from the box and ready to be unwrapped. One track blends into the next, yet each delivers a distinctly new breath of sticky-sweet British electropop. Neil Tennant croons to the masses with his baby’s breath vocals, and keyboardist Chris Lowe keeps things fresh with ever-changing sounds. One minute has you hopping around to a deep bass thump or a marimba galloping up and down the scale, and the next has you breaking out your slow-mo for a solemn, Arabian-sounding strings procession. All of this is consistently backed up by a somewhat phony, poppy backbeat."

http://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2009/04 ... t_shop.php

jaydc2

#47 Post by jaydc2 »

Sound Check: Pair of '80s bands confront present

Jesse DeLeon
Special to the Caller-Times
Friday, May 1, 2009

"The Pet Shop Boys inconspicuously return with “Yes, Pet Shop Boys” (Astralwerks). “On your mark/You’ll get over it,” Neil Tennant wryly intones on “Legacy,” perhaps covertly referring to his career thus far. That nearly self-effacing, cooler-than-cool attitude also makes the engaging “Vulnerable” and the steady “More Than A Dream” sound like whipped up, aural desserts."

http://www.caller.com/news/2009/may/01/ ... t-present/

jaydc2

#48 Post by jaydc2 »

Chart Beat
The latest news in the world of Billboard's definitive sales and airplay charts.

THE BOYS ARE BACK, PART 1: Coincidentally, another act long associated with hooky, danceable modern rock posts its highest-charting album since 1993. Pet Shop Boys' "Yes" starts at No. 32 on the Billboard 200, granting the U.K. duo its best rank since "Very" debuted and peaked at No. 20 on the chart dated Oct. 23, 1993.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/chart_be ... 2075346275

maxboyd

#49 Post by maxboyd »

I hope all the moderate press they've received doesn't stop them from bring their tour to USA / North America this winter.
Se A Vida E
USA Pethead
You don't have to be in Who's Who to know What's What!

Palpatine

#50 Post by Palpatine »

maxboyd wrote:I hope all the moderate press they've received doesn't stop them from bring their tour to USA / North America this winter.
I'm really worried that PSB will cancel the North American leg of their tour because of a few lukewarm reviews.

maxboyd

#51 Post by maxboyd »

Palpatine wrote:
maxboyd wrote:I hope all the moderate press they've received doesn't stop them from bring their tour to USA / North America this winter.
I'm really worried that PSB will cancel the North American leg of their tour because of a few lukewarm reviews.
Me too but we have to have faith. I think the marketing folks at EMI are underestimating their appeal here.
Se A Vida E
USA Pethead

psbfannyc

#52 Post by psbfannyc »

From Twitter, today, Wednesday, May 6, 2009:

"petshopboys: Off to a meeting about an American tour."

maxboyd wrote:
Palpatine wrote:
Me too but we have to have faith. I think the marketing folks at EMI are underestimating their appeal here.

maxboyd

#53 Post by maxboyd »

psbfannyc wrote:From Twitter, today, Wednesday, May 6, 2009:
"petshopboys: Off to a meeting about an American tour."
Hey PSBFANNYC: Thanks for the tweeter update. That's encouraging news. I need to update my tickmaster live nation alerters.
Se A Vida E
USA Pethead

jaydc2

#54 Post by jaydc2 »

CD Review: Pet Shop Boys, 'Yes'
In Utah This Week
Ryan Michael Painter

The result isn't nearly as experimental as "Fundamental," but is equally as engaging and will likely appease those who felt that "Fundamental" suffered because it lacked the lush arrangements that had become the group's hallmark. Of the 11 tracks, only "Legacy" underwhelms, with "Did You See Me Coming" and "Pandemonium" poised to become club standards and "Vulnerable" the sleeper hit.

Full article: http://www.inthisweek.com/view.php?id=390763

Palpatine

#55 Post by Palpatine »

jaydc2 wrote:CD Review: Pet Shop Boys, 'Yes'
In Utah This Week
Ryan Michael Painter

The result isn't nearly as experimental as "Fundamental," but is equally as engaging and will likely appease those who felt that "Fundamental" suffered because it lacked the lush arrangements that had become the group's hallmark. Of the 11 tracks, only "Legacy" underwhelms, with "Did You See Me Coming" and "Pandemonium" poised to become club standards and "Vulnerable" the sleeper hit.

Full article: http://www.inthisweek.com/view.php?id=390763
Thanks for the link. It's a nice review, but it's interesting how many things the author gets wrong in just a few paragraphs. Fundamental "lacked lush arrangements"? Fundamental had a "minimal-electro sound"? The comparison to Bilingual is apt, but only King of Rome sounds like Behaviour, etc, etc.

boyjohn

#56 Post by boyjohn »

The US iTunes PSB main page has been updated, quite an improvement.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

NJTom

#57 Post by NJTom »

as always, just in time to sell an extra 3 albums.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Half my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair."

maxboyd

#58 Post by maxboyd »

boyjohn wrote:The US iTunes PSB main page has been updated, quite an improvement.
Thanks for headzup
Se A Vida E
USA Pethead