The Sodom and Gomorrah Show

All Community forum polls and results.

The Sodom and Gomorrah Show, try to guess the chart postion being first single from Fundamental

Number 1
No votes
Top 3
3%
Top 5
3%
Top 10
50%
Top 20
29%
Top 50
16%

Total votes: 38

Nickname

The Sodom and Gomorrah Show

#1 Post by Nickname »

It never was released but it was going to be the first single from Fundamental. I don't know why BBC wanted to censure the track. The song was played on BBC's Radio 2 twice. IMHO, it could have been a real hit.

Listen here the single version of it:

At the end "I'm with stupid" was #8 but I think PSB missed a big chance of having really good chart positions with many Fundamental tracks (with single potential).

For me:

First single - The Sodom and Gomorrah Show
Second single - Integral (álbum versión)
Third single - I'm with stupid
Fourd single - Minimal/Numb (double A single)

tottenhammattspurs

Re: The Sodom and Gomorrah Show

#2 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

I think by this point in their career, no matter what they released, it wouldn't have made any difference. Stupid went top 10 on the back of a 7", a cd single, a dvd single and a TOTP appearence. Sodom would have had the same release treatment. Second single (Minimal), had the same physical release (7", cd, dvd) but by this time TOTPs was no more and it barely troubled the top 30. Numb was a strange choice for a third single, but by that time anything could have been released from the album and it still wouldn't have set the world alight so might as well waste a crap song with a premade video (No Time For Tears) that fits it.
is is and isnt isnt

Nickname

#3 Post by Nickname »

tottenhammattspurs wrote:I think by this point in their career, no matter what they released, it wouldn't have made any difference. Stupid went top 10 on the back of a 7", a cd single, a dvd single and a TOTP appearence. Sodom would have had the same release treatment. Second single (Minimal), had the same physical release (7", cd, dvd) but by this time TOTPs was no more and it barely troubled the top 30. Numb was a strange choice for a third single, but by that time anything could have been released from the album and it still wouldn't have set the world alight so might as well waste a crap song with a premade video (No Time For Tears) that fits it.
Well, some people wil say it was because of "Little Britain" but I think "I'm with stupid" got the top 10 because of itself so I think TSAGS that I think is better than I'm with stupid could make it better. A top 5 hit maybe.

ZiggyPSB

#4 Post by ZiggyPSB »

The controversy surrounding the word Sodom might have generated interested but we'll never know for sure.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Ghost within this house

#5 Post by Ghost within this house »

It would have sold the same number as I'm with stupid, or slightly less. Or slightly more. But not much more.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

MikeyC

#6 Post by MikeyC »

Didn't they originally announce that "Minimal" was going to be the first single?

Old Soak

#7 Post by Old Soak »

Why do the only options assume it would be a Top 50 hit? I don't think it had any single potential and would have flopped. Not saying it's a bad track, just never a single.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Danimal

#8 Post by Danimal »

I'm With Stupid and Minimal were the right flagship single choices. At this point in their career any track off the album could have been the third.

raggatwin

#9 Post by raggatwin »

Most definitely not a single, blatant album track, remix is good though.
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

One of the crowd

#10 Post by One of the crowd »

raggatwin wrote:Most definitely not a single, blatant album track, remix is good though.
Which one?
Did Zoe Ball let something slip today? (31:01:24)

raggatwin

#11 Post by raggatwin »

One of the crowd wrote:
raggatwin wrote:Most definitely not a single, blatant album track, remix is good though.
Which one?
the one on Fundamentalism
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

minimal

#12 Post by minimal »

Doesn't make any difference which song they release as single these days; minor hits like Love etc. are an exception to the rule. At lease in my humble opinion Sodom does not have any single potential at all. I don't see this getting any airplay. Fundamental only works as an album for me. There were not and still are not any singles on the album. Honestly, by the time it was released I considered it their weakest album and to some degree it still is. It's a grower but I'd prefer any other record over Fundamental and this includes Disco 2 and 4.

m+

retrofuturist

#13 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
MikeyC wrote:Didn't they originally announce that "Minimal" was going to be the first single?
Yes... and a better song it is than both I'm With Stupid and The Sodom & Gomorrah Show.

Retro. :)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

One of the crowd

#14 Post by One of the crowd »

MikeyC wrote:Didn't they originally announce that "Minimal" was going to be the first single?
05 December 2005

New album title and release

Pet Shop Boys' new album is called "Fundamental" and has a provisional release date of April 17, 2006, on Parlophone Records. It will be preceded by a new single, "Minimal".
Further details about the album can be found in the news item below.
Did Zoe Ball let something slip today? (31:01:24)

Nickname

#15 Post by Nickname »

One of the crowd wrote:
05 December 2005

New album title and release

Pet Shop Boys' new album is called "Fundamental" and has a provisional release date of April 17, 2006, on Parlophone Records. It will be preceded by a new single, "Minimal".
Further details about the album can be found in the news item below.
Maybe in a very first time they wanted "Minimal" like first single but they changed their minds.

IMHO, "Minimal" is not as good track as being first single, it reminds a bit to "Shopping" which is not single material.

http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/fundamental/sodom.htm

Incidentally, Chris and Neil wanted to release this as the first single from the album—an idea that their record company vetoed immediately and absolutely. It was felt that radio and television would refuse to air a song with "Sodom" in the title. The Boys scoff at this, noting that much more "offensive" words and concepts are broadcast all the time. And, besides, if the song were banned, might not that have boosted sales? After all, the history of pop music (particularly in the U.K.) is replete with examples of songs that became huge hits despite such bans—and in some cases largely because of them.