Do you think the crowd is enthusiastic with no hits?

All Community forum polls and results.

When PSB play live, do you think the crowd is enthusiastic with the non famous songs?

Yes
38%
No. Sadly, people only get crazy with the hits
63%

Total votes: 24

Nickname

Do you think the crowd is enthusiastic with no hits?

#1 Post by Nickname »

http://nativemonster.com/music/review-p ... s-lg-arena

According to the review of LG Arena concert:
"And while the new songs and B-sides may have failed to get the heart beating, smash hits like It’s A Sin, Domino Dancing and Always Dancing certainly did",
"The songs kept coming, but there was a sense the crowd was waiting for the big hits, no matter how hard the duo tried to promote their new album Electic", "Suburbia was the first, and how did the crowd go wild".

ZiggyPSB

Re: Do you think the crowd is enthusiastic with no hits?

#2 Post by ZiggyPSB »

Well that portion of the crowd can suck it. Pet Shop Boys are not a greatest hits band.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

CroMagnon

#3 Post by CroMagnon »

Your perspective on this would probably depend on whereabouts in the crowd you were. Right at the front, with the hardcore fans, it certainly wasn't the case, although I was stood next to three ladies, all wearing PSB T-shirts, who clearly didn't know any PSB song from after 1990 ...

Of the more recent songs, some are very easy to latch onto for the 'Discography' crowd - 'Thursday' being the obvious one - and others are less so.

The show was absolutely incredible, but I think it needs a couple of slower, beautiful, but well known moments - a 'King's Cross" perhaps, or Dreaming of the Queen. It felt a bit relentlessly one-paced to me. Even Rent is given a harder electro feel.
Love comes quickly, but is a catastrophe and a bourgeois construct etc.

Nickname

#4 Post by Nickname »

I think many people miss "Left to my own devices" in musical terms is a higlight of PSB's career mixed with "Somewhere" would be fine.

I don't think many people can appreciate the "Electric Tour" version of "I get excited". In my opinion it is not a particulary interesting part of the show (I love the visual thing of it with the courtain but the song goes nowhere).

On the other way, the inclusion of "Being Boring" is really nice in the middle of the storm.

karnsculpture

#5 Post by karnsculpture »

I don't really see this as a problem, all live acts expect a bigger response to certain songs no matter who they are. I think the group manage a good balance. My only criticism - and this applies to most acts now who depend on pre-programmed synths and lighting - is that the set remans the same pretty much throughout a tour.

agent doris

#6 Post by agent doris »

I was trying to get Neil to add 'In the night' last night. Not sure I sold it to him!

Nightlife

#7 Post by Nightlife »

agent doris wrote:I was trying to get Neil to add 'In the night' last night. Not sure I sold it to him!

Ah yes but did he say that it was intended for the Pandemonium tour? I couldn't remember what he said now?
You don't have to be beautiful, but it helps!

Nightlife

#9 Post by Nightlife »

agent doris wrote:No, performance.

That far back - really?

It was Chris that said no?
You don't have to be beautiful, but it helps!

grantwww

#10 Post by grantwww »

I was surprised in Sydney that many of the non-hits were getting a great reaction. Naturally West End girls got the most reaction but it was still nice to see the crowd reacting to the other songs. Absolutely Fabulous was played at the end of the last Sydney show (but not performed) and that got a great reaction too but that was a big hit here in Australia.

Danger

#11 Post by Danger »

For every concert the large part of peole goes there only for the hits, only the die hard go crazy for bsides or album tracks.

Bjossi

#12 Post by Bjossi »

People don't only go to these shows for the songs, they also go for the atmosphere, the visuals... Even if people don't know some songs, that isn't a reason to not go crazy over them if they really like them. The first listen is actually the most exciting one, the song sounds fresh and the melody captures you completely, whereas after many listens the song becomes familiar and it just doesn't "sound the same" anymore even though it hasn't actually change. And what a first listen it would be, if you hear it in a big room with great acoustics, with an energetic crowd around you. Sure you can't sing along so easily but your mind will still be all "how awesome is this song!?". :P

jules

#13 Post by jules »

That's the problem. A big majority of fans want them to play the hits, and it seems impossible to miss them. That's why most of the show is boring, because it's always the same old sound, psb don't change the version anymore. There's a lot of songs that deserve to be play live, but the hits seem like a prisonner's chain. We are lucky that psb still do new album, and still try them live. Make me think to invisible, that a lot of people didn't appreciate in the show, so they removed it.

Nickname

#14 Post by Nickname »

Another problem is the new songs don't sound so anthemic/stomper/banging/filmic/epic like the old ones. The last PSB song that sounded a bit like that was "All over the world".

It's obvious general public appreciate much more the uptempo and epic songs from PSB than the slow songs. Back to the old days, none of the PSB's slow songs has been a hit. When they released a slow song after a bit hit, that song didn't reach a good chart position (ex: Westend Girls - Love comes quickly).

In my opinion, the only downtempo song with potential to be a hit was "King's Cross".

I'm a big fan of PSB and I follow all their steps but I understand why people appreciate the old songs. Because these songs are better.

Bjossi

#15 Post by Bjossi »

I have never seen them live but the live versions I have heard from the professional recordings or leaks have sounded... underwhelming to me. Always on My Mind for instances, has such powerful beats and sounds in the single and extended mixes but its live versions generally have these dull, powerless beats that just leave me cold. I'm sure it sounds much better live with the big ass speakers and whatnot, but then I can only imagine how intense the experience would be if the underlying track was powerful as well.