34%
2. "Electric".
66%

Total votes: 59

Drem

Re: "Elysium" or "Electric"?

#16 Post by Drem »

"Elysium", of course.

Each time I run into someone's else's laments like "why, oh why they released THIS?" I feel myself sad and less sympathetic for the so called "fans right from beginning!". I can understand the hatred towards "Release" but not that degree of superficiality.

Personally am I fine with its tracklist, but in my dreamy edition of it there would be no "Hold on" and "Everything means something", as they swapped their positions to "Listening" and "One night", respectively.
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

Rhonda

#17 Post by Rhonda »

Elysium. I asume it's very irregular, but I love some of their songs better than any in Electric. Give it a Go makes me cry.

montego200x

#18 Post by montego200x »

Electric all day, every day. I think Elysium is beautiful from a musical standpoint, but it has some borderline cringe-y lyrics at times (and normally I find Neil's lyrics to be very clever). I think it's telling that they released a full instrumentals disc in the special edition. Electric is just EVERYTHING. It's like Neil and Chris woke up from whatever fog they were in when they made Elysium, fully rejuvenated.

panda magic

#19 Post by panda magic »

I voted for Electric even though it isn't without its problems (Bolshy can try my patience with its repetition, Shouting in the Evening gets skipped over most of the time, and Thursday has those perplexingly quiet vocals in the verses.) Elysium is just too tainted by several weak tracks to win this poll. There's been numerous suggestions here on how the album could have been improved, but for me I would have swapped out "your early stuff" for "listening" and the album mix of "winner" for the happy/sad mix (which seems to be their preferred mix for live shows anyway.) I actually don't have a huge problem with "ego music" though like "your early stuff" I find that the premise wears a bit thin by the end, even for such a short song, and the cattiness is a bit unflattering (I would expect they'd be above going after such easy targets at their age) so it would have made more sense as a b-side with (perhaps) a fully produced version of the gorgeous "in slow motion" replacing it on the album. Had they sequenced the album this way it would have been one of the best post-imperial phase PSB albums.