The "Electric" Survivor Challenge - Round 1

All Community forum polls and results.

What are your TWO least favourite tracks?

Poll ended at Tue 12 Nov 2013, 7:07 pm

Axis
3%
Bolshy
21%
Love is a bourgeois construct
7%
Fluorescent
6%
Inside a dream
11%
The last to die
14%
Shouting in the evening
26%
Thursday
4%
Vocal
8%

Total votes: 138

Lleonard Pler

Re: The "Electric" Survivor Challenge - Round 1

#16 Post by Lleonard Pler »

This will be a hard one, as it's a perfect album for me.

I voted for Inside a dream and Shouting even though they're great tracks.

agent doris

#17 Post by agent doris »

Bolshy and Inside a dream although I actually quite like both!

Bjossi

#18 Post by Bjossi »

Judging by this first round so far, Axis and Thursday are the best tracks on the album, and Axis definitely is one of my two favourite tracks. This has a chance to be the first elimination game which results I actually agree with, haha.

retrofuturist

#19 Post by retrofuturist »

To go: "Shouting In The Evening" and "Inside A Dream"

Will be sad to see Bolshy go so early... it's my favourite "album track" (i.e. non-single) off Electric.

P.S. Axis for the win!!! 8)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

Bjossi

#20 Post by Bjossi »

I like Bolshy's first 2 minutes but it just doesn't really go anywhere after that. It's like an extended mix that had its second half chopped off, after the 2:40 mark there comes a whole 2 minute section of the same few samples repeated over and over again and then uses less than a minute to quickly return to the main hook and end the song. The bit with Neil talking and the Russian person translating his words had so much more potential plus the "give me a sign, give me a smile..." part. Overall I think it's all right but a bit of a mess.

Take Being Boring extended mix for a comparison. It has a start, long middle instrumental and an end. The difference is that it had both longer start and end bits and used its strengths more extensively, while Bolshy had a relatively short start, a barely existing end and didn't use its strengths to the full potential.

Give Bolshy a slightly longer start, cut the middle section in half, make more use of the Russian voice and Neil's vocals throughout the track as well as the melody powering the "Give me a sign, give me a smile..." lines, extend the end bit by a minute and there is a Bolshy I could totally blast into my headphones.

Just my personal observations.

lucienchardon

#21 Post by lucienchardon »

I like every track on Electric. The three I probably like least are Bolshy, Thursday and Vocal. On this round I voted for Bolshy and Thursday.

After a few months of listening to the album Axis has grown a lot on me and is now my favorite track on the album along with Construct.

ZiggyPSB

#22 Post by ZiggyPSB »

What I'm concerned is that this whole challenge could end with Electric being the third album in a row after Yes and Elysium where track 1 is the overall strongest link.

Here's an idea for the iTunes review, "make track 1 a 30-second silent Easter Egg", that way it couldn't win.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017