PSB and their singles chart future

All Community forum polls and results.

Who seriously cares about PSB having another UK singles chart hit?

Yes, I care. I want them to release the most commercial single and get a chart hit to show everyone else how its done.
27%
No, I don't care. As long as PSB are content to releasing singles with bonuses I'm happy enough.
73%

Total votes: 45

ZiggyPSB

PSB and their singles chart future

#1 Post by ZiggyPSB »

Over the last few months I'm convinced more and more people are joining the "commercial effect" club hoping for PSB to have another singles chart hit like it was in the mid 2000s. "Thursday this, Thursday that, Love is a bourgeois construct? Are you kidding? It'll kill all their chances". I want to gauge just how many are in this club and how many are content so long as PSB keep going as they always have with albums and singles with bonuses.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

michael888

Re: PSB and their singles chart future

#2 Post by michael888 »

Chart data show us who the music favour the people.
A small voice of calm and reason.

Undertaker

#3 Post by Undertaker »

I think there should be a third option really.

I'd love them to have another hit but i'd not want them to release any old shit because it's got some guy swearing on it, filming a lass with big tits in a club.

They should release singles mainly for the B-Sides and they should release the best songs. That's why Bourgeois was 100% the right decision.

Riikka

#4 Post by Riikka »

I just care that they release music in the first place. Secondly, I'd like them to make music which I personally like very much. :D Luckily, they have succeeded with that with Electric.

karnsculpture

#5 Post by karnsculpture »

They're now like The Rolling Stones were from the late 80s onwards; no longer having big single hits but the albums always did well and they sold concert tickets.

It's all part of becoming a more mature artist and as the Stones can attest, with experience you control the business side much better and can make a very comfortable living, plus there's the back catalogue to exploit during band downtime.

The singles charts are dominated by the music that teenagers like, and that the general public pick up on. It's always been like this since the pop charts started.

It's all good. Pet Shop Boys are doing decent business. There's only two of them to share the profits and they have enough work coming in to keep them busy for the next few years.

Andie

#6 Post by Andie »

I voted No I don't care. Yes, it would be great if by some chance (miracle) they had a big hit. I don't think it will happen though. I'm eternally greatful that they're still making music for us, the fans. :D
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

Danimal

#7 Post by Danimal »

Karnesculpture is right on the money. I enjoy singles mainly for the bonus tracks. Singles for PSB these days are really just a niche product for the super-hardcore fanbase. They're really an albums and touring act these days. Of course it would be great to have a hit single, but that's only going to happen if:
1. One of them dies, in which case it will be West End girls
2. They announce their retirement, in which case it will be West End girls
3. They do a duets album with a bunch of "of the moment people" and have one of those songs like Santana had with the guy from Matchbox 20 years ago.
The big shift we've seen in their singles strategy with Electric reflects this: chart ineligible formats, staggered releases for the same single, inexpensive videos, last minute tracklist announcements, etc. They're basically putting out singles for the forum and perhaps mixes for club play.

PSBForTheMasses

#8 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

Danimal wrote: The big shift we've seen in their singles strategy with Electric reflects this: chart ineligible formats, staggered releases for the same single, inexpensive videos, last minute tracklist announcements, etc. They're basically putting out singles for the forum and perhaps mixes for club play.
It is cool to know that they are reading this forum and paying attention what the fans want. 8) If this is really the case, I would like to beg them: please, please come to Istanbul to do the cancelled concert, we had been so excited.:(

karnsculpture

#9 Post by karnsculpture »

I don't want to get too off-topic but I went to Istanbul at the time the concert should have happened and the media reporting of trouble on the BBC seemed way over-the-top. In fact one night my mother called in a panic as the front page of BBC News said that police were using water cannons and tear gas on a crowd near Taksim, and I was there, and the reality was the police arrested 4 people who tried to get into Gezi park and there was no drama (there were also protesters nearby but very peaceful and only a handful with an information stand, T shirts with slogans and so on). I looked at the BBC website and the photograph they used was not of the time and place written about in the article. Now I'm not a supporter of the Turkish police or government (my bf was/is a protester), but the reporting was wrong and I find it hard to trust the BBC anymore.

Bringing this back to Pet Shop Boys, I honestly think they would have been fine going ahead with the concert in Istanbul, and I hope they go back to Turkey soon. The chart placing for Electric shows there is a following.

Eldritch

#10 Post by Eldritch »

I couldn't care less. There was a time when I was worried that their sliding status as a chart act would make them irrelevant, diminish their recording budget and perhaps discourage them from making any more music. Now it has been proven that this is definitely not the case. PSB seem happier, more determined and energetic than ever, despite the fact that their last few singles have not even scraped the top 100. Suggesting things like desperate duets with lesser artists in order to break back into the charts is basically insulting Neil and Chris and everything they have achieved during the last 30 years.
Click click drone

Bjossi

#11 Post by Bjossi »

PSBForTheMasses wrote:It is cool to know that they are reading this forum and paying attention what the fans want. 8)
Wishful thinking at best. If this little drop in the ocean is the entire PSB fanbase I will be very surprised, and sad too.

Nickname

#12 Post by Nickname »

You don't mind if they have success or not but you want they can create better videos. It's difficult without money.

Eldritch

#13 Post by Eldritch »

nickname wrote:You don't mind if they have success or not but you want they can create better videos. It's difficult without money.
I know you're not referring to me, but personally I don't care about the videos either. It's a pretty redundant art form these days, if you ask me. and the problem with recent PSB videos is not really the lack of funds but the lack of ideas. If you have a great idea, you don't need a huge budget; a moderate amount of money will suffice. And if you don't have any ideas, money doesn't change that.
Click click drone

jasonjohn

#14 Post by jasonjohn »

Videos do matter.

Youtube is bigger than iTunes for music delivery.

A video does help. Don't be naive!

Eldritch

#15 Post by Eldritch »

jasonjohn wrote:Videos do matter.

Youtube is bigger than iTunes for music delivery.

A video does help. Don't be naive!
So why aren't Ok Go millionaires?
Click click drone