I think it should be a balanced album
55%

Total votes: 33

Andie

Re: Slow and mature album

#16 Post by Andie »

I'm very happy to leave it to Neil and Chris. I'm going to buy it anyway! :D

But I voted for a balanced album.
Last edited by Andie on Tue 06 Aug 2013, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

Undertaker

#17 Post by Undertaker »

You're still basing the quality of a record on the units sold. It's now time to get a serious hold on yourself.

Calling Behaviour a flop is David Icke territory. i.e utter bullshit

Hillbilly

#18 Post by Hillbilly »

I prefer "balanced" albums. The best of both worlds.

BlueSwan

#19 Post by BlueSwan »

I voted uptempo here, but I'm not looking for stompers. I'm looking for melancholy electronic stuff like Flourescent, I'm Not Scared or The Way It Used To Be.
http://www.soundcloud.com/blueswan (Blue Swan tracks, my solo tracks and remixes)

http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)

the8thark

#20 Post by the8thark »

Undertaker wrote:You're still basing the quality of a record on the units sold. It's now time to get a serious hold on yourself.
I have to agree with this. Sales numbers have no correlation to album quality whatsoever. Great albums have had low sales for various reasons and really bad albums have topped the charts. The top 40 (ie sales) is only good when describing album popularity.

Songs like Love is a bourgeois construct for example (though an amazing song) has really complicated lyrics that few would take the time to really understand. Thus only a few people really understand it's brilliance, and this brings lower sales of the album. Electric is a good point of this as it should have been #1 in the UK but it had lower sales. You can relate this to many many other albums.

And lastly album quality is a very subjective topic. As most people think what they like is great and what they don't like is bad. It's takes a very smart person to be able to say "this track or album is amazing, but I hate it cause it's just not my thing, but it's still amazing". Removing personal bias from your judgement of album quality is a very hard thing to do.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

pietertothemuze

#21 Post by pietertothemuze »

Last edited by pietertothemuze on Wed 28 Nov 2018, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eldritch

#22 Post by Eldritch »

the8thark wrote:
Undertaker wrote:You're still basing the quality of a record on the units sold. It's now time to get a serious hold on yourself.
I have to agree with this. Sales numbers have no correlation to album quality whatsoever. Great albums have had low sales for various reasons and really bad albums have topped the charts. The top 40 (ie sales) is only good when describing album popularity.

Songs like Love is a bourgeois construct for example (though an amazing song) has really complicated lyrics that few would take the time to really understand. Thus only a few people really understand it's brilliance, and this brings lower sales of the album. Electric is a good point of this as it should have been #1 in the UK but it had lower sales. You can relate this to many many other albums.

And lastly album quality is a very subjective topic. As most people think what they like is great and what they don't like is bad. It's takes a very smart person to be able to say "this track or album is amazing, but I hate it cause it's just not my thing, but it's still amazing". Removing personal bias from your judgement of album quality is a very hard thing to do.
It's good to hear a voice of reason here. Not that it matters to nickname one jot.
Click click drone

PSBForTheMasses

#23 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

Balanced but leaning to uptempo... whatever this means.

"Actually" is the perfect album in that sense. There are two great slow numbers with a great uptempo and supertempo mix. I don't like when the Boys make two uptempo songs for its sake, and leave the rest to a kind of MOR slow songs, like they did in comatose Fundamental. In fact after Bilingual, all PSB albums but yes suffer from not-so-good slow numbers. Nightlife is another one full of listless tracks, in denial, the only one and footsteps for instance.

In fact what I want is an album full of Minimals, The Last To Dies, AOMMs, Too Many Peoples, Opportunities, that is, pefrect, well-structured, resonating pop songs; not disco, not techno, not OTT, and no Russian male chorus again please.

NJTom

#24 Post by NJTom »

If life has taught me anything, it is to expect the un-expected. With all this talk about a trilogy and arty projects, they could just surprise us and walk away.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Half my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair."