Where would you rank "Electric" in the PSB discography?

All Community forum polls and results.

Where in the PBS discography do you rank "Electric"?

1 (= best PSB studio album ever)
6%
11%
20%
13%
24%
7%
2%
4%
6%
10, 11 or 12 ( = worst PSB studio album ever)
7%

Total votes: 89

West End Boy

Where would you rank "Electric" in the PSB discography?

#1 Post by West End Boy »

Now that we've had some time to listen to the new record and let it all sink in, I'd like to ask the following question: imagine you'd have to rank the 12 PSB studio albums from best to worst - where would you rank Electric, with 1 being the best PSB studio album ever and 12 being the worst PSB studio album ever?

Please note: this thread is not meant to be used for discussions regarding your individual rankings, so please do not post your exact rankings. Just tell us where you would rank Electric. Otherwise this thread would inevitably shift towards discussions such as "Why on earth did you rank album xy as the best PSB album ever!?", which is not the point of my question. I'm just interested in seeing where Electric will end up - my guess is that most people will rank it somewhere around 5 and above.

For me, Electric is the tenth best PSB studio album, or in other words the third-worst PSB album.
From summer warmth to sudden cold

Gary1962

Re: Where would you rank "Electric" in the PSB discography?

#2 Post by Gary1962 »

I also have ranked it at number 10.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

retrofuturist

#4 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

------------
1. Behaviour
2. Very
3. Introspective
------------
4. Elysium
5. Electric
------------

For me, the 1988-1993 period is the peak of the Pet Shop Boys creativity (a view reinforced last night whilst watching A Life In Pop again), and as you can see, I regard the 2012-2013 period as the best either side of those halcyon days. As I mentioned elsewhere, splitting Elysium and Electric is difficult for me - Electric is more consistent, but Elysium has some truly beautiful songs on it. It may yet end up at #4, but for now it's #5.

Retro. :)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

Mark R.Y.

#5 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Too early for me to say, but ELECTRIC has a chance to be #1 for me. I've never officially ranked all the PSB album in order, but I do know that my criteria would be "What is the overall impact of the album as a straight-through listen?" Not necessarily which album has the most classic songs or the best consistency in its theme, but which one is the most satisfying listen from the first to last track. It's like how I prefer a film which is great and absorbing to watch straight through as opposed to a similar film which might be better in parts and might hold together more artfully, but simply isn't as satisfying.

NIGHTLIFE is a very good example of an album in which its sum is greater than its parts. PLEASE has more classic PSB songs, but it also contains a few relatively lackluster tracks. VERY is probably a better album artistically than NIGHTLIFE, but it's NIGHTLIFE that I would pick as my "desert island disc" if I only had these three albums to choose from.

I've listened to ELECTRIC several times since I bought it last Tuesday. It is exciting and breath-taking as ever. I can see it maybe becoming my favorite of the 12 PSB studio albums. I just want to wait and see if my lust for it is for real or if it's just a summer fling. ;)

Andie

#6 Post by Andie »

Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

prospero

#7 Post by prospero »

right behind their best (=beahviour and introspective), alongside please and actually.

new to this forum, hello everybody! :-)

markrobertnolan

#8 Post by markrobertnolan »

For me Electric is up there. The mopre I listen the more I love it. It's also the first album that has bucked a trend for me. From Behaviour onwards there have always been two tracks on each studio album which I have been less keen on (including Behaviour.) On Electric there is only one; "love is a bourgeoise construct." Its too cheesy, although I appreciate the production in the last couple of minutes. Othersie the sound of the album is breath-taking and it may soon become my favourite album, beating them all, including Introspective, Behaviour and Very/Relentless.

karnsculpture

#9 Post by karnsculpture »

Too early to say for me, ask in 6 months, but I do feel that 2009 - 2013 has been an amazing period as a fan of the group, having releases and live shows spread across the years.

I like Elysium and Electric equally and appreciate the differences. Between the two albums you really do have all sides of what makes PSB so special.

Add to that Yes and oh my god, what a group!

Tao Jones Index

#10 Post by Tao Jones Index »

:clap: I think it's one of the best albums.

It's their best album since Scary Monsters... :angel:

[Bowie Joke :whistle: ]

Alter Ego

#11 Post by Alter Ego »

Something like this for me......

PSBForTheMasses

#12 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

Alter Ego wrote:Something like this for me......

Wow that is fantastic:) and Actually is rightfully at the top :clap: :dance:

Nickname

#13 Post by Nickname »

Alter Ego wrote:Something like this for me......

1 - Actually
2 - Introspective
3 - Very
4 - Electric
5 - Please
6 - Yes
7 - Elysium
8 - Fundamental
9 - Behaviour
10 - Nightlife
11 - Bilingual
12- Release

PhoncibleP

#14 Post by PhoncibleP »

3rd from the top for me...

1. Introspective
2. Behaviour
3. Electric

It's the first really stunning PSB album for me in a long time. Others were good - no doubt about that - but Electric is special.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Nervously

#15 Post by Nervously »

It's really too soon for me to rate it, but I'm provisionally rating it fifth. Will be interesting to see how it fares in a year. Don't think it'll go below 7th or above 4th.