1%
1%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 106

Bjossi

Re: Rating: "Fluorescent"

#31 Post by Bjossi »

With the sinister tone, fake vinyl sound effects and a delicious bass that could almost churn the earwax from my ears, Fluorescent is one of my favourites from the album. And what a quick yet backhair-rising ending! My only wish is that it had more "Brighter and brighter and brighter you burn..." bits. 9/10

Gary1962

#32 Post by Gary1962 »

This track is ready made for a Dub version.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

Remark

#33 Post by Remark »

This is exactly the kind of positive praise Construct received at first, until it was announced as a single...

...then this forum destroyed it and heralded it as one of PSB's worst.

- Remark

www.remarkcentral.com

PSBForTheMasses

#34 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

Remark wrote:This is exactly the kind of positive praise Construct received at first, until it was announced as a single...

- Remark

http://www.remarkcentral.com
Speaking for myself, I did not care for the song from the very beginning. I was particularly disappointed as I had read excellent reviews until then.

As far as I've read the negative reactions, many did not slag it off as the worst PSB song; in fact they said they liked it but heralded it as the worst choice of the recent times for a single, given the particular strength of Electric. they say they have done it too many times before (Go West, Somewhere, New York city boy etc) and because of this kind of songs, the general public regard the Boys as an OTT gay anthem band that should not be given serious credibility. Wrong! Until you delve into the Boys' excellent universe, you have no clue how great they are. And this makes me sorry. Some also said that this is a tired and failed attempt to create another Hung-up because of the latter's tremendous success and I agree. This was exactly my first reaction when I listened to it.

Anyway it is certainly a fan favorite and long-time fans say that it will not make any difference whether it is Love is or another song; PSB are releasing these singles just to make some more money thanks to their fans, not to attract some new fans or to boost the album sales etc etc. I thought they were willing to reach to a broader audience backed by the momentum of Yes and Electric, but as far as this forum shows, this is not the story. So end of the argument.

Edited single version may be more tolerable as the album version is too long, who knows?

BlueSwan

#35 Post by BlueSwan »

9. Best track on Electric along with Inside A Dream. Time will tell whether it is a 10.
http://www.soundcloud.com/blueswan (Blue Swan tracks, my solo tracks and remixes)

http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)

Spittingcat

#36 Post by Spittingcat »

I voted 8 originally, but It's up to a 9 now. Love the space in the track, so disagree with those saying more lyrics required.

Mr Love

#37 Post by Mr Love »

10/10 - PSB meets Kraftwerk is the 4th Electric track to receive the highest score from me, after Axis, Vocal (both of which I first rated 7 I think, but oh have they grown) and Love is a bourgeois construct - talk about perfect single choices at last! :clap:

prospero

#38 Post by prospero »

I know fade to grey is the reference point, but the track reminds me even more of being boiled, esp. the single version...

NikacP0kac

#39 Post by NikacP0kac »

Now, this kind of Neil is what the song is about :P

Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Ghost within this house

#40 Post by Ghost within this house »

See Pet Texts... they're playing it live in Singapore!
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

Remark

#41 Post by Remark »

Ghost within this house wrote:See Pet Texts... they're playing it live in Singapore!
JUST SAW THIS...AMAZING! This means they might have it added to the North America tour! Can't wait to see them again in September in Florida! AHHHHHH

- Remark

www.remarkcentral.com

Bjossi

#42 Post by Bjossi »

It'll be very interesting to see and hear how they pull off this track live.

D.J.

#43 Post by D.J. »

Bjossi wrote:It'll be very interesting to see and hear how they pull off this track live.
Easily! It's such a hypnotic track! I know it would definitely "destroy" the nightclub. I could see the smoke coming from the smoke machine and people going off when it's playing! 8)

Bjossi

#44 Post by Bjossi »

The "Brighter and brighter and brighter you burn" bits in particular sound awesome live in my mind haha.

jasonjohn

#45 Post by jasonjohn »

Remark wrote:This is exactly the kind of positive praise Construct received at first, until it was announced as a single...

- Remark

http://www.remarkcentral.com
lol, so true