No votes
No votes
5%

Total votes: 86

Nickname

Rating: "Thursday"

#1 Post by Nickname »

And please answer these questions:

1) Would you like this track was a single?.

2) Would you like Neil could change his soft voice on the verses of this track to a proper voice in a similar way he sings the chorus?.

3) What's your opinion about Example's rap?

4) What's your opinion about Example's singing (after the rap)?

5) Do you like Example taking part of this song or would you like Example was deleted on a single version of the track?

6) Do you think "Thursday" is one the best PSB tracks in 20 years?

7) Do you think "Thursday" could be very well appreciated by general public and having success if it has a good promotion?
Last edited by Nickname on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoyStrange

Re: Rating: "Thursday"

#2 Post by BoyStrange »

9/10

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Cool
4) Cool
5) Include him
6) Yes
7) Yes

goughsjd

#3 Post by goughsjd »

Would be a great single , Niels vocals sound great , I think examples part on this song is brilliant & yes Thursday is one of the best tracks in their 29 year career !!?!
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

West End Boy

#4 Post by West End Boy »

And please ask these questions:

Yes

2) Would you like Neil could change his soft voice on the verses of this track to a proper voice in a similar way he sings the chorus?

No. I like the way he sings the verses, but they're too low in the mix - as we've said countless times before.

I like it very much, but it's a bit too long I think

Amazing. One of the best parts of the song.

5) Do you like Example taking part of this song or would you like Example was deleted on a single version of the track?

I like it. The song would've been a bit too repetitive without his rap part.

No. A very good track indeed, but not one of the best in the past 20 years. I could name at least 20 PSB songs from the past 20 years that I consider better than 'Thursday'

7) Do you think "Thursday" could be very well appreciated by general public and having success if it has a good promotion?

Yes. With decent promotion, it could maybe be as popular as "Love etc" has been. Not a worldwide smash hit - PSB will never score this sort of hit again - but it could have decent success, considering their age
    From summer warmth to sudden cold

Ramzy

#5 Post by Ramzy »

Not really. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure on the album but I think people might laugh at it.
    2) Would you like Neil could change his soft voice on the verses of this track to a proper voice in a similar way he sings the chorus?.
    No. The verses are the best bit of the song. The chorus is a bit much for me.
    Pretty good. Fits the song's desperation.
    Not bad, but a bit Radio 1 for my liking. It veers a tad too close to the autotuned histrionics of this decade's pop music.
    No, I think he's a fun addition, and the song wouldn't have enough to it without him. He's the middle 8 - his rap is the equivalent of the instrumental in 'The way it used to be' (though not nearly as good, I hasten to add).
    I don't even think it's one of the best songs on Electric.
    No. PSB have released far stronger singles over the last decade that have fallen totally flat. They might yet have another number 1 album, but I very much doubt they'll see the inside of the top 40 singles chart again.
    I must disengage your recreational music.

territorygal

#6 Post by territorygal »

1) Yes.
    2) No.
    3) & 4) & 5) Example does a good job.
    6) I like it, it's a bit of a guilty pleasure, but not "one of the best in 20 years".
    7) I don't know.
    And everything about tonight feels right and so young
    And anything I'd want to say out loud will be sung
    It's in the music...

Undertaker

#7 Post by Undertaker »

7/10.

It's a single because of the rap. Other than that, it's not good enough to be a single based on quality. A very good album track though. Never in a million years is it one of the best tracks in the past 20 years lmao. There are probably 20 or 30 songs that are better than Thursday. There are at least 3 songs on Electric alone that are better.

bongsteve

#8 Post by bongsteve »

1) Would you like this track was a single? Questionable, only if the mix was better. Still feels like it would be a hit if sung by today's biggest teen female star but not by PSB>

2) Would you like Neil could change his soft voice on the verses of this track to a proper voice in a similar way he sings the chorus? Yes, the vocals need to be turned up a bit.

3) What's your opinion about Example's rap? Fine, no issues with it at all and complements the song well.

4) What's your opinion about Example's singing (after the rap)? Fine, if they used Pitbull or someone more famous, they'd probably have a hit.

5) Do you like Example taking part of this song or would you like Example was deleted on a single version of the track? Keep it.

6) Do you think "Thursday" is one the best PSB tracks in 20 years? Not even close. Not even in their top 20 tracks in the last 20 years but that's just me.

7) Do you think "Thursday" could be very well appreciated by general public and having success if it has a good promotion? Probably not, it's the PSB and they are unlikely to have much of a hit nowdays. Just being honest but hopefully they'll surprise us.

MD

#9 Post by MD »

I think it's a very good song, and I like Example's part. Will it be a hit single?, I doubt it. They are too old and they are gay which makes it unlikely that anything they release ( no matter how good ) will get sufficient airplay to be a hit.

The best song in 20 years? No. It's not even the best song on the album.
    "Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"

jasonjohn

#10 Post by jasonjohn »

Yes but also wouldn't mind if it was left as an album gem

No but the mix could raise it a little

I like it.

I like it a lot.

Nah keep him.

It's up there but Leaving, Love Etc, Coming, Minimal, Winner, Drunk, New York city boy, Invisible are all as brilliant or more so.

Yes. Not sure how much I care. Especially given they are already doing well as a concert act, which means they already have good general public draw.

Drem

#11 Post by Drem »

1) Of course! Just think about how good extended version can be!

2) Well, it could be pretty nice treatment for a single edit.

3) It's ok. Nothing wrong with that rapping, much better than I expected.

4) Even better than rapping. He's got a bit of that talent, I must admit, despite his chimpanzee look.

5) In this particular respect, better to keep it as it is.

6) No, like West End Boy have said. Last twenty years were full of standout Pet Shop Boys songs, so it would be better to say "it's canonical Pet Shop Boys great song".

7) I doubt. It would depend on overall success of "Electric" campaign.
    "I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
    (Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

michael888

#12 Post by michael888 »

1) Yea

2) Yea

3) Great. Outstanding

4) Outstanding.

5) Taking part of this song?

6) One of the best.

7) Yea
    A small voice of calm and reason.

One of the crowd

#13 Post by One of the crowd »

Get asked less questions by the Police
    Did Zoe Ball let something slip today? (31:01:24)

DazzerUKUK

#14 Post by DazzerUKUK »

nickname wrote:And please answer these questions:

Yes

No, it works well.

V good

Good melody and adds to the complexity of the track.

Yes I do or no I don't.

No

Probably not. PSB are like Marmite for many and if you mean success with a single...again no, the successful single days for PSB are over.
    And you say you never believed in luck

the8thark

#15 Post by the8thark »

1. Not entirely. It works as a single (with a bit of work done to it). But the track that is the most commercially viable as a single (in my opinion) is "The Last To Die". But it's a cover? Doesn't matter. "Always On my Mind" and "Go West" were covers and great singles. And at 4:13, you'd not even have to edit it much for radio.
    I think The Boss would approve of this too.

2. It works fine as is for me.

3. It works nicely. I like it.

4. Remove it. It's terrible. Just have NT sing it.

5. Keep the Example rap but replace the Example singing with NT singing that part if it was to be a single.

6. No. Not even close in my opinion. But It's a very subjective question.

7. Possible yes. It's just want the public want. The top 40 junkies that is. But it has none of the deep and emotional and multilayered lyrics like so many other PSB songs have.
    Last edited by the8thark on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
    If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
    If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here