2%
No votes
No votes
2%

Total votes: 103

Nickname

Rating: "Electric"

#1 Post by Nickname »

Well, you can wait till the next week to listen to it on cd but maybe some of you could give your veredict right now. The album is on stream.

You can add your own review.

Axis: A really good opener, it reminds a bit to Krawftwerk but much better. Building a track you can listen to it before you go to the disco. A lot of sounds effects. (7'5/10)

Bolshy: The sound reminds me to a balearic Spanish group called "Locomia". They danced on a TV show on New Year's Eve with PSB singing Domino Dancing. In fact, "Bolshy" is a tribute to "Introspective" and "Domino Dancing". More or less, 6 minutes of summer song with an easy melody, like it was an extended version or 12" version of one track. Typical disco sound of 1988/1989 with all the effects. The problem here is I think the song goes to nowhere in the middle of it. I know they are trying to create a song like it was a 12" version of one single track but the thing is you feel necessary to listen to a 7" single version first that it doesn't exist. Anyway, I fell in love with PSB with "Introspective" so I love the track. (8/10)

Love is a bourgeois construct: It's good, of course it's not "Go West" but it reminds a lot to it. The beginning is amazing but I don't like so much the Michael Nyman sample. Anyway it's one of the best songs PSB have created in the last 20 years and PSB fans will love it. It's anthemic, fresh and happy. Of course, we love the big choir on it. A problem for me is the lack of a chorus anyway it's an easy going journey. (8,5/10)

Fluorescent: Going into a deep sound, more dark and strange. It doesn't work as well as the previous tracks for me. I know PSB love these myterious and strange sounds, like being in a nightclub at 4 a.m. with a hangover. The chorus is not bad, anyway. (6/10).

Inside a dream: The songs starts very well. Smart sounds while Neil sings the verses but the problem is the dreamy sound while Neil sings the chorus. This dreamy sound which starts at 4:25 is going to nowhere again like they didn't know how to go on with the song. (6'5/10)

The last to die: Much better with the proper studio version. It's not one of their best versions like "Go West" or "Always on my Mind" are but it's good enough. The "la la la" of the end is really dramatic. (6,5/10)

Shouting in the evening: This song cames from the underground. Like you had found Godzilla face to face and you were trying to scape. Dirty sounds but I love the "feel so good" and the losing machine control at 2:40, it's brilliant. (6,5/10)

Thursday: The best PSB song in 20 years. I'm agree when you say is not a good thing this soft voice from Neil at the beginning, I know they try to sound a bit misterious but it doesn't work, the rest of it works perfectly. The track has many of the hooks from the "Imperial Phase". The sounds of "Westend Girls" with the classy of "What have I done to deserve this?". A bit of "Domino Dancing" and "Paninaro" when they sing "It's not over". Chris is singing too: "Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday". At the end, Example is amazing, the rap is very good but when he starts to sing, the song goes into a BIG CLASSIC. Sigle material, the best thing since "Go West". (9'5/10)

Vocal: Very generic. Like a new version of "It's alright" but going into the dance floor in the late 90's or maybe today. The thing is on this track PSB sound like David Guetta. It's not a bad thing if you don't try to do the same thing again and again. It's effective and gives the end of the album what it really needs. A big party at the end of it, the celebration of youth, music and good feelings like "It's alright" in the 80's. (7/10)

----

Electric: What a pity!, the best PSB album since "Very" (I have to say that again). The thing is "Electric" was a strong contender to face "Very". I mean, when I thought they couldn't create such strong songs like "Very" has, they have created "Thursday" and "Love is a bourgeois construct". Also with good songs like "Axis" or "Bolshy". The problem is "Very" is more consistent, you could find in the middle of the album songs like "The theatre", "Dreaming of the Queen" or "Your Offender" and in the middle of "Electric" you find "Fluorescent or "Inside a dream" and it's not obviously the same. "Electric" has one of the best opening ("Axis", "Bolshy", "Love is a bourgeois construct") and one of the best endings ("Thursday", "Vocal") of their career. The problem is the experimental songs in the middle, some of them could be B-sides (don't forget this album was going to be a kind of "Disco 5" and you can notice that in the quality of some songs).

Another weak thing of "Electric" is some songs have been extended with no sense. For example, "Left to my own devices" last more than 8 minutes, if you listen the single version you miss many things but imagine "Bolshy" having a radio edit, it would be very easy to make one and you were not going to miss anything.

Electric - Rating: 7,3

1 - Actually
2 - Introspective
3 - Very
4 - Electric
5 - Please
6 - Yes
7 - Elysium
8 - Fundamental
9 - Behaviour
10 - Nightlife
11 - Bilingual
12- Release

ZiggyPSB

Re: Rating: "Electric"

#2 Post by ZiggyPSB »

I voted 7/10, although I've almost already begun to regret that. I could mark it up to 8/10 because Fluorescent which was originally a 2/10 for me has grown on me slightly.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Andie

#3 Post by Andie »

Still 10/10 from me. It didn't disappoint in any way :)
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

Spittingcat

#4 Post by Spittingcat »

Axis - 9
Bolshy - 8
Love Is A Bourgeois Construct - 6
Fluorescent - 8
Inside A Dream - 10
The Last To Die - 9
Shouting In The Evening - 10
Thursday - 10
Vocal -10

But, taken as a whole... the first album they've done in a long time that gels totally as an album.
Not only don't I want to skip anything, but doing so would negatively effect the song after it.

Electric - Rating: 10

1 - Introspective 10
2 - Electric 10
3 - Yes 9
4 - Nightlife 8
5 - Fundamental 8
6 - Bilingual 8
7 - Very 8
8 - Actually 8
9 - Behaviour 8
10 - Please 8
11 - Elysium 7
12 - Release 6

Gary1962

#5 Post by Gary1962 »

I have rated the album a 6/10. It has a few excellent tracks, Love Is....., Flourescent, Inside A Dream and The Last To Die. The trouble I find with it is it runs out of steam after The Last To Die, I've already mentioned in another thread that I think Shouting In The Evening ranks as one of the worst PSB songs, Thursday for me has 2 problems, one the rap by Example adds nothing and the vocal effects especially on the spoken bits by Chris are awful, why on earth did they feel the need to distort his voice for such a straight forward spoken vocal?

The last track Vocal I am really struggling to find this song appealing maybe for my ears it is to repetitive.

So for me not a classic but it is different and they should be applauded for that.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

Ghost within this house

#6 Post by Ghost within this house »

Fluorescent and Inside a dream are the best tracks on the album.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

boyjohn

#7 Post by boyjohn »

I love Shouting, they could turn this into some fantastic remixes.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

GalataPSB

#8 Post by GalataPSB »

Axis - 8
Bolshy - 9
Love Is A Bourgeois Construct - 10
Fluorescent - 8
Inside A Dream - 9
The Last To Die - 10
Shouting In The Evening - 7
Thursday - 4
Vocal -6

1. Behaviour
2. Yes
3. Very
4. Actually
5. Electric
6.Fundamental
7. Please
8. Elysium
9. Introspective
10. Bilingual
11. Release
12. Nightlife

Effen Vida

#9 Post by Effen Vida »

I burned my pipe and slippers, sold my allotment, stayed out till almost midnight and gave it a '9'. Such a wonderful surprise. Love it.
That said, Shouting in the Evening does not fit into my ears. I've tried vaseline, jabbing it in with a sharp stick and even attempted to have it surgically implanted. Nope, my ears refuse to accept it. Doesn't mean it's shit, it just means I don't like it. At all.

When I first heard Axis I thought it was ok, nothing special. Now it makes me wince with pleasure. I abhorred Vocal! Utterly despised it. It's now possibly my favourite from Electric. The rest? *sighs* Oh Neil and Chris, how I love thee.

stussyboy

#10 Post by stussyboy »

It's looking like an 8/10 for me, although time will be the true judge:

Release 10
Very 10
Behaviour 10
Introspective 9
Actually 9
Fundamental 8
Please 8
Elysium 8
Electric 8
Yes 7
Bilingual 7
Nightlife 6

( Results 8 )
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

bongsteve

#11 Post by bongsteve »

7/10 at best.

I like it but am not loving it like others are. I think there are a couple of very good tracks but some flaws that are keeping it from being top notch. I could never see this being rated as the best PSB album ever as some are saying. Give it a couple of months and maybe it will climb a bit. The bottom 2 are pretty interchangable as well.

1 - Please
2 - Behaviour
3 - Very
4 - Yes
5 - Actually
6 - Fundamental
7 - Electric
8 - Nightlife
9 - Introspective
10 - Elysium
11 - Bilingual
12- Release

As for the songs on Electric, favorites in order of preference:
Inside a Dream
Vocal
Thursday
Love is a Bourgeois Construct
Flourescent
The Last to Die
Bolshy
Axis
Shouting at the Evening

The Last to Die is quickly rising though while Love is a bourgeois construct is making it's way down.

Boring90

#12 Post by Boring90 »

Electric 9/10

Axis - 9
Bolshy - 7
Love Is A Bourgeois Construct - 10
Fluorescent - 10
Inside A Dream - 10
The Last To Die - 8
Shouting In The Evening - 6
Thursday - 10
Vocal - 8
Las Vegas 1999

Strife

#13 Post by Strife »

These are my current ratings...

Axis 9 (Was 8/10 on original poll)
Bolshy 8.5
Love Is A Bourgeois Construct 9.5
Fluorescent 8
Inside A Dream 9.5
The Last To Die 9.5
Shouting In The Evening 8
Thursday 10
Vocal 10

Electric 9/10

1st Behaviour/Very 10/10
3rd Introspective 9/10
4th Actually 9/10
5th Electric 9/10
6th Please 8.5/10
7th Fundamental 8.5/10
8th Yes 8.5/10
9th Elysium 8/10
10th Nightlife 8/10
11th Release 8/10
12th Bilingual 7.5/10

Really hard work... not 100% certain either :lol:

vincenzosz

#14 Post by vincenzosz »

Alright, I'll bite...

In star amounts as per my iTunes ratings

Axis ***1/2
Bolshy ****
Love Is A Bourgeois Construct ***1/2
Fluorescent ***1/2
Inside A Dream ****1/2
The Last To Die ***
Shouting In The Evening ***
Thursday ****1/2
Vocal ****

Electric **** (those are stars by the way ^_~)

1st Yes *****
2nd Release ****1/2
3rd Elysium ****1/2
4th Fundamental ****1/2
5th Please ****
6th Actually ****
7th Electric ****
8th Very ****
9th Introspective ****
10th Bilingual ****
11th Nightlife ****
12th Behaviour ****

MD

#15 Post by MD »

Axis 8
Bolshy 9.5
Love is a bourgeois construct 10
Fluorescent 10
Inside a dream 9.5
The last to Die 10
Shouting in the evening 10
Thursday 10
Vocal 10

It may be their most thematically consistent album ever. All of the tracks just fit, each one seems to enhance the one that follows. Electric is clearly in the first tier of Pet Shop Boys albums.
"Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"