The "Elysium" Survivor Challenge - Round 1

All Community forum polls and results.

What are your TWO least favourite tracks?

Poll ended at Mon 08 Jul 2013, 8:50 pm

Winner
22%
Your early stuff
6%
A face like that
1%
Breathing space
5%
Ego music
18%
Hold on
23%
Give it a go
7%
Memory of the future
1%
Everything means something
13%
Requiem in denim and leopardskin
5%

Total votes: 175

Tom Angel

Re: The "Elysium" Survivor Challenge - Round 1

#31 Post by Tom Angel »

Breathing Space is majestic. Despite the classic LA warmth of the production, it shivers with honesty. It represents everything I love about psb, the stop out is spine tingling, and I'm shocked that anyone work dislike it.

The slightly cringeworthy Hold on and one-joke irritant of ego music (although the instrumental is a big improvement) off for me.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

vincenzosz

#32 Post by vincenzosz »

Totally Drico, I think that's what put the bad taste in my mouth for Winner initially. The Olympics cash-in idea (which didn't work) seemed to lack the integrity that I admire them for. Its got its moments. Its an album track, nothing more. Many good things, none worthy of being labeled a single. I do enjoy this song from time to time, but its the definition of non-definitive (if that's a word) ;P

Nervously

#33 Post by Nervously »

A lot of the press reviews of "Electric" seem to describe "Elysium" as a sort of concept album about PSB being disgruntled at their commercial decline. I think this is due to a common misreading of "Invisible" as autobiography. (Unless the interviews where Neil insists it's not autobiographical are disingenuous)

"Your early stuff" is the only song on the album with this theme, really, and it's a humourous, self-effacing song. "Ego Music" is satire, pure and simple, and I love some good satire. I don't see why either humour or satire should equal "novelty". Especially among Pet shop boys fans- I mean, they've always done it.

I can't listen to "Breathing space" at all, it's not for me. Sounds like a track from "Release", the only PSB album I don't like. I voted for that and the olympic cash-in thing.

Spittingcat

#34 Post by Spittingcat »

Breathing Space has been added to Release in my playlists, it's their best track in that style. Love it.

Legacy is amazing, the instrumental even more so. A great album ending.

Still love Hold On, and I'm clearly in the minority!

I voted for Winner, despite the remix being utterly beautiful. The album/single version is painful to listen to, a failed Take That single.

Otherwise, this poll has made me realise just who much I love the songs on this album.

I voted for Requiem, as it's the least good out of the other tracks. It's still good... only Winner (the track not the song) isn't to my taste on this album, everything else I really like.

Ghost within this house

#35 Post by Ghost within this house »

CroMagnon wrote:I don't understand the hate for 'Everything means something'. It's one of the strongest, most atmospheric tracks on the album for me.
I totally agree. I now rate it, alongside Invisible, as the finest track on the album
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

Bjossi

#36 Post by Bjossi »

Would have voted for Invisible and Your Early Stuff, went with Ego Music instead of Invisible. Why hasn't the administrator increased the maximum number of poll options yet?