2%
2%
3%
2%

Total votes: 127

onzio

Re: Rating: "Love is a Bourgeois Construct"

#61 Post by onzio »

I voted 9. Yes I love it so much, but it's not "the masterpiece" or a 10 just because, talking about irony, the PSB have been very lazy on a song about lazyness. I mean they took the Nyman track, put some bass and drums and that's the backing track. The lyrics are gorgeous but set to a very simple melody, the song itself is marvellous, but I think that great part of the credit should go to the original composers both Nyman and previously Purcell. That makes me a little bit jealous. :oops:
What makes the song here is the wonderful baroque harpsichord-esque chord progression! Ah ok... and the lyrics. :P :clap:
The Onzio on Spotify
The Onzio on YouTube
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

Hillbilly

#62 Post by Hillbilly »

onzio wrote:I voted 9. Yes I love it so much, but it's not "the masterpiece" or a 10 just because, talking about irony, the PSB have been very lazy on a song about lazyness. I mean they took the Nyman track, put some bass and drums and that's the backing track. The lyrics are gorgeous but set to a very simple melody, the song itself is marvellous, but I think that great part of the credit should go to the original composers both Nyman and previously Purcell. That makes me a little bit jealous. :oops:
What makes the song here is the wonderful baroque harpsichord-esque chord progression! Ah ok... and the lyrics. :P :clap:
Now it appears that even the title is not their own! Neil says in the interview for The Sun (scanned in separate thread):
The lyric came from a novel by David Lodge called Nice Work. Putting such a literary phrase into a title for a pop song appealed to me out of bloody-mindedness really.
Laziness indeed! I'm not sure I want to rate the song 10 anymore...

Peter1984

#63 Post by Peter1984 »

Voted on 7. Nice song but they had better.

psb-freak

#64 Post by psb-freak »

9/10. My second favourite track on Electric. :)
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

Kiran

#65 Post by Kiran »

I'll give this an 8. It feels to me like they've gone all out to record a PSB classic, but fallen short of the mark. Non PSB fans will see this as "typical PSBs" rather than something that warrants a purchase.
I rule. You don't.

PSBForTheMasses

#66 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

If this was the first song I heard from the Boys, I would think: what kind of dumb band is this? After the marvelous Love etc., Minimal and Actually&Introspective songs (and of course Axis), this sounded... sorry, no offence, but too generic Europop that bands formed by one black guy and one silly woman in 90s would come up with (here in Turkey there are still many fans of those songs, not to mention, repulsive Modern Talking songs; you can watch their silly videos on Youtube). The second thought was: Oh they want to do Madonna's Hung-up but lost it somewhere in the process. and That bourgeoiseee bourgeoiseee part...sounds childish, absurd.

Everyone says this is similar to Go West but Go West is much better. I just listened to A Red Letter Day; it is also miles better than this. The only song that this triumphs is the absymal New York City Boy. Anyway, there are eight more great songs in this suberp album.

I rated this 5. I can't bear to rate lower.

Some Amazon reviews that I read say that this should have been on Elysium, not on this album. But they do not explain WHY it should be so.

jasonjohn

#67 Post by jasonjohn »

86% of people give it 7 or above.

Most journalist reviewers seem to love it.

'Nuff said!

PSBForTheMasses

#68 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

jasonjohn wrote:86% of people give it 7 or above.

Most journalist reviewers seem to love it.

'Nuff said!
So what is your point?

This is your words from another topic:

"It's personal preference regarding what songs beat other song ....."

What kind of hypocrisy is this? At one point you say "it is a personal preference", at another point, you frown at people just because they do not like what you like with quite tyrannic words:"nuff said".

I expected better from the fans of such a great and clever band. They sound quite dumb, they continue to surprise me. People here call others "thick" if they are not in the same opinion. Some members think that their opinions are "meaningful facts" while the opinions of others are "contentious things". And now this. What kind of place here is, a cauldron? That's not surprising, then, that only a handful of people are writing (and always the same names) and that many more are just reading and leaving quietly.

You should grow up and learn to tolerate others' opinions, like it or not.

jasonjohn

#69 Post by jasonjohn »

No point other than lots of people seem to love it.

I never mentioned you at all in my post. You can chose not to like the track.

You seem to be trying to invent some kind of ground swell against it. That's worth questioning.

PSBForTheMasses

#70 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

jasonjohn wrote:No point other than lots of people seem to love it.

I never mentioned you at all in my post. You can chose not to like the track. Don't care.

You seem to be trying to invent some kind of ground swell against it. Don't expect that to go unquestioned.
What's that silly "to invent some kind of" thing you seem to be fond of so much in your later posts?

jasonjohn

#71 Post by jasonjohn »

The "86% of people give it 7 or above" rating comes directly from this page.

Not invented :dance:

Bjossi

#72 Post by Bjossi »

PSBForTheMasses wrote:I expected better from the fans of such a great and clever band. They sound quite dumb [...]
Don't drag me into your generalization. I never attack other people's tastes in PSB's discography unless I'm out of character for some reason or another, my own tastes are far too unusual for it to be even sensible.

Undertaker

#73 Post by Undertaker »

jasonjohn wrote:No point other than lots of people seem to love it.

I never mentioned you at all in my post. You can chose not to like the track.

You seem to be trying to invent some kind of ground swell against it. That's worth questioning.
That's exactly what I thought. How on earth your post was attacked, I do not know. You didn't even mention any names either. Just posted a fact about the voting. I'm failing to understans why someone would find that offensive...... :?

Riikka

#74 Post by Riikka »

10/10, definitely. Within three weeks, I've already listened to the song more times than any other PSB song. :shock: I can't describe how much I love it.

Jimmyboy40

#75 Post by Jimmyboy40 »

8 Dead pan, quality lyrics, love the fact that there is no chorus as such, I still think the song would be better if Neil's vocal was a bit down in the mix a touch and not so high, almost more deadpan and building, a bit like the "Talking tough and feeling bitter, We're better now, it's clear to me That love is a bourgeois construct, So I've given up the bourgeoisie" refrain, the way he sings/talks that is better than the end of some of the verses where it can verge on a little Over the top,