2%
3%
2%

Total votes: 127

Harry

Re: Rating: "Love is a Bourgeois Construct"

#46 Post by Harry »

I've given it a '9'.

I've heard it on the CD (I was given a review copy) and cranked up loud on good speakers it sounds brilliant. Stunning. I like the way Neil's vocal is quite heavily altered in some parts and very auto-tuned, he sounds bright and energetic. This song reminds me of 'Very', I think mainly because of the way Neil sounds.

Being part of 'Electric' it is pretty noisy too, production wise.

I've since watched the live performance from the tour, which I was previously avoiding as a spoiler, and I can see why they dropped it from the setlist. They looked like they struggled with it and Chris didn't look too happy, I think it'll work better as a live track when people know the song.

Harry
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

ingenue

#47 Post by ingenue »

I've practically memorized it already. The most wordy song of the album.

Andie

#48 Post by Andie »

I gave it a 10. Amazing version on the album, still not keen on the live version & nothing to do with the quality, it just sounds tame in comparison.
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

Spittingcat

#49 Post by Spittingcat »

It's growing on me fast...

tottenhammattspurs

#50 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

It sounds like what the general public think PSB sound like. Which isn't a good thing. It's a Shameless meets Hell meets Sodom mix and it'll only help to cement the opinion of the general public that they are "that gay band who used to have hits". To me, the only thing missing is Roland Rivron on keyboards. It sounds like someone who hasnt heard anything since Go West doing a PSB parody.

Saying that, I am a sucker for a camp classic. If this was by BWO or Alcazar it'll be fine!
is is and isnt isnt

Drico One

#51 Post by Drico One »

Who gives a shit what the general public thinks? It's not as if they're all going to fundamentally change their deep-seated prejudices on the strength of a single from Electric.

All a PSB single does these days is tell a few media outlets that they're still around and furnish the diehards with b-sides, remixes, and something to complain about.

They should be releasing their best songs - not something that doesn't offend Kings of Leon fans.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Bjossi

#52 Post by Bjossi »

I'm no general public spokesperson but for me the music experience has no politics or other such nonsense attached to it, all I care about is the tune itself and the visuals, I will listen to it if I like the music, and won't listen to it if I don't. Simple as that really. Though as I said I'm no spokesperson, maybe I'm the odd one out in this world...

Quicksand

#53 Post by Quicksand »

Oh no, after all the hype from you guys I has looking forward to this track, but I'm really not liking it at all :shock: I've only listened 3 times, it might grow on me I guess. Im not keen on Shameless either which to me sounds similar. The rest of the Album is brilliant however, up there with the best!

rashomon

#54 Post by rashomon »

Bloomin' eck Mildred!

Over half of the voters here have given it a maximum 10!

Meanwhile, over on the other threads I'm reading about how amazing Bolshy / Inside a dream / Fluorescent / Thursday / Shouting in the evening / Last to die is

Are we about to enter a new imperial phase?! Not in commercial terms of course but in terms of pure quality!

Wow!
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Blogo

#55 Post by Blogo »

After a few days worth of listening, this track is still a 10. It's incredible that they're able to write such a song.

Few bits that I love about the track;

1 - The intro - the pulsating beat before Nyman's piece slithers it's way to the foreground. Total theatrics, brilliant.

2 - When the hung up-esque drum pattern and bass jumps out at you after the initial intro.

3 - The lyrics - they're just so bloody good, 'You won't see me with a bunch of roses, promising fidelity, love doesn't mean a thing to me'. Utter amazingnessness.

4 - The foreboding yet jovial male choir (various Neil's?) in the middle bit and at the outro.

Actually, the whole thing is fantastic.

Nice one, Neil and Chris.
Listen without prejudice

stussyboy

#56 Post by stussyboy »

Odd wrote:Only PSB can make a song like this. And that’s why I love them so much!
This.
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

MD

#57 Post by MD »

This song is just fantastic! Thought I'd bump this thread back up to give those who haven't voted a chance too.
"Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"

vincenzosz

#58 Post by vincenzosz »

I'm totally missing something. This is indeed a Go west situation. Arguably their most popular song and It's my least favourite. Here it's sorta the same. I want to like it, I keep listening to it. The lyrics are great, but other than that this song does nothing for me. The main synthetic orchestra bit sounds like a bad midi sample. Musically I don't get what's so great here. Sounds like a bit if a mess to me.

That's my opinion anyways. I'm glad you are all pleased at this awesome song, and I wish I could join in, it's just not hitting any marks with me. Maybe there will be a mix that I will enjoy more.

Yours truly,
The minority

Tom Angel

#59 Post by Tom Angel »

vincenzosz wrote:I'm totally missing something. This is indeed a Go west situation. Arguably their most popular song and It's my least favourite. Here it's sorta the same. I want to like it, I keep listening to it. The lyrics are great, but other than that this song does nothing for me. The main synthetic orchestra bit sounds like a bad midi sample. Musically I don't get what's so great here. Sounds like a bit if a mess to me.

That's my opinion anyways. I'm glad you are all pleased at this awesome song, and I wish I could join in, it's just not hitting any marks with me. Maybe there will be a mix that I will enjoy more.

Yours truly,
The minority

+1

As I already mentioned. It sounds half finished. If only Trevor Horn has been involved on this song
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Danger

#60 Post by Danger »

9 for me: a masterpiece!