I like it, because it's silly.

vincenzosz

Re: Rating: "Love is a Bourgeois Construct"

#34 Post by vincenzosz »

Meh.

jasonjohn

#35 Post by jasonjohn »

How will they ever cut this down to a single?

So many long verses.

DYSMC2009

#36 Post by DYSMC2009 »

I voted a 3. I feel it is an exceptionally unmarketable song. I highly doubt anyone save for devout PSB fans would wish to purchase it. I don't think casual listeners would care to even listen to it. I am mystified at the enthusiasm for the song. It is a fun piece, but strictly for the fans.

joe stalin

#37 Post by joe stalin »

DYSMC2009 wrote:I voted a 3. I feel it is an exceptionally unmarketable song. I highly doubt anyone save for devout PSB fans would wish to purchase it. I don't think casual listeners would care to even listen to it. I am mystified at the enthusiasm for the song. It is a fun piece, but strictly for the fans.
I gave it a 6. I think you hit the nail on the head with 'strictly for the fans'. I think Dave Pearce pretty much said the same on the show on Saturday... Its not pulling up any trees, not doing anything that surprises. Its formulaic PSB. Nice enough as it is so I gave it a 6.

I think a shortened 'inside a dream' or 'thursday' (purely for the excellent rap & singing from example)... would possibly be more likely to please new ears.

This track to me simply pleases old ears

vincenzosz

#38 Post by vincenzosz »

I think because I wasn't around during "the good old days" and the fact that Go West is one of my least favourite PSB tracks makes me have no feelings about this. I'm too much of a newbie to have any feelings other than neutrality about this song. But I'm glad you're all enjoying the campy nostalgia trip.

Spittingcat

#39 Post by Spittingcat »

6/10

This is the only track that'd not yet grabbed me (only heard the snippets and Radio2 play).
One thing going for it is that it's hard to ignore, so good choice of single to get non-fans talking about PSB.

Oh, I love the danced up Wendy Carlos music, and feel I should like the clever clever lyrics, but the vocals sound like a demo.

To compare, all the other tracks and snippets I've heard have made me go "WHOOP... BRING IT ON!" and instantly sound like 9 or 10 out of ten.

Perhaps I'll love it when the CD drops... we'll see...

Spittingcat

#40 Post by Spittingcat »

Oh, and when it was on Radio2, I got a txt message from a friend who was excited about how good he thought it was, so it might well be just me.

Bjossi

#41 Post by Bjossi »

vincenzosz wrote:I think because I wasn't around during "the good old days" and the fact that Go West is one of my least favourite PSB tracks makes me have no feelings about this. I'm too much of a newbie to have any feelings other than neutrality about this song. But I'm glad you're all enjoying the campy nostalgia trip.
I wasn't even born when Please and Actually were released and I absolutely love this tune. The melody will either grab you or not, there is no need to try and justify either of the scenarios, we are all wired differently.

romy

#42 Post by romy »

one of the best songs ever!!!!!!!!!!! a perfect pet shop boys song,catchy melody,super beat,danceable,wonderful.

Hillbilly

#43 Post by Hillbilly »

Blogo wrote:I can't believe at near 30 years, they are able to put out a track like this. Absolutely remarkable. A proper 10.
I agree! It has become my favourite song on Electric. Although it doesn't have a proper chorus, the verse melody gets stuck in your head. The "sample" is also very catchy and sounds great. The problem is what lines to sing, there are so many of them! The lyrics are genius! I give it a 10. I wish they did more songs like this.

I wonder though, what is "various Riff-Raff"?

By the way, shouldn't Purcell be credited as a co-composer instead of Nyman, because they actually used Purcell's sheet music for the song (read facts on Geowayne's site)? Here it is: http://open.spotify.com/track/7l6Eh1lrka4T8OLUB5V2d4

Harry

#44 Post by Harry »

Hillbilly wrote:

By the way, shouldn't Purcell be credited as a co-composer instead of Nyman, because they actually used Purcell's sheet music for the song (read facts on Geowayne's site)?
"Riff-raff" is a derogatory English term when looking down on someone due to their perceived lower class, one might perceive these people as 'common' (if you were into judging people in such a way, which I'm not). In the song, the protagonist has been living a very 'bourgeois' existence, presumably only associating with other middle-class people. Now he's single, he's hanging out with types he'd previously never have encountered. On Goldhawk Road, which is near Shepherd's Bush in West London.

In the CD inlay, the track is credited to 'Tennant/Lowe/Purcell'.

Harry
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

Hillbilly

#45 Post by Hillbilly »

Harry wrote:
Hillbilly wrote:

By the way, shouldn't Purcell be credited as a co-composer instead of Nyman, because they actually used Purcell's sheet music for the song (read facts on Geowayne's site)?
"Riff-raff" is a derogatory English term when looking down on someone due to their perceived lower class, one might perceive these people as 'common' (if you were into judging people in such a way, which I'm not). In the song, the protagonist has been living a very 'bourgeois' existence, presumably only associating with other middle-class people. Now he's single, he's hanging out with types he'd previously never have encountered. On Goldhawk Road, which is near Shepherd's Bush in West London.

In the CD inlay, the track is credited to 'Tennant/Lowe/Purcell'.

Harry
Thanks for the explanation.

So it is Purcell after all, that's good. Though of course PSB used Nyman's rendition of it, a much slower tempo.