Poll: Has the single mix ruined "Vocal"?

All Community forum polls and results.

Has the Single Mix ruined "Vocal"?

Yes - Neil's voice overwhelms the mix, the live version was much better
47%
No - Neil's voice is at the right volume, it's better than the live version
53%

Total votes: 66

NikacP0kac

Re: Poll: Has the single mix ruined "Vocal"?

#16 Post by NikacP0kac »

Piotrek wrote:Considering that both Axis and Fluorescent have Neil's vocals balanced well in the mix, I'm thinking that the version of Vocal played on the radio is either a special mix made especially for the radio or a pre final mix/mastered version.
But...would they rush the pre-final mix/pre-mastered version out to the radio for THE PREMIERE? That sounds like an awful plan, because not only do they present their most commercial song since Love etc. badly, they also ruin their chances of having a hit quite a bit. Anyways, I still adore the instrumental mix which (when you download the podcast) is a ~219kbps MP3 file, whereas this Radio 2 podcast has a three times worse bit-rate, therefore I blame the quality of the stream for this radio edit debacle.

I think it will turn out much better when less compressed (or lossless) but I'm not getting my hopes up they'll turn Neil's vocal down, but it'll definitely sound better when it's presented to us the way The Boys intended to. Anyways, I give the Stuart Price Mix a tenner, whereas this "radio edit" only gets a 7/10. Still, quite good.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Gary1962

#17 Post by Gary1962 »

The track isn't to my liking at all, to my ears the vocal levels are a bit all over the place, very high in the first section of the track before settling into a more palatable level with the music for the rest of the song. I didn't like the live version and this edit doesn't help the track at all, it's too short.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

jut2k

#18 Post by jut2k »

Undertaker wrote:Vocal single edit is alright. Not as good as the live version sounded but opinions are swayed too easily when the single edit isn't heard first.

End of the day, it's a dance record. It's not really going to be about the lyrics/vocal.

A similar comparision can be made about the single edits of Introspective. None as good as the album versions but maybe that opinion wold have been different if we heard the single edits first.
Not wishing to cause a fuss, but "Left to my own devices (7")" - amazing - although not better than the full-fat version but equally brilliant.
"It's Alright" - both 10" and 7" better than the album version. Not that I dislike the album version, mind.

Boring90

#19 Post by Boring90 »

Needs way more bass. Sounds too tinkly.
Las Vegas 1999

grantwww

#20 Post by grantwww »

What I hate about polls like this is that they are written with a particular agenda. Someone thinks they have to prove a point.

How can you ask if the single mix has ruined the song when you haven't even heard the proper single mix? And what does ruined mean? Surely it means you can't enjoy any version of the song forever more. How silly.

What about the limited answers you can choose from? What about the person (like me) who thinks the volume of Neil's voice is fine but still thinks the live version is better?

tottenhammattspurs

#21 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Won't anybody think about the B-sides!!??!!??!//111????!!?
is is and isnt isnt

Old Soak

#22 Post by Old Soak »

The live version is better but in that environment a song has chance to develop. A radio mix has to get the message across in a shorter space of time and the elements are all there. This makes the edit fit for purpose. Just listened again on a different device and it sounds fine to me, though I'd guess there's some autotune in there rather than live vocals which may be the difference. Very, very excited about this single, it packs a punch.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

jamie1978

#23 Post by jamie1978 »

grantwww wrote:What I hate about polls like this is that they are written with a particular agenda. Someone thinks they have to prove a point.

How can you ask if the single mix has ruined the song when you haven't even heard the proper single mix? And what does ruined mean? Surely it means you can't enjoy any version of the song forever more. How silly.

What about the limited answers you can choose from? What about the person (like me) who thinks the volume of Neil's voice is fine but still thinks the live version is better?
my sincere apologies for not following best practice polling methodology on an internet discussion forum

Waffleon

#24 Post by Waffleon »

Your poll asks a question but the choice of responses you offer answer a different question. I hope you feel you've got both points across though as it seems to be important to you given that one thread isn't enough. I'd question whether you really needed to be so vocal.

Tenlow

#25 Post by Tenlow »

Old Soak wrote:A radio mix has to get the message across in a shorter space of time and the elements are all there.
It still is too short. It should have been around 4 minutes which would have really helped the song, for the song itself is not too short per se (Love etc. for instance isn't much longer either and still a perfect pop song) but the problem with this version of Vocal is that the intro is very long. It's around the one minute mark where the song develops its real pace and after that they tried to fit the remaining song into a little bit more than 2 minutes and that is why it feels so rushed. Vocal isn't a normal pop song with the usual verse chorus verse chorus middle eight chorus structure but a song which builds and builds and then goes mental for the remaining part which is why it clearly needs as much time as it can get. Therefore, I guess the album version will be vastly superior to this a little bit choppy edit.
Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun

Danimal

#26 Post by Danimal »

For me the radio edit hasn't ruined the song, it's just not the best mix they could do.

retrofuturist

#27 Post by retrofuturist »

I don't know, because I haven't listened to either.

I'm waiting until either I get the album, single, or a (non-snippet) promo video is issued (ala Axis).

Retro. :)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

E-Mail Vampire

#28 Post by E-Mail Vampire »

I'm sorry but the single mix/version is awful. The live version made me so excited for the song. It had such bass, passion excitement and oomph. The single mix is a tad lifeless, lacking in excitement. I genuinely thought based on the live version we were looking at a top 20 single but I'm now afraid it will go the same way as all the Elysium singles.

jasonjohn

#29 Post by jasonjohn »

Boring. We can't endlessly judge everything they release.

Ruined? For who? The #1 position?

It's a song they're releasing primarily because it's awesome to tour with.

PSB=YES

#30 Post by PSB=YES »

After hearing the proper studio version i think it's amazing :D
Glasgow 1991, Glasgow 1999, Edinburgh 2002, 02 london 2009, Glasgow 2009, newcastle 2010 Manchester 2013 Edinburgh Hogmanay 13/14

Oh now look what you've gone and done, You're creating pandemonium