2%
No votes
1%
1%

Total votes: 126

Radiophonic

Re: Rate "AXIS"

#61 Post by Radiophonic »

In my opinion the best lead single since Can you forgive her, possibly even better.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

panda magic

#62 Post by panda magic »

i think "axis" is great but i'd like to ask all the people who rated it a 10: what would you rate "being boring" and "left to my own devices" then? 39?

rashomon

#63 Post by rashomon »

I think I'd rate Axis higher if it was a true instrumental - the vocals from both Chris and Neil really grate ... never thought I'd find myself saying that but on this track it is the case for me.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

D.J.

#64 Post by D.J. »

panda magic wrote:i think "axis" is great but i'd like to ask all the people who rated it a 10: what would you rate "being boring" and "left to my own devices" then? 39?
Exactly! :D
From my experience I know that some people in general don't have such a fine grading mechanism, so many songs, movies, books or whatever are "10" for them. I can give only a few 10s to my absolute favorites and bunch of 9.5s. Axis, although pretty exciting is not one of them.

D.J.

#65 Post by D.J. »

Radiophonic wrote:In my opinion the best lead single since Can you forgive her, possibly even better.
Wow, I'm jealous!
For me it's something like New Order's lead single for Technique album back in 1989, "Fine Time". It was an OK, mostly instrumental song that indicated the arrival of something bigger, something exciting. 8)

Radiophonic

#66 Post by Radiophonic »

I love Axis and I voted 10. Being boring and Left to my own devices would also be '10's if that was the highest rating.

I love the track. It's different but still recognisably a Pet Shop Boys song. :)
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

panda magic

#67 Post by panda magic »

D.J. wrote:
panda magic wrote:i think "axis" is great but i'd like to ask all the people who rated it a 10: what would you rate "being boring" and "left to my own devices" then? 39?
Exactly! :D
From my experience I know that some people in general don't have such a fine grading mechanism, so many songs, movies, books or whatever are "10" for them. I can give only a few 10s to my absolute favorites and bunch of 9.5s. Axis, although pretty exciting is not one of them.
yeah it's nice to get excited by new music and everything but let's maintain some perspective here.

10 = what have i done to deserve this, being boring, can you forgive her, minimal
9 = love comes quickly, jealousy, dreaming of the queen, i don't know what you want but i can't give it anymore
8 = king's cross, discoteca, miracles, leaving

so using this special guideline we can clearly see that "axis" is a level 8 pet shop boys song.

Drico One

#68 Post by Drico One »

Such precision. Were you bitten by a spider, too?

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

karnsculpture

#69 Post by karnsculpture »

It's a real grower, and the remix is great too.

glennjridge

#70 Post by glennjridge »

I'm glad alot of fans seem to love it, but I dont think they have the chops to pull off instrumental music.
I mean, I know they can produce intrumentals...I'm talking about having big danceclubs and young people dancing to a instrumental creation like they would a daft punk one. I obviously love the PSB more than a daft punk,but AXIS feels like them dipping their foot into waters thats beyond their abilitys.

AXIS to me sounds like one of those stock "hip" instrumental creations that are the background to powerpoint presentations I have to sit thru at an information technology meeting

panda magic

#71 Post by panda magic »

Drico One wrote:Such precision. Were you bitten by a spider, too?

Drico.
well great. now i'm going to spend precious minutes of my life trying to figure what the hell this means. THANKS DRICO.