2%
No votes
1%
1%

Total votes: 126

Bucky Goldstein

Re: Rate "AXIS"

#46 Post by Bucky Goldstein »

First Impression: 6. Certainly bangin', but the choon feels inconsequential. Pleasingly retro touches, in a "back to our roots" style. Liked the bit where it sounded like it was it was going to launch into Chic's I Want Your Love, but then sadly it didn't...
"...Purchase or hire thirty-eight ripe Spongs. Wheel them home, and shoot them. Then simply bake them, and eat them once. The end."

Vince

#47 Post by Vince »

@Bucky: Yes, I was reminded of that Chic bit too!

It also seems to have an influence of ROFO
H.A.P.P.I.N.E.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.

Nickname

#48 Post by Nickname »

Good ratings for "Axis".

Bucky Goldstein

#49 Post by Bucky Goldstein »

It just got slaughtered on Steve Lurpacks Roundtable on 6Music. Don Letts & 2 blokes whose names I didn't catch gave it 3 out of 10....
"...Purchase or hire thirty-eight ripe Spongs. Wheel them home, and shoot them. Then simply bake them, and eat them once. The end."

Bjossi

#50 Post by Bjossi »

Their taste in music is no more important than anyone else's.

Tero

#51 Post by Tero »

Pretty good song, but by no means perfect.
I'd say an 8, which in my book means about halfway among all their singles.

Drico One

#52 Post by Drico One »

I vacillate between thinking it's a euphoric symphony of hard-edged hi-NRG and a throwaway piece of repurposed lowest-common-denominator generica.

As an album opener, I think it'll be regarded with genuine affection by the fanbase. As the first release from Electric, I think it lacks the traditional song structure and signature Tennantisms that so define the classic Pet Shop Boys single.

It's studded with great moments. The bells at the end recall early-80s Madonna, and the unabashed hi-NRG is festooned with the trademarks of Chris Lowe. In that sense, it's immediately familiar - which is a good thing. If anything, it's refreshing to see them release something as representative of their musical DNA as this. I'm enjoying it as the starter to the main course. On those terms, it whets the appetite.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Flaffer

#53 Post by Flaffer »

Bucky Goldstein wrote:It just got slaughtered on Steve Lurpacks Roundtable on 6Music. Don Letts & 2 blokes whose names I didn't catch gave it 3 out of 10....
You just know if it was by Daft Punk they would have been ferociously indulging in a masturbation fest. Steve Lamacq is a twerp who hasnt been given a new calendar since 1996
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

davee

#54 Post by davee »

I have to say that I have slightly differing opinions of the two versions of Axis.

Axis 3:50 "Video mix": works well as a radio-friendly edit (single or not) and keeps its pace very well

Axis 5:32 "Album mix": I really like the long intro , but there are parts in the middle where it seems to lose its pace a little (3:00-3:30-ish).

I can see that I'll have to make my own edit, including the intro from the Album mix and then proceding as per the Video mix.

Video mix: scores 8; Album mix: scores 7. My version: scores 9 :-D

Simsonio

#55 Post by Simsonio »

Axis gets gets 6 out of 6 thumbs up on the Guardian Music podcast. Great to hear others loving it. Alex is spot on with his Paninaro comparison I reckon.

boyjohn

#56 Post by boyjohn »

Simsonio wrote:Axis gets gets 6 out of 6 thumbs up on the Guardian Music podcast. Great to hear others loving it. Alex is spot on with his Paninaro comparison I reckon.
Music Weekly podcast: the DOT's Mike Skinner and Rob Harvey
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

Lush

#57 Post by Lush »

Drico One wrote:I vacillate between thinking it's a euphoric symphony of hard-edged hi-NRG and a throwaway piece of repurposed lowest-common-denominator generica.

Drico.
That was exactly my thoughts when I listened to it the first couple of times. Now, I am absolutely confident that it's the former. There are so many reasons to love this track. You've got to admire the sheer guts it takes to release something as odd as this as a single (and yes, it is actually a single). To me, it displays a creative power and playfulness that is simply staggering from a band that released its first single more than 25 years ago.
"Unprofessional? Us? Sir. Might I with due respect remind you that Mister Vandemar and myself burned down the City of Troy? We brought the Black Plague to Flanders. We have assassinated a dozen kings, five popes, half a hundred heroes and two accredited gods. Our last commission before this was the torturing to death of an entire monastery in sixteenth century Tuscany. We are utterly professional." - Mr Croup

Ghost within this house

#58 Post by Ghost within this house »

As Price has intimated, this album will be more Disco than Relentless, I reckon.

Relentless is brilliant, but perhaps caught in its time. Disco has retro appeal and is a more re-inventable sound.

But I also think there will be more traditional song elements on Electric than either Disco or Relentless.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

Mr Love

#59 Post by Mr Love »

Alright then, I eventually rated it 8 after my initial thought of 6-7 - I just can't stop playing it, such pure energy! Let's hope the rest of the album is in the same vein... :dance:

Drico One

#60 Post by Drico One »

I think it's tremendous, the most muscularly ecstatic peregrination this side of In the Night.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...