34%
No
66%

Total votes: 41

Naughty Zoot

Re: "Electric" = a new "Very" ?

#61 Post by Naughty Zoot »

MikeyC wrote:
Deschanel wrote:It's funny (or not)- when I look back on Very, I don't just think of the singular album. I think too of all the CD-singles and remixes and videos that came with it to form my impressions (and of course, memories blur over time.) Relentless was kind of its own special thing, but part of that era too, obvs. I guess what I am trying to say that the "experience" of Very in 1993 went from first hearing "Can You Forgive Her" in the car radio with my friends driving back from a camping trip in Vermont that summer, til the very last single with remixes came out much later. I also bought Very the same week I got my first computer (Quadra 840av!) that fall, so listening to it on that machine maybe added to the novelty of it all. In memory, it all goes together, that album as a concept across forms and platforms, not just the songs on the official record proper. Pop music is song-based, but it's not just that; Very was so in opposition to what everyone else at the time was doing- in its proud cartoonish artifice- that is was really something special I think.
SO well said! I, too, feel that 'Very' was more than just an album, but an experience, and I share your memories of first hearing "Can You Forgive Her" and then all the follow up. It was during this time that I started my first job in NYC and later that spring moved into the city, so it's extra special to me. And while I had it already, I would sometimes go into the Tower Records on Broadway in NoHo (my office is now a couple of blocks from there!) and just have joy in seeing the orange 'lego' covered CD's in the racks. Wow, the memories!
Oh yes - Very was what I hungered for. Although hearing just one cut from Behavior in the background while in a shoe store caused me to buy the cassette, I lusted after Very once I heard Can you forgive her? on the radio. And I bought the CD even though I didn't own a CD player @ the time. Talk about your Dusty moment :wink:
But ~ the taste of Electric we've heard so far is just that. A taste. Perhaps a bit tepid a taste..
I like it here ~~ wherever it is ...

Andie

#62 Post by Andie »

Very will always be a special album for me. I still have my Lego CD! Plus it reminds me of my first PSB concert - November 8th 1994 here in Melbourne. I still reckon it's a great album!
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

Nickname

#63 Post by Nickname »

After asking this question about "Electric":

- What are your hopes for Pet Shop Boys new album Electric? Listen to the teaser http://tinyurl.com/cqtbqq5 and tell us with #newPSBalbum.

Looks like the official twitter for Pet Shop Boys has retweeted this PSB fan hope (it could be a clue to know something about it):

@petshopboys Hope it's a full on Stuart Price club album. Relentless 2? #newpsbalbum

Parkol

#64 Post by Parkol »

I also hope Electric will be very good sounding album with a very good mastering. I think the best sounding track of PSB for 13 or even more years was Love Etc.

Ghost within this house

#65 Post by Ghost within this house »

nickname wrote:After asking this question about "Electric":

- What are your hopes for Pet Shop Boys new album Electric? Listen to the teaser http://tinyurl.com/cqtbqq5 and tell us with #newPSBalbum.

Looks like the official twitter for Pet Shop Boys has retweeted this PSB fan hope (it could be a clue to know something about it):

@petshopboys Hope it's a full on Stuart Price club album. Relentless 2? #newpsbalbum
It isn't official, though.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

vincenzosz

#66 Post by vincenzosz »

I don't know why I've heard so much hope for a Relentless 2...? I like Relentless and all but Id be incredibly disappointed if the album was full of predominantly instrumentals. If it was a bonus disc like Relentless was to Very or Yes, etc that's one thing. But after all this anticipation, I'm hoping for a full on vocal album. It would be a waisted opportunity if they used Stuart Price to produce a non-vocal album. In my opinion.

Radiophonic

#67 Post by Radiophonic »

I am sure it will be a proper stand alone album that won't be compared (too much) to their previous work. There is nothing in their back catalogue that reprises or rehashes or is in any way similar to what they've done before and they won't start now.

Neil is a good lyricist, an expressive vocalist and, most importantly, a pop fan. I can't imagine an instrumental set of dance tracks. I know I started a thread about the lead single being an instrumental but I wasn't entirely serious.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Undertaker

#68 Post by Undertaker »

chrissyboy wrote:I really wish you would just f*** off with your negative input.
Youve based your doubts on poor quality youtube clips. How sad.

Hang on, so it is ok to base a positive opinion on the youtube clips but not a negative one? Weird.

To me, Axis sounds PSB by numbers and The Last to Die is just ok - a bit dull. Still, hopefully there will be something exceptional on Electric.
If not, you've always got the Erasure Christmas album to look forward to :lol:

Peter1984

#69 Post by Peter1984 »

hmmm good idea. Foir me the sound is simmilaar. But I'd rather "Very".....