Forum Rules  |   Forum Contacts  |   Problems registering?  |   Official Website

PopArt V Discography

All Community forum polls and results.

Which is preferable: PopArt or Discography?

Poll ended at Mon 05 Apr 2010, 6:55 pm

PopArt
59%
Discography
36%
Some Russian Bootleg PSB Hits Collection I Got On Ebay
5%

Total votes: 44

StevePSB
Site Admin

Re: PopArt V Discography

#31 Post by StevePSB » Mon 22 Mar 2010, 9:25 pm

BlueSwan wrote: And add to that the fact that their post-Discography singles are generally vastly inferior to their Discography singles. Aside from "Was It Worth It", Discography is basically THE perfect pop album. PopArt has duff like Se A Vida E, Home And Dry, I Get Along, etc. polluting the album. Yes there are also some very good post-Discography singles but aside from Can You Forgive Her and Drunk, they're just not in the same league as most of the Discography singles.

That is more or less what I'd say. Discography is near perfection, PSB at the top of their game, an album non-PSB fanatics buy (hence it still being available to buy new nearly 20 years after it's release) . PopArt is flawed both in terms of it's content research before compilation and also in that is has a few duff, or not so great tracks on it.

Discography wins hands down.

StevePSB

morgan1098

#32 Post by morgan1098 » Mon 22 Mar 2010, 9:44 pm

I'd vote Discography as well, for many of the reasons outlined above.

However, I appreciate PopArt for the fact that it includes ALL the singles up to that point, just as Discography did (yes, I know we could argue about the inclusion of Absolutely Fabulous and maybe a couple of others). But if PSB had decided to eliminate the "lesser" singles from the compilation, we'd all be complaining about PopArt being an incomplete collection and asking "Why wasn't (fill in your favorite "lesser" 90s single here) included?"

As for the "wrong mixes" of Suburbia and I Wouldn't Normally..., I was happy to get them simply because I didn't have them on another CD. I agree that the mix of I Wouldn't Normally is the worst single mix of that song, but at least it's different from the same mix that I've already bought once or twice before.

All I'm saying is that PopArt does have a few things going for it, even though Discography is clearly the superior listening experience.

boyjohn

#33 Post by boyjohn » Mon 22 Mar 2010, 11:20 pm

The US version does have the single versions of Heart and Flamboyant, as well as a more "singlish" version of I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing (I'm not sure if it is exactly the single version, but its closer to it than the UK PopArt, which uses a really strange mix). I personally think the "video mix" of Suburbia is way excellent.

Is there much of a diffference in the single mix of New York city boy from the album mix on Nightlife (other than it being edited down for radio)? I dont think i've ever heard the actual single.
“I don't want to believe. I want to know.”
-Carl Sagan

Ramzy

#34 Post by Ramzy » Mon 22 Mar 2010, 11:55 pm

The edit is the only difference: they're both cuts from the same master (the 5.16 album version).

The 'video mix' of Suburbia contains the entire seven-inch within it, so I think it's a little petty to complain about its inclusion. Similarly, the only difference between the album and single versions of 'Opportunities' is that the first seven seconds of the former are absent from the latter. Discography may be the more anal of the two, which categorically explains its appeal to the people on this message board (myself included), but I'd plump for the PopArt versions of both those tracks as mildly better (the seven seconds are utterly, utterly inconsequential, but the intro sounds slightly less schizophrenic with the full sequence intact).
I must disengage your recreational music.

York Minster

#35 Post by York Minster » Tue 23 Mar 2010, 3:58 am

FirthofForth: I think the poster you quoted means the single version and album version for Flamboyant, they vary slightly..
What album was Flamboyant on again? Unless you mean PopArt is the album version in and of itself?
However, I appreciate PopArt for the fact that it includes ALL the singles up to that point, just as Discography did (yes, I know we could argue about the inclusion of Absolutely Fabulous and maybe a couple of others). But if PSB had decided to eliminate the "lesser" singles from the compilation, we'd all be complaining about PopArt being an incomplete collection and asking "Why wasn't (fill in your favorite "lesser" 90s single here) included?"
PopArt only includes the Top 20 singles up to that point.
The US version does have the single versions of Heart and Flamboyant, as well as a more "singlish" version of I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing (I'm not sure if it is exactly the single version, but its closer to it than the UK PopArt, which uses a really strange mix).
Can we clear this up? What is the version of I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing on the UK and what is it on the US? The version I have heard is close to the single version, but with subtle differences. Are we saying that there is a version on some PopArts that is quite different from the single version?
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

York Minster

#36 Post by York Minster » Tue 23 Mar 2010, 4:01 am

It's odd, but I find myself arguing for PopArt even though I tend to love the 80s stuff most. For me, there are only so many times I want to hear West End Girls and then Love Comes Quickly and then Opportunities and then...despite how great those songs are. Some 90s tracks aren't that great to me: Se A Vida E, Before, and some I think are perfectly good: Somewhere, Home and Dry...even if, say, Somewhere isn't an IT's A Sin, for me it's a breath of fresh air to have these tracks mixed in.

What is also interesting is I'm a pop man. I love pure pop. But it's the art disc I listen to most. But as many say, most tracks could be on either. Some, though, like Always On My Mind, are pop, and some, like Being Boring, are art.

boyjohn

#37 Post by boyjohn » Tue 23 Mar 2010, 4:02 am

FirthofForth wrote: Can we clear this up? What is the version of I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing on the UK and what is it on the US? The version I have heard is close to the single version, but with subtle differences. Are we saying that there is a version on some PopArts that is quite different from the single version?
The US PopArt I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing seems very close to the single mix, although it might not be the exact mix. The UK PopArt has an alternate beatmasters mix (i dont care for it, it seems almost out of tune)
-Carl Sagan

York Minster

#38 Post by York Minster » Tue 23 Mar 2010, 5:00 am

Is this alternate beatmasters mix, or whatever you want to call it on youtube or anywhere? I'd like to hear it. I was under the impression that my 3 CD PopArt WAS a UK popart.

boyjohn

#39 Post by boyjohn » Tue 23 Mar 2010, 5:07 am

The Uk is 4:45, the US is 4:29
-Carl Sagan

skyhigh

#40 Post by skyhigh » Tue 23 Mar 2010, 11:58 am

I love 'Was It Worth It?' !!!
That's it, it's all over. We're out of here. What a Legacy! (c) Chris Lowe 2009

morgan1098

#41 Post by morgan1098 » Tue 23 Mar 2010, 4:24 pm

FirthofForth wrote:Is this alternate beatmasters mix, or whatever you want to call it on youtube or anywhere? I'd like to hear it. I was under the impression that my 3 CD PopArt WAS a UK popart.
The 3CD PopArt, regardless of whether it's a UK version or an EU version, has the alternate beatmasters mix on it, which hasn't appeared on any other release. I think the only version of PopArt with the "regular" single mix (the same one heard on CD2 of Very/Further Listening) is the US version.

York Minster

#42 Post by York Minster » Tue 23 Mar 2010, 5:36 pm

So wait, now we are saying that the US version DOES have the correct single mix of Wouldn't Normally on it? This is soooo confusing.

morgan1098

#43 Post by morgan1098 » Tue 23 Mar 2010, 6:27 pm

FirthofForth wrote:So wait, now we are saying that the US version DOES have the correct single mix of Wouldn't Normally on it? This is soooo confusing.
I only have the 3CD EU version, so I don't know for sure. But from what others have said here, yes, it would seem the US version of PopArt has the correct single mix of I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing.

York Minster

#44 Post by York Minster » Tue 23 Mar 2010, 10:58 pm

Anyone with the US version can confirm this?

MD

#45 Post by MD » Wed 24 Mar 2010, 5:48 am

FirthofForth wrote:Anyone with the US version can confirm this?
I own both the UK 3 disc and the US 2 disc versions of Pop Art

When the UK 3 disc version was Pressed/released there was no single version of Flamboyant,
the single mix of Flamboyant was made after Pop Art was already on the shelves.

The US 2 disc version of Pop art was not released until 2006. It is different from the UK release in a few ways:

A-it was not issued with the 3rd disc,
B-No special packaging,
C-It has the Single (radio mix) of Flamboyant,
D-It has the Single (radio mix) of Heart
E-It has the single ( radio mix) of I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing

The single mix of Flamboyant is somewhat different from the original version, I think it is inferior to the UK pop art version. IMO the single version of Heart is better than the version on the UK Pop Art. As for I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing, the single and album versions seem to be very similar and I really can't hear much difference
"Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"