PopArt V Discography

All Community forum polls and results.

Which is preferable: PopArt or Discography?

Poll ended at Mon 05 Apr 2010, 6:55 pm

PopArt
59%
Discography
36%
Some Russian Bootleg PSB Hits Collection I Got On Ebay
5%

Total votes: 44

York Minster

Re: PopArt V Discography

#46 Post by York Minster »

Thanks MD for that rundown.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

York Minster

#47 Post by York Minster »

This is interesting:

I forgot I have the 2006 promo for the US Popart. I'm listening to Heart on it now and it's the album version. It has the publicity contact info, maybe I should ask a question about this?

Does anyone else have a 2006 PopArt promo? IF so, is your Heart the album or single version?

Ramzy

#48 Post by Ramzy »

MD wrote:As for I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing, the single and album versions seem to be very similar and I really can't hear much difference
I apologise if you're kidding and I've totally misconstrued you. If not, however, this is insane. The single mix of I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing is two minutes longer than the album version and the mix is reconstructed from scratch with an entirely different arrangement. Aside from the Introspective cuts, it's the most they've ever changed a track for single release.

What does confuse me slightly is that someone's referenced a 4.29 version. I'm not sure I should make this worse than it already is, but what does the US PopArt version run to? The actual single mix is and always has been 4.45. The album version is 3.03.
I must disengage your recreational music.

York Minster

#49 Post by York Minster »

Ramzy, I think they mean the official single version versus the "popart album" version, not the Very album version.

One of the crowd

#50 Post by One of the crowd »

Ramzy,

Believe someone made a "US Version" of PopArt and included a home made edit [04:29] of I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing as the picture in the file is that of the Very Further Listening CD!

Can someone with an actual copy of US PopArt confirm the track time for I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing, please?
Did Zoe Ball let something slip today? (31:01:24)

territorygal

#51 Post by territorygal »

Have you guys checked the http://www.psb-discography.com site? I'm posting from my Wii at the moment so can't look it up, but I'm pretty sure you can find every tracklist for every version of PopArt & all documented differences between them. It's the first place I check when I have a question about discrepancies. Just a thought...
Oh, and I voted for PopArt. :)
And everything about tonight feels right and so young
And anything I'd want to say out loud will be sung
It's in the music...

boyjohn

#52 Post by boyjohn »

One of the crowd wrote:Ramzy,

Believe someone made a "US Version" of PopArt and included a home made edit [04:29] of I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing as the picture in the file is that of the Very Further Listening CD!

Can someone with an actual copy of US PopArt confirm the track time for I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing, please?
Its 4:29 accordiong to my iTunes directory, which was ripped directly from the US disc....i remember hearing back then that the US is just an early fade...

ok, i just found the actual cd (had to search for it), and WMP lists it at 4:28.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

Drico One

#53 Post by Drico One »

Changing the focus of the topic slightly, it will be interesting to see what form the next "best of" release takes. I suppose we're due another one-CD retrospective at some stage. Let's face it, if released anytime soon, that would be almost exclusively composed of singles up to 1993.

Allowing for around 18 tracks, predicting that Neil and Chris would have nothing to do with it unless it made some concession to their more recent work, and making the logical assumption that the record company would be pushing to include the biggest commercial hits, the track listing would approximate (in chronological order):

1. West End Girls (UK #1)
2. Suburbia (UK #8)
3. It's A Sin (UK #1)
4. What Have I Done To Deserve This? (UK #2)
5. Always On My Mind (UK #1)
6. Heart (UK #1)
7. Domino Dancing (UK #7)
8. Left To My Own Devices (UK #4)
9. It's Alright (UK #5)
10. So Hard (UK #4)
11. Where The Streets Have No Name (Can't Take My Eyes Off You) (UK #4)
12. Can You Forgive Her? (UK #7)
13. Go West (UK #2)
14. Before (UK #7)
15. Se A Vida E (UK #8)
16. You Only Tell Me You Love Me When You're Drunk (UK #8)
17. Miracles (UK #10)
18. I'm With Stupid (UK #8)

Of course, they'd probably want to include two new tracks to get the diehard euro, so you'd likely have to drop one or two of the above. In purely commercial terms, that would surely mean jettisoning two of the three noughties singles - which would possibly portray an impression of commercial irrelevance that Neil and Chris might want to avoid. A possible solution would be to drop one or two of the earlier covers. This would have the happy outcome of fitting in the later records and saving on any royalty losses (if the Sterling Void and U2 tracks went). Opportunities and Rent would be big misses on such a collection if you want to give it chronological breadth, though.

All in all, I can't really see a one-CD release being anything other than unsatisfactory in some way. As a result, I think a chronological 2-disc set comprising 24 tracks would be the best bet. It would be an immense compilation and could comprise the above plus Opportunities, Rent, Being Boring, and Love etc. Or something.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

York Minster

#54 Post by York Minster »

I agree that a one disc hits, like "Hits" by Erasure is a bad idea. Of course, in Erasure's case, they somehow thought 3 tracks from Abbaesque were a good fit. I still don't get that.

Anyway, something I love about PSB is that they are not afraid to play recent stuff. This tour is probably as focused on older songs as any, but tours like Release have almost the entire recent album played.

Ramzy

#55 Post by Ramzy »

If 'Love etc.' is omitted from a singles collection in favour of something that happened to go top ten, I don't think it'll be with their blessing. They'll always have the capacity to reinvent their approach to the back catalogue in the form of a new compilation/package/concept - they just have to avoid being too precious, for which the original one-disc PopArt tracklisting and the recent Party collection demonstrate that they have the capacity.

'I'm with Stupid' got to number eight.
I must disengage your recreational music.

panda magic

#56 Post by panda magic »

York Minster wrote: Can we clear this up? What is the version of I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing on the UK and what is it on the US? The version I have heard is close to the single version, but with subtle differences. Are we saying that there is a version on some PopArts that is quite different from the single version?
sorry to resurrect an old thread, but recently I was making a compilation and sorting through the various versions of "I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing" so this issue has intrigued me again. the differences between the original beatmasters 7" mix and the version that ended up on the UK "pop art" is still a little confounding so I went scouring through the forum archives to get some more information but it appears as though the matter still hasn't been entirely cleared up yet (unless it has somewhere else, in which case I apologize.)

I'm mostly wondering if anyone knows whether the UK "pop art" version was a NEW mix that PSB made (indeed, psb-catalogue.com claims "this version is based on the Beatmasters 7" from 1993 but remastered [my emphasis] by PSB") OR if it is some kind of early unreleased mix from 1993 that ended up on "pop art" by mistake? (for those of you who aren't aware, the UK "pop art" version is similar to the original beatmasters 7" but with a notably different (and more lackluster) bridge (around the 2:10 mark.) when the US "pop art" showed up years later, that version was replaced with an early fade (roughly 17 seconds were cut off the end) of the original beatmasters mix, with the more dynamic bridge section.)

if it WAS a newer version made by PSB, as psb-catalogue claims, then that's super confusing because why would intentionally make an inferior new remix for the UK and then revert back to the original 7" mix for the US release?

Radiophonic

#57 Post by Radiophonic »

I can't remember voting in this poll but I see I voted PopArt. I wonder if I mis-ticked? :eh:

Discography is the better compilation. If they wanted to update the collection they should have just done a 'Discography 2.0'
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

panda magic

#58 Post by panda magic »

Radiophonic wrote:I can't remember voting in this poll but I see I voted PopArt. I wonder if I mis-ticked? :eh:

Discography is the better compilation. If they wanted to update the collection they should have just done a 'Discography 2.0'
yeah this poll happened before I knew about this forum, though I would have voted for "discography." pitchfork (oddly enough) summed it up rather nicely in their a-typically positive review of "pop art":

"Pop/Art is like a two-week fling compared to Discography's dazzling one-night stand . . . The collection certainly doesn't make the Pet Shop Boys look as good as Discography did, and if that's your yardstick for a good compilation-- creating the sense of endless, unfaltering brilliance, and then leaving you with nothing but good feelings for the act-- this might not do the trick; sometime during that two-week fling, you start to see the qualities that take time and inclination to love."

I dug up this old thread hoping to get some more information on that weird mix of "i wouldn't normally do this kind of thing" but I didn't realize it would end up in the "all other polls" section instead of the main discussion. oh well!

Radiophonic

#59 Post by Radiophonic »

This is how they should update Discography every ten years or so. Neil and Chris ageing like Like The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Who wouldn't buy that? :angel:
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Andie

#60 Post by Andie »

Radiophonic wrote:This is how they should update Discography every ten years or so. Neil and Chris ageing like Like The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Who wouldn't buy that? :angel:
Interesting concept! I like it!
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars