Forum Rules  |   Forum Contacts  |   Problems registering?  |   Official Website

Poll ends soon on three favorite non-single covers by PSB

All Geowayne's polls and results.
geowayne

Poll ends soon on three favorite non-single covers by PSB

#1 Post by geowayne » Fri 10 Mar 2017, 5:36 am

Hey there! Tomorrow (Saturday) is the last full day of my current poll, which asks you to choose your three favorite cover songs by the Pet Shop Boys from among those that haven't been released as a single but have been otherwise officially released in studio rendition. If you haven't voted yet, please take a moment to visit my "Commentary" site at http://www.geowayne.com/psbhtml.htm and make your choices from the songs listed right there on my home page.

On Sunday I will end this poll, post the final results, and launch a new survey for the week ahead.

Thanks to everyone who has already voted! And I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Nervously

Re: Poll ends soon on three favorite non-single covers by PSB

#2 Post by Nervously » Fri 10 Mar 2017, 11:01 am

I love "If love were all", though I accept the criticism that it's maybe more of a Neil solo track. I'm sad to see it in the doldrums of the current results.

Up to then I had known Noel Coward only as the writer of comedy songs (maybe only the one, actually; "Mad Dogs and Englishmen"). This one cover version introduced my to his wonderful catalogue of amazing songs, comic and serious. It's also an interesting version in that it dispenses entirely with the verses, just uses one chorus, but slows it right down to give the impression of a verse/chorus/verse/chorus/middle 8/verse/chorus structure. Now I prefer to listen to a version with the actual verses included but it's still an artistically worthwhile cover. They tried the same trick again with "Sail Away" but failed miserably in my opinion.

Hillbilly

#3 Post by Hillbilly » Mon 13 Mar 2017, 2:08 pm

Nervously wrote:
Fri 10 Mar 2017, 11:01 am
I love "If love were all", though I accept the criticism that it's maybe more of a Neil solo track. I'm sad to see it in the doldrums of the current results.

Up to then I had known Noel Coward only as the writer of comedy songs (maybe only the one, actually; "Mad Dogs and Englishmen"). This one cover version introduced my to his wonderful catalogue of amazing songs, comic and serious. It's also an interesting version in that it dispenses entirely with the verses, just uses one chorus, but slows it right down to give the impression of a verse/chorus/verse/chorus/middle 8/verse/chorus structure. Now I prefer to listen to a version with the actual verses included but it's still an artistically worthwhile cover. They tried the same trick again with "Sail Away" but failed miserably in my opinion.
I don't hear the structure of PSB's version being different to the original, heard here (song starts at 1:34):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD2cDCh79f8

Nervously

#4 Post by Nervously » Mon 13 Mar 2017, 3:23 pm

Hillbilly wrote:
Mon 13 Mar 2017, 2:08 pm
Nervously wrote:
Fri 10 Mar 2017, 11:01 am

I don't hear the structure of PSB's version being different to the original, heard here (song starts at 1:34):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD2cDCh79f8
It doesn't start at 1.34, it starts at 0.43. "Life is very rough and tumble for a humble diseuse..." She talk-sings a lot of the verse admittedly.