Forum Rules  |   Forum Contacts  |   Problems registering?  |   Official Website

Final results of poll on influence of Neil's Catholic background

All Geowayne's polls and results.
geowayne

Final results of poll on influence of Neil's Catholic background

#1 Post by geowayne » Sun 05 Mar 2017, 7:12 am

The final results are in for my poll this past week, in which I asked my site visitors about the extent to which they believe Neil's Catholic background has been a theme of and/or has influenced the Pet Shop Boys' songs. And the choice that received the most votes was:

* "I think it's been an important theme or influence, but not really 'predominant,'" chosen by 40.7% of the voters.

To see the complete results, please visit my "Commentary" site at http://www.geowayne.com/psbhtml.htm and select one of the "Past Survey Results" options in the top navigation bar or click the appropriate link on my "What's New?" page.

My new poll for the week ahead asks you choose your three favorite PSB cover songs (that is, songs originally recorded by other artists) that have been officially released in studio versions but have *not* served as single "a-sides." In case you're wondering why I've added those assorted limitations, it's not only to restrict the choices to a more easily manageable number that are more likely to be familiar to most if not all voters, but also to make it more interesting. I mean, if I were to include popular single a-sides like "Always on My Mind" and "Go West" among the choices, is there any doubt that they would come out on top? This way, the poll outcome is much less predictable. At any rate, please take a few moments to choose your three favorites from the remakes listed right there on my home page.

In the meantime, thanks to everyone who voted in last week's survey! And I hope you all have a superb week ahead!

Hillbilly

Re: Final results of poll on influence of Neil's Catholic background

#2 Post by Hillbilly » Tue 07 Mar 2017, 2:34 pm

Does it matter whether we have heard the original version or not? To be honest I'm not 100 % sure what is really the original rendition of songs like "If love were all" and "Losing my mind" - they are from musicals so many different vocalists have been singing those tunes. I guess we just vote for the quality of the song itself.

geowayne

Re: Final results of poll on influence of Neil's Catholic background

#3 Post by geowayne » Wed 08 Mar 2017, 5:00 am

Hillbilly wrote:
Tue 07 Mar 2017, 2:34 pm
Does it matter whether we have heard the original version or not? To be honest I'm not 100 % sure what is really the original rendition of songs like "If love were all" and "Losing my mind" - they are from musicals so many different vocalists have been singing those tunes. I guess we just vote for the quality of the song itself.
No, I really don't think it matters that much whether you've heard the original. I mean, it might make a difference for many people, but I don't think it's essential by any means to make a determination based on how much you like the PSB recording, period.

Thanks!