Poll ends soon on PSB songs the Boys themselves don't like

All Geowayne's polls and results.
geowayne

Poll ends soon on PSB songs the Boys themselves don't like

#1 Post by geowayne » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 7:09 am

Hey there! Tomorrow (Saturday) is the last full day of my current poll, which asks you to consider the Pet Shop Boys songs that Neil and/or Chris have themselves said they don't much like and indicate, of them, which ones are (1) your own personal favorite, (2) your least favorite, (3) the one that surprises you most that one or both of the Boys don't like, and (4) the one that strikes you as the most "quintessentially PSB." If you haven't voted yet, please take a moment to visit my "Commentary" site at http://www.geowayne.com/psbhtml.htm and make your choices right there on my home page.

On Sunday I will end this poll, post the final results, and launch a new survey for the week ahead.

Thanks to everyone who has already voted! And I hope you all have a marvelous weekend!

Hillbilly

Re: Poll ends soon on PSB songs the Boys themselves don't like

#2 Post by Hillbilly » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 8:47 am

I cannot believe Chris doesn't like "So hard", one of their greatest singles! So that's why it's not that very often performed in concert?
I also think that B-sides like "A certain 'Je ne sais quoi'" and "Hit and miss" are masterpieces. I wonder what kind of pop music Chris really likes to be honest if he doesn't like PSB's own genius pop songs.

As a least favourite I had to choose "The loving kind", mostly because it's a song I've only heard a few times.

Disco.

#3 Post by Disco. » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 9:45 am

Well, he loves the David Morales remix of So Hard.

tottenhammattspurs

#4 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 9:52 am

Neil's on record as saying he doesn't like Was That What It Was, to the point where they'd re-release Opportunities just to have a different B-Side. Personally I love it.
is is and isnt isnt

Hillbilly

#5 Post by Hillbilly » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 10:50 am

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Fri 24 Feb 2017, 9:52 am
Neil's on record as saying he doesn't like Was That What It Was, to the point where they'd re-release Opportunities just to have a different B-Side. Personally I love it.
Yes, I like it too. It is much better than the similar "That's my impression", which is probably my least favourite track on Alternative.

Pod

#6 Post by Pod » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 2:44 pm

Interesting that So Hard and Was That What It Was have orchestra clashes all over them, as does That's my Impression. Maybe they feel they sound dated...
Just my impression...
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Luke Colorado

#7 Post by Luke Colorado » Fri 24 Feb 2017, 3:11 pm

"Was That What It Was?" is f'ing brilliant. Top 3 Please-era track, and a top 10 overall track.

"That's my Impression" and "A Man Could Get Arrested" make my ears bleed.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

Dog

#8 Post by Dog » Sun 26 Feb 2017, 11:01 am

tottenhammattspurs wrote:Neil's on record as saying he doesn't like Was That What It Was, to the point where they'd re-release Opportunities just to have a different B-Side. Personally I love it.
My memory is of him saying they would reissue to have a different sleeve. But he has separately said it's his least favourite track of theirs.

The released version of WTWIW? is a remix, isn't it? I always wondered what the original must have sounded like.
Woof.