Forum Rules  |   Forum Contacts  |   Problems registering?  |   Official Website

The Management - Kids (PSB Abstrakt mix)

Q&As about collecting and collections, items and value of PSB related material. Discuss new and old PSB collector items.
Sandy Shaw

Re: The Management - Kids (PSB Abstrakt mix)

#61 Post by Sandy Shaw » Sat 13 Dec 2008, 6:32 pm

Have we decided whether Neil does provide additional vocals? I think he does join in with the odd 'enjoy yourself' line but it is quite subtle. Moves away from PSB remixes turning into duets!!!!
What's for supper?

Corina

Re: MGMT - Kids (PSB Abstrakt mix)

#62 Post by Corina » Sat 13 Dec 2008, 6:38 pm

Sandy Shaw wrote: Maybe the Boys called it Abstrakt mix with a 'k' as they were working with Kompakt at the time!
Yes, German style! We all know that they love Germany.
Sandy Shaw wrote: I think he does join in with the odd 'enjoy yourself' line
Actually, it`s "control yourself" - according to some sites with songs` lyrics. (I also tend to understand "enjoy yourself"...!)
What remains in time
that didn't fade away?

Deschanel

#63 Post by Deschanel » Sat 13 Dec 2008, 9:09 pm

Rusty wrote:It would be interesting to know why the remixes were rejected. They're both excellant, especially the synthpop mix. So who ended up with the "official" remixes does anyone know?
I'm not certain, but I suspect it's because MGMT are a Brooklyn hipster band, and perhaps they don't want to spoil their "indie rock" cred too much with these mixes? Just a guess. Reminds me SO much of Chris Lowe reminiscing that at university, everyone listened to "serious" rock n roll, but come Saturday night at a party, they all loved disco, songs they'd never own up to liking during the week, sober. Some things never change.

Doesn't the screaming woman sound like Courtney Love? I suspect this is purposefully. And yeah, the opening to the Synthpop mix is very "Funkytown".

fluffmoln

#64 Post by fluffmoln » Sat 13 Dec 2008, 9:34 pm

Deschanel wrote:I'm not certain, but I suspect it's because MGMT are a Brooklyn hipster band, and perhaps they don't want to spoil their "indie rock" cred too much with these mixes? Just a guess. Reminds me SO much of Chris Lowe reminiscing that at university, everyone listened to "serious" rock n roll, but come Saturday night at a party, they all loved disco, songs they'd never own up to liking during the week, sober. Some things never change.
There's a Soulwax remix of it on the cd single.
Deschanel wrote:Doesn't the screaming woman sound like Courtney Love? I suspect this is purposefully. And yeah, the opening to the Synthpop mix is very "Funkytown".
Screaming woman? Isn't that just the same guy yelling the lyrics?
Additionally, you can singalong the chorus to Haddaway's What Is Love to this song (which was recorded first in 2004!).

Corina

#65 Post by Corina » Sun 14 Dec 2008, 6:24 am

In my humble pethead opinion, the PSB mixes (especially the Synthpop one) sound better than the "hipster" (thanks Deschanel for a new word!) original MGMT version.
What remains in time
that didn't fade away?

yves

#66 Post by yves » Sun 14 Dec 2008, 12:50 pm

Fugitive1979 wrote:
Tom Angel wrote:And does any good soul know the 'number' for it?
Some random numbers have popped into my head. These are 647 and 649. 8)
THANKS !!!
This must be the place I waited years to leave

Syncratic

#67 Post by Syncratic » Sun 14 Dec 2008, 2:58 pm

fluffmoln wrote:
Deschanel wrote:I'm not certain, but I suspect it's because MGMT are a Brooklyn hipster band, and perhaps they don't want to spoil their "indie rock" cred too much with these mixes? Just a guess. Reminds me SO much of Chris Lowe reminiscing that at university, everyone listened to "serious" rock n roll, but come Saturday night at a party, they all loved disco, songs they'd never own up to liking during the week, sober. Some things never change.
Deschanel wrote:Doesn't the screaming woman sound like Courtney Love? I suspect this is purposefully. And yeah, the opening to the Synthpop mix is very "Funkytown".
Additionally, you can singalong the chorus to Haddaway's What Is Love to this song (which was recorded first in 2004!).
No it wasn't. It was 1992.

Tom Angel

#68 Post by Tom Angel » Sun 14 Dec 2008, 4:40 pm

Fugitive1979 wrote:
Tom Angel wrote:And does any good soul know the 'number' for it?
Some random numbers have popped into my head. These are 647 and 649. 8)
Thanks a tonne Fugitive. As ever. Lovely, lovely mixes. One of their best - they seem to be upping a gear since Fundamental. Incredible really. Love etc for number 1?!
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

sparky

#69 Post by sparky » Sun 14 Dec 2008, 5:10 pm

Hi guys this is my first post - i just joined on here today. These PSB mixes are great. Had never heard of MGMT before. But just shows the boys still have what it takes.... :)

Corina

#70 Post by Corina » Sun 14 Dec 2008, 5:20 pm

Hi Sparky, welcome.
What remains in time
that didn't fade away?

sparky

#71 Post by sparky » Sun 14 Dec 2008, 5:26 pm

thanks! :)

Deschanel

#72 Post by Deschanel » Sun 14 Dec 2008, 8:10 pm

>"Screaming woman? Isn't that just the same guy yelling the lyrics?"<

Yeah, you're probably right. But the pitch is altered enough that it sounded female to me at first, and the singer is screaming in a way that doesn't occur in the main verses. And I think that the screamer is indeed meant to sound like Courtney Love- it's kind of unmistakeable- youngsters to whom MGMT are appealing consider her cool in a retro way. Yes, as horrible as it sounds, 90's nostalgia has already begun.

And yeah, that "Control yourself" does sound like Neil, but I think it's the main singer, pitch altered. Wish it were Neil, he always adds to a song's presence.

The sweeping synths sound a lot like "Power of Goodbye" from Ray of Light. (Which in turn sounds a lot like the chord progression of Tom Petty's "You're So Bad", funnily.)

Am loving both of these mixes this weekend, but must admit i'm partial to they Synthpop version.
Last edited by Deschanel on Sun 14 Dec 2008, 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Parkol

#73 Post by Parkol » Sun 14 Dec 2008, 9:58 pm

I understand why MGMT decided not to add their mixes to their single...
It's just because... they wanted to get professional product with intersting sound and etc from Pet Shop Boys who did a lot of fantastic records... but they got fan mix that was made on Casio and sound card creative SB live 5.1 1998 by 15 years old boy.
The quality of mixes are really low.

I am surprised how they produced such the exelent mix for Bowie in 1996.
warm pad+synth bass(arp)+pop drums+ a couple of sfx effects and... of course reverb.

fluffmoln

#74 Post by fluffmoln » Sun 14 Dec 2008, 11:45 pm

Syncratic wrote:
fluffmoln wrote:
No it wasn't. It was 1992.
Thanks for misunderstanding that sentence, dumbo.

Deschanel

#75 Post by Deschanel » Mon 15 Dec 2008, 2:51 am

I'd appreciate if you'd clarify whether you're talking to Syncratic or myself. And if that insult was directed at me, I will be quite cross. And vocal.