The Super Tour

For discussion and photos of PSB live performances.
fabpet

Re: The Super Tour

#31 Post by fabpet »

My quick review from yesterday's show in Oakland:
"Not their best show but not their worst"...
Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the Boys performing and have followed their tours since Nightlife, but I was a little disappointed... It felt like it was lacking energy.
First, there are no dancers or much theatrics and then, I felt the acoustic instruments slowed down many songs... Burn, Sodoma, Go West, It's a Sin, Vocal, to name a few, felt a little flat with the acoustic instruments in the mix and in need of more energy .

The laser show was impressive but so it was during the Electric Tour... I guess I was expecting an Electric Tour part 2 but what I got was a better version of the Release Tour with lasers.

I regretted not going to a second show during the Electric Tour and I was thinking about buying a second ticket for the second show here but changed my mind after seeing it.

Again, just my opinion... There're still incredible and you should go it them.

XOXO

bongsteve

#32 Post by bongsteve »

Just got back from the Los Angeles show...loved it. Much better than the Electric tour IMO, possibly because the sound in the Shrine (at least where we were sitting) made most of the show unlistenable.

Really enjoyed the additional performers, nice to see some extra musicians onstage to mix things up a bit...and they all sounded quite good IMO.

Only thing I didn't like was the new version of Left to my own devices and maybe just a little too much overuse of lasers. But really minor things, just very enjoyable all the way around.

df118junkie

#33 Post by df118junkie »

bongsteve wrote:Just got back from the Los Angeles show...loved it. Much better than the Electric tour IMO, possibly because the sound in the Shrine (at least where we were sitting) made most of the show unlistenable.

Really enjoyed the additional performers, nice to see some extra musicians onstage to mix things up a bit...and they all sounded quite good IMO.

Only thing I didn't like was the new version of Left to my own devices and maybe just a little too much overuse of lasers. But really minor things, just very enjoyable all the way around.
I agree that the show was great - and not a hint of other tours (as has been suggested elsewhere). Not one song was in it's original incarnation, which I love. I agree that Left to my own devices lost some of it's majesty. In The Night - Burn was a great moment. I think Twenty-Something fell very flat...certainly after a vibrant Se A Vida E. Inside A Dream also lost a few people. Winner should never be played except as an instrumental.

bongsteve

#34 Post by bongsteve »

df118junkie wrote:
bongsteve wrote:Just got back from the Los Angeles show...loved it. Much better than the Electric tour IMO, possibly because the sound in the Shrine (at least where we were sitting) made most of the show unlistenable.

I agree that the show was great - and not a hint of other tours (as has been suggested elsewhere). Not one song was in it's original incarnation, which I love. I agree that Left to my own devices lost some of it's majesty. In The Night - Burn was a great moment. I think Twenty-Something fell very flat...certainly after a vibrant Se A Vida E. Inside A Dream also lost a few people. Winner should never be played except as an instrumental.
Yep, agree on Twenty-Something...I loved Inside A Dream (my favorite PSB track in recent memory) but a lot of people probably didn't have a clue what it was. Winner was ok but paled in comparison to Home and Dry. I think the only thing that really hinted of the past tour was the generous use of lasers and strobes.

rollo

#35 Post by rollo »

df118junkie wrote:I agree that the show was great - and not a hint of other tours (as has been suggested elsewhere). Not one song was in it's original incarnation, which I love. I agree that Left to my own devices lost some of it's majesty. In The Night - Burn was a great moment. I think Twenty-Something fell very flat...certainly after a vibrant Se A Vida E. Inside A Dream also lost a few people. Winner should never be played except as an instrumental.
Twenty-Something went down very well where I was standing. The person behind me was trying to Shazam it (which didn't work, perhaps not too surprisingly).
Check out my new music blog...
http://musicforstowaways.wordpress.com/

spooky

#36 Post by spooky »

... and which song was this?!

Bulldog

#37 Post by Bulldog »

possibly Dictator?

kevinsane61

#38 Post by kevinsane61 »

My wife and I saw the Boys in Vancouver. She was hoping to see dancers, as in the Pandemonium shows. We were right against the stage, so the die hards like me knew the words to Winner and Twenty Something, but I'll be fine if I never see either performed live again. The set list was otherwise really good, with a total of twenty two songs played. The Dictator Decides has fantastic lyrics, but fell flat with most of the audience.

kevinsane61

#39 Post by kevinsane61 »

I don't think so. For Dictator in Vancouver Neil donned a long coat and Russian hat.

Drem

#40 Post by Drem »

More like "New York City boy". During "The dictator decides" Neil wears different jacket, dark glasses and high hat:
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

SandMtnTexan

#41 Post by SandMtnTexan »

I'll be at the Nashville performance on Friday night and the Atlanta performance on the 14th. I'm hoping for one or two hidden gems in the setlists.

blureu

#42 Post by blureu »

SandMtnTexan wrote:I'll be at the Nashville performance on Friday night and the Atlanta performance on the 14th. I'm hoping for one or two hidden gems in the setlists.
Atlanta for me also. I thought Symphony Hall was a great venue for them on the last tour.

SandMtnTexan

#43 Post by SandMtnTexan »

Great show last night. Highlights for me were "Love Is a Bourgeois Construct," "Love Comes Quickly" and "Vocal."

themgnt

#44 Post by themgnt »

Saw them last night in Chicago with my family. Experience was marred by a group of people immediately behind us who talked through much of the first half of the concert. Like, conversation. They weren't singing along, just chatting. The guys next to us were getting really annoyed to the point where one forcibly switched places with his partner because he was about to blow up/ They were loud enough where I couldn't really hear what I came for. During Home and Dry, when I literally could not hear Neil I turned and gave a (what I intended to be a) 'C'mon guys. I can't hear the show...'. The woman apologized and toned it down.

Later during It's a Sin, this woman's favorite song, she starts scream 'I f*** LOVE THIS!!' over and over. The guys next to me asked them to watch the language due to my kids (I really wasn't concerned, they're old enough and not grade school age, and I wasn't offended because she was enjoying the song, which is still annoying but within acceptability). When the woman tried to hug one of the guys next to me I finally turned to see what was going on. She then tried to hug me. I told her 'you guys really need to stop or I'll call security.' Boyfriend goes off on me because 'it's a concert'. I told him yeah, sing along and enjoy it, but you're just talking and being disrespectful. One of the guys next to me disappeared and soon security showed up. I didn't hear what was said but Boyfriend was clearly annoyed with this. They didn't make a sound during the rest of the concert. I thought they were thrown out but they were still behind us after the show.

Sorry for ranting but I just don't understand how people can be so self centered that they cant understand when their behavior is annoying others around them, and they have to argue back when asked to stop. This experience is forever going to be tarnished in my mind and I didn't get to enjoy my favorite band of the last 25 years. These people only knew the old songs, which is fine, but did they have to talk like they're in a bar during the rest of the show? Can they not understand this is distracting to people who actually like the band like the six people immediately in front of them?

At the very least we got to enjoy the final half a dozen songs, which were awesome.

The light show was amazing, but I felt there was kind of a dead section in the setlist. Se a Vida e through to Enigma was kind of, dare I say, boring. I know some people will argue back, and that's fine. SAVE is an alright song, but just alright. LCC is ok. Love Etc I never really cared for, Dictator is a song I'm not too familiar with because I often skip it but it wasn't too bad during the show, Inside a Dream is another I skip, then Home and Dry (which I like but by this stage I felt the show was dragging). Any of these mixed in would have been fine, but as a seven song group... not for me.

But, whoa man, Vocal, S&GS, Sin, Devices, Go West... amazing!

spooky

#45 Post by spooky »

themgnt wrote:Saw them last night in Chicago with my family. Experience was marred by a group of people immediately behind us who talked through much of the first half of the concert. Like, conversation. They weren't singing along, just chatting. The guys next to us were getting really annoyed to the point where one forcibly switched places with his partner because he was about to blow up/ They were loud enough where I couldn't really hear what I came for. During Home and Dry, when I literally could not hear Neil I turned and gave a (what I intended to be a) 'C'mon guys. I can't hear the show...'. The woman apologized and toned it down.

Later during It's a Sin, this woman's favorite song, she starts scream 'I f****** LOVE THIS!!' over and over. The guys next to me asked them to watch the language due to my kids (I really wasn't concerned, they're old enough and not grade school age, and I wasn't offended because she was enjoying the song, which is still annoying but within acceptability). When the woman tried to hug one of the guys next to me I finally turned to see what was going on. She then tried to hug me. I told her 'you guys really need to stop or I'll call security.' Boyfriend goes off on me because 'it's a concert'. I told him yeah, sing along and enjoy it, but you're just talking and being disrespectful. One of the guys next to me disappeared and soon security showed up. I didn't hear what was said but Boyfriend was clearly annoyed with this. They didn't make a sound during the rest of the concert. I thought they were thrown out but they were still behind us after the show.

Sorry for ranting but I just don't understand how people can be so self centered that they cant understand when their behavior is annoying others around them, and they have to argue back when asked to stop. This experience is forever going to be tarnished in my mind and I didn't get to enjoy my favorite band of the last 25 years. These people only knew the old songs, which is fine, but did they have to talk like they're in a bar during the rest of the show? Can they not understand this is distracting to people who actually like the band like the six people immediately in front of them?
... and this is why i really don't go to concerts anymore. it's just not worth it for me. i've yelled at people that talk thru the non-hits and then sing along horribly thru the hits. i usually tell people, if you wanna talk, take it to the lobby. i paid to see the band perform, not to hear you talk.