Nottingham... Wow !

For discussion and photos of PSB live performances.
davenjulieuk

Nottingham... Wow !

#1 Post by davenjulieuk »

Just got back from the show and without doubt the best show i have ever seen. From the moment chris bounded on stage in a playful mood i knew it was going to be great ! The set list was the same as before on being boring though :-(. By the way think chris was on the happy pills making all sorts of rubbish up for paninaro socks shoes ties etc and all other clothing... Strange ! Cracking night made even better as on the front row in my sexy northener shirt and sylvia kept offering me the mic !
Miracles happen when you're around...

midnighter

#2 Post by midnighter »

I was there too, its been a mad few days, saw them at Manchester Apollo, then at the bbc gig last night, and now in Nottingham, was great, everyone was sat down till heart started and one brave soul got up and waved...then it was a free for all with Neil (who came out at the end from the stage door to sign a few things) making the comment.."good to see you standing up, well most of you!".....amazing show again, sound quality not as good as the radio 2 gig, but more than made up for in atmosphere.
ONe thing one of the guys at the stage door told us that were waiting was that as soon as the show was finished Chris was staright out the door, and to make his escape we were told that all he does is take his cap and glasses off, put a jacket on and hes away, no one spots him...
There was no Home and dry tonight I dont know if anyone else noticed. And yes, I hope someone got the opening on film, Chris from that moment was quite mad. Few elaborate changes in songs too, have got a pic of the crowd from where I was sat and will post up in the other section when I get a chance tomorrow.
LMB......
"did you get what you want?, Do you know what it is? do you care?"

Jerry-S

#3 Post by Jerry-S »

First statement of this post - what the hell was Chris on??? That entrance was amazingly different to all the other shows I have been to and yes, Paninaro was made classic once more by Chris's antics, very, very good.

:lol: My missus was the one Neil pointed to when referring to those who were still sat. HA HA, as soon as he said about "It's nice to see you all standing", both my missus and I just sank into our seats because we knew what was coming, :lol:

I thought it was excellent too, but as said, it was a bit of a slow start until 'Heart'. It was one of those, "Do I sit or stand??" venues. Obviously we want to dance but when you have paid for a seat, you may want to take advantage of it, :lol:

Its such a shame that all sat back down during ' numb' as it sort of killed the atmos for a few minutes until we were all standing again. Sylvia also referred to a couple of people who were sat down during one of her solo bits, so if you read this and were on row A around seats 20-25, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE :lol:

The possibility of N&C getting wind of what gets said on here has been mentioned many times so if thats the case:

"N&C, Fantastic show as always, but drop 'Numb', its a bit of a downer smack in the middle of 2 get up and dance numbers. Thanks for some great performances."

Also if theres any chance of a volume measurement, that'll be great.

Just a quick hello to the chap i met from Derby. Hope you got home safely.

S-sense

#4 Post by S-sense »

What was so special about the entrance?

trussy74

#5 Post by trussy74 »

Well I thought Numb was a beautiful moment. Sounded and looked great when I saw them at Wolverhampton.

Dipso

#6 Post by Dipso »

I so wish I could have gone to the Nottingham show last night. It's not every day that the Pets play your hometown after all.

As for Home and Dry, Chris says in Literally that he dislikes performing it, so perhaps he has finally got his way.
Prick up your ears.

Roundhead General

#7 Post by Roundhead General »

I have to agree it was a great show. Couldn't hear alot of Chris's vocal for Paninaro back in row T but I loved how he just suddenly shouted some of the vocals like an angry yob. excellent!
Was really glad when people at the front started standing during Heart. People at the back were a bit reluctant but I thought stuff this and got up anyway. I can't believe the couple in front who sat down during the whole thing & kept giving me funny looks for dancing & clapping. Why bother going!!
Overall a great night & the best PSB show I've been to.
For in a secret life I was a roundhead general

davenjulieuk

#8 Post by davenjulieuk »

Yes i was right on the left side and the woman sat down on the front row had a right face on lol ! Loved the way chris came on to the stage jumping around like a loony and giving us all cheesy grins and big waves it made my night btw i was the first one to stand up for heart and i thought i hope some people get up with me or i am gonna look like a twot lol
Miracles happen when you're around...

popfreak

#9 Post by popfreak »

I thought the night was on of the worst PSB gigs I have been to.
The sound was awful and not loud enough. Some of Chris's keyboards parts were so poor they ruined the songs for me. Especially Domino dancing where he changed the main riff that leads into the song.

As for paninaro his vocal changes would have worked if we could tell what the hell he was saying. Plus the reason he shouted like a madman halfway through was because he had lost his place in the song. He looked over to Pete in a worried confused state before shouting.

As for the new set design one word, amateur.

Liverpool last year was fantastic and maybe that’s why I found last night so poor. I am glad that I am the only one that didn't really enjoy it and maybe there is something inherently wrong with my taste.

As for complaining about people not standing I don’t understand.
I am someone that stands and last night was no exception (I was in the stalls) but if PSB continue to play venues that have seats some people will expect to want to sit down, its there prerogative just like its ours to stand. Its just ours impedes theirs.
One couple near me went and asked one of the ushers if they could ask if anyone in the tiers would like to swap seats with them. I thought that was a fantastic solution.

Jerry-S

#10 Post by Jerry-S »

I have to agree that I thought it was quieter than it could have been. Again, its all about atmosphere and although I did enjoy it, in my opinion it wasnt as good as Wolverhampton. As I was on the front row, I assumed it was becuse the sound was aimed more behind me than anything else.

I thought some of Chris's improvisations were quite good, but again, I got the distinct impression that it was a case of him amusing homself more than entertaining the crowd. It certainly made a change though.

One last point, we had a couple behind us who were repeatedy 'tutting' becuse we were standing. Fair do, its a seated venue, but come on, did you really expect people to stay seated?? It was too full of energy to do so. Anyway, we were so low below the stage action that I cant see you really missed much.
One couple near me went and asked one of the ushers if they could ask if anyone in the tiers would like to swap seats with them. I thought that was a fantastic solution
My other half and I had this very discussion on the way home. I was quick to buy the tickets on the pre-sale and as a result got the seats we did. Although I was happy with them, I think if I had been given a choice, I would have sat 3 or 4 rows further back. Its a shame the ticket sellers just offer you a seat based on numerical order.

Its a shame, popfreak, that you didnt enjoy it. I cant say I 100% was satisfied but i enjoyed it anyway.
S-sense wrote:What was so special about the entrance?
I am assuming that you were not there, but it was not a case of special, just different and amusing. Chris came on dancing and messing about. Neil just stood laughing at him. :lol:

Anyway, rant over :lol:

Rizzo

#11 Post by Rizzo »

Hello Everyone, I have decided to come out of my 4 year posting hibernation to add my thoughts to last night!

I was also on the front row, and I think 'sitting-gate' was quite a big issue! I expected everyone to stand from the beginning and was really surprised when no one got up! I was glad when some of you brave souls got up for Heart and I got up then as well.

Although I did sit down again a couple of times as I was quite far over on the left and when the woman sitting to my left wasn't standing, I was blocking her view when I was standing so I took my cues from her and then she stood up for most of it so I did to.

At one point I chose the worst possible time to sit down! I had literally just sat down for a second to get my bottle of water from under my seat and it was at that point that Neil made his comment about 'most people' standing up!

Of course everyone then looked in the direction of all the people sitting down and I wanted the ground to open up!!

Towards the end there were only 2 people still sitting down on the front row. And my husband was one of them!! He did get up briefly but then decided to sit back down and I spent most of the evening kicking him and telling him to stand up because it looked really conspicuous! It's safe to say he is well and truly in the dog house this morning!!! When Sylvia was singing directly to my husband and the woman sitting down next to him I could have died of embarrassment!

But other than that, I thought it was a really good night. I can't believe how close to the stage we were and had a lot of eye contact and interraction with the dancers/backing singers.

I think sound wise we'd have been better a little further back, especially during Paninaro as I couldn't make out a word Chris was saying! Other than something about socks?!?!

Anyway a quick hello to any of the forum veterans who may remember me from the distant past! :D

Obviously

#12 Post by Obviously »

Rizzo wrote: I expected everyone to stand from the beginning and was really surprised when no one got up!
Ahem - I was on row C right in front of Chris and stood up as soon as We're the Pet Shop Boys kicked in, but no one joined me so after about a minute I sank back into my seat defeated. I hate you all.

I thought Chris's improvisations were fab and certainly answered a few posters on here who have suggested it's all on tape etc. Some of his jamming was brilliant.

I've never seen Chris act like he did last night. Just a shame he didn't hand out whatever he was on!!

"Food, cars, travel (or was it traffic?)
Socks, underwear and other items of clothing"

Barmy sod. Top night.

James
Muchos gracias senor

Pet Shop Girl

#13 Post by Pet Shop Girl »

I am glad you had a great time. The UK fan response has been fab, its just curious again how they left out Scotland and only festival gig in Ireland. Do most of the bands not give proper shows in Ireland anymore?

Trixiemix

#14 Post by Trixiemix »

It was a great night !! The 'Chris dance' was amazingly funny! I got a lovely handshake from Neil earlier that day and got my programme signed :)
Back to Trafalgar.........

Dipso

#15 Post by Dipso »

Obviously wrote: Ahem - I was on row C right in front of Chris and stood up as soon as We're the Pet Shop Boys kicked in, but no one joined me so after about a minute I sank back into my seat defeated. I hate you all.
I'll never forget when you were the sole audience member standing at the Savoy and Sylvia seranaded you. Ah, happy days. :P

I always want to stand up the moment the Pets come on but if you are in the stalls it is easy to feel pressured by those seated behind you. I don't quite understand why people can be so determined to sit during concerts, especially during fast numbers.
Prick up your ears.